Thread: Psycho Goreman (film)

Administrator

England

Psycho Goreman (film)

Why does Psycho sound like a transformer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4tizc0IAVQ
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I quite want to see this - some of the Astron-6 filmmaking folk are involved in this, and IIRC it's from some of the people involved in The Void.

Ireland
    It's not very good I'm afraid.

The bottom line is, the potential was there but it was scuppered at every turn by a severe lack of budget.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post

The bottom line is, the potential was there but it was scuppered at every turn by a severe lack of budget.
    Shame

Not even as a guilty pleasure flick?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Um no.

I'd say give it a go, purely because there's bugger all new coming out that's worth a damn. But it's cheapness really does hold it back. With a bigger budget, it undoubtedly would have been better. As it stands, it's a film I ended up wanting to like more than I did.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

I laughed out loud when the dude in the trailer said, "Many moons ago" and was serious about. That can only be said in jest or it sounds...ridiculous.

This fails immediate with me on two fronts: The kids. Kids are an immediate and total fail for me. I've never been interested in stories with children as the main character. Silver Bullet is the exception that proves the rule. Second fail -The "makeup" looks like cosplay.
    Last edited by Mike70; 20-Feb-2021 at 05:09 PM. Reason: d
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    I laughed out loud when the dude in the trailer said, "Many moons ago" and was serious about. That can only be said in jest or it sounds...ridiculous.

This fails immediate with me on two fronts: The kids. Kids are an immediate and total fail for me. I've never been interested in stories with children as the main character. Silver Bullet is the exception that proves the rule. Second fail -The "makeup" looks like cosplay.
    Even for Stand By Me?!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Even for Stand By Me?!
    Damn you. I forgot about that one.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Rising

United States
    This fails immediate with me on two fronts: The kids. Kids are an immediate and total fail for me. I've never been interested in stories with children as the main character. Silver Bullet is the exception that proves the rule.
    That is generally true, but there's more than one exception. The first two The Omen movies, or the first The Exorcist, for example. Notice, though, that these movies (including your own Silver Bullet example) are a mix of children and adults as the main characters. Rarely do we see interesting (for adults) movies with children exclusively as the main characters.

Ireland

In fairness, the kids try their best. But...they're kids, which means you automatically have to allow them some leeway. Plus, there's the low budget which means more leeway. But even with that, the movie just fails too much in the end for me to be positive about it. It's a shame, cos the concept is great. I also liked the idea that

one of the kids is a psycho, herself, and her brother is a complete goody two shoes bore that PG keeps forgetting the name of because he's so bland.

But, yeah, I have never been that enthused about kids in TV or movies, even as a kid myself. Especially American kids, who mostly come off a spoilt, bratty, and in need of a good slap. That said, there's been some good movies with kids in the central roles, like the previously mentioned 'Stand By Me' (a film that's almost universally loved), but they are few and very far between.

As for the makeup, again this is down to the budget constraints. They did the best they could with the little money that they had I spose.

Super Moderator

UK
    Kids in movies...

What about The Goonies?

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Kids in movies...

What about The Goonies?
    It was OK, but the 1985 Commodore 64 video game by Datasoft was actually better than the movie (one of the rare instances of this):

The gameplay was pretty innovative at the time. Even though it can be played by one person, it was more ideally designed with two players in mind, each one controlling one of the kids per each level. You had to cooperate with each other in order to overcome the obstacles and traps in order to get to the next level.
    Last edited by JDP; 23-Feb-2021 at 06:31 AM. Reason: ;

Ireland
    Those painted covers for movies and Atari games were fantastic works of art. They really are a lost item in entertainment media. Everything today looks bland and "produced".

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    It was OK, but the 1985 Commodore 64 video game by Datasoft was actually better than the movie (one of the rare instances of this):

The gameplay was pretty innovative at the time. Even though it can be played by one person, it was more ideally designed with two players in mind, each one controlling one of the kids per each level. You had to cooperate with each other in order to overcome the obstacles and traps in order to get to the next level.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKh5b8jcwLk
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Those painted covers for movies and Atari games were fantastic works of art. They really are a lost item in entertainment media. Everything today looks bland and "produced".
    Although, with companies like Arrow Video or Shout Factory, the art of cover art is back with fresh stuff produced for old films.

But, yeah, it's a big shame that movie posters are so often just Photoshop rush-jobs featuring just a load of actors faces and no real 'sense' of the movie. It's just "these people are in it!" and that's it. Painted artwork not only told you who was in it, but they gave you a feel for the type of movie it was, gave you some glimpses at what to expect - you could get lost in them ... these bullshit Photoshop posters are just crap that's only aiming for blink-of-an-eye perception.