Thread: What technologies of the real space industry seem fantastic to you?

Fresh Meat

Aaland

What technologies of the real space industry seem fantastic to you?

I'm a fan of real space exploration, travel and everything related to it. I follow the news from the space industry, but a lot of it still feels like science fiction to me. What technologies of the real space industry seem fantastic to you? 3d printed rocket engines? Space tugs? Foam Debris Catcher? Microsatellites?

Administrator

England
    Join the club. Before I shuffle off this planet I'd like to:-
    a) See man on Mars
    b) At least see life discovered elsewhere in the solar system, but ideally beyond.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Aaland

Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Join the club. Before I shuffle off this planet I'd like to:-
    a) See man on Mars
    b) At least see life discovered elsewhere in the solar system, but ideally beyond.
    Recently, one ufologist was officially responded to his request for UFO research. The document contained 154 pages, and the UFO was mentioned only once. In the question of the ufologist.
    On the other hand, Mr Eshed said that the United States and Israel have been cooperating with another species for about 30 years. Although it looked like an aggressive advertisement for his book.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan13 View Post
    Recently, one ufologist was officially responded to his request for UFO research. The document contained 154 pages, and the UFO was mentioned only once. In the question of the ufologist.
    On the other hand, Mr Eshed said that the United States and Israel have been cooperating with another species for about 30 years. Although it looked like an aggressive advertisement for his book.
    Hmmm...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    "Former Israeli space security chief says extraterrestrials exist, and Trump knows about it"
    Often articles about this interview are titled like this.
    Here is a link to one of them:
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/weird-n...knows-n1250333

The only thing that makes the article significant is that he is a real scientist. And he was the Head of the Office of the Space Program in the Office of Research, Weapons Development and Technological Infrastructure of the Ministry of Defense, which is in charge of Israel's space security program.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Pretty much anything SpaceX is doing. The first time I saw their boosters touching down after launch, I felt like I saw a real turning point for our species. Now they’re close to accomplishing it with the Starship, which is twice the power of the Saturn V. Really impressive stuff.

Of course there are other agencies with impressive accomplishments, such as the recent live footage landing on Mars with JPL and NASA, but Musk’s mission of making us an interplanetary species and the leaps they’re taking are fantastic for this space travel enthusiast!
    Last edited by bassman; 07-Mar-2021 at 01:10 AM. Reason: .

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    The launches of small and micro-rockets seem incredible and fantastic to me. A large rocket raises no questions as to how it reached the desired speed and altitude. Because the large volume allows you to carry a lot of fuel and big engines. And the small rockets, as described, for example, on the SkyHy website, amaze me with the size-to-height ratio they can achieve.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Space exploration or exploration from space?
    What do you think is more important to us?
    2021 is the most prolific year for events in the space industry. There are several launches every week. Some of them are test ones, while others are carrying useful equipment into space.
    Here's my question: is it more important for humanity at this stage of development to explore space or to explore the Earth with the help of the space industry?

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethan13 View Post
    Here's my question: is it more important for humanity at this stage of development to explore space or to explore the Earth with the help of the space industry?
    The two are really the same. Most of what we learn from space travel has the potential to help us understand more of what’s happening on our planet. NASA is of course known for their space missions, but monitoring, exploration, and the study of the Earth’s processes are an equally important part of the agency’s existence.

A large rocket raises no questions as to how it reached the desired speed and altitude. Because the large volume allows you to carry a lot of fuel and big engines.
    Apologies if your post wasn’t replying to my previous post about the starship, but I wasn’t referring to it’s size or thrust being the accomplishment. Although being twice the power of Von Braun’s Saturn V is indeed impressive, the real achievement I was referring to is the fact that they’re going to be reusable like the Falcon Boosters. The world’s largest rocket, designed to carry incredibly heavy payloads, yet we can bring it back, slow it down, rotate it, and (soon) make a gentle upright landing.
    Last edited by bassman; 13-Mar-2021 at 09:43 AM. Reason: .

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    Although being twice the power of Von Braun’s Saturn V is indeed impressive, the real achievement I was referring to is the fact that they’re going to be reusable like the Falcon Boosters. The world’s largest rocket, designed to carry incredibly heavy payloads, yet we can bring it back, slow it down, rotate it, and (soon) make a gentle upright landing.
    The implications of this are massive. The thrust Space X's craft is theoretically capable of would make missions to Mars viable, doable, and probably a reality in our lifetime. I still think that Titan is a better ultimate goal for humans. Mars has a number of issues, the biggest of them being the lack of a magnetic field that exposes the surface directly to the solar wind. Not good. Titan has none of Mars' issues and several advantages.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I agree that Titan would be a good candidate, but I believe the ultimate idea is to use neighboring bodies as stepping stones. NASA is moving forward with the Artemis missions to the moon and it’s space station, while Spacex is prepping for massive payloads and Mars. From there the theory is we set up base, engineer and harvest fuel sources, then look to moving further.

Unfortunately, I fear the recent footage of the drone landing on Mars is about as far as we’ll get with that particular planet in our lifetimes. I hope I’m wrong and we’ll be going as soon as Elon Musk believes we are, but it still feels to me that at best....I’ll be seeing the beginning stages of those manned launches near the end of my life. I really hope I’m wrong and it’s a faster process, though.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    How much physical therapy is required for a person returning from Mars? What with the lower gravity and all that.

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    How much physical therapy is required for a person returning from Mars? What with the lower gravity and all that.
    I’m not sure of the details, but it certainly wouldn’t be easy. Whenever we do send a manned craft to Mars, I would imagine it would be a one way trip at first.