Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWD 10x18 "Find Me" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 10x18 "Find Me" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 10x18 "Find Me" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: David Boyd
    Written by: Nicole Mirante-Matthews

United States
    Puppy Dog is simply the best.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    A low key episode, but enjoyable nonetheless - and Daryl finally got his end away!

I liked getting to see a bit more of what Daryl had been up to during those intervening years out in the woods, and evidently this woman may still be out there somewhere ... so her and Connie (kinda) ... Daryl's starting to get around.

Ireland
    Thought that was a waste of time myself.

On another note, what's up with those Angela Kang chats after the episode explaining what the episode was about? We just watched the episode Angie, WTF?
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Thought that was a waste of time myself.

On another note, what's up with those Angela Kang chats after the episode explaining what the episode was about? We just watched the episode Angie, WTF?
    Don’t really think it was a waste. We finally got to see Daryl in a different light. Much needed.

Like MZ said, kinda low key and I really liked that. It worked here.

The pacing was kinda clunky at times though.

Maybe Leah will be at the Commonwealth? Or Connie?
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    There were certainly a couple of pacing issues - e.g. the pre-titles sequence ended on kind of a 'nothing' moment (i.e. no real sting or set-up, just the two of them riding off on the motorbike), and similarly the episode just kinda stopped - I was caught by surprise when the credits rolled as I thought there was a bit more to go.

As for the 'explaining bit' ... I presume you mean some sort of 'Inside The Walking Dead' featurette? They have those online, but I'm not aware of them being broadcast on telly. The ones of those that I have seen are fairly redundant as they just tell you what you've just seen, the little Making Of featurettes are much more interesting (generally ... unless they're telling us for the zillionth time that they're using a short rubber version of the weapon with tracking spots on so that the computer can fill in the blank ... sheesh, enough, I know how the gag is done, alright?)

But yeah, it was nice to see Daryl in a different light, and to get a glimpse into those intervening years, and for there to be some issues for him and Carol to work on - some animosity between the two of them etc.

Obviously this one showed more of the limits of filming under Covid restrictions (i.e. just a shot of Leah holding out her hand, rather than anything visual - not even a kiss - because the Covid rules didn't allow for it ... I'd presume we won't have that issue when it comes time for the Here's Negan episode as JDM's on-screen wife will be played by his real-life wife).

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Obviously this one showed more of the limits of filming under Covid restrictions (i.e. just a shot of Leah holding out her hand, rather than anything visual - not even a kiss - because the Covid rules didn't allow for it ... I'd presume we won't have that issue when it comes time for the Here's Negan episode as JDM's on-screen wife will be played by his real-life wife).
    When were these "extra/bonus" episodes shot? Was it about the same time as the proper season 10 finale or a bit later? According to some of the comments in Talking Dead, it seems like they were not shot during the summer, which is the usual shooting schedule for the show.
    Last edited by JDP; 09-Mar-2021 at 05:58 PM. Reason: ;

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    When were these "extra/bonus" episodes shot? Was it about the same time as the proper season 10 finale or a bit later? According to some of the comments in Talking Dead, it seems like they were not shot during the summer, which is the usual shooting schedule for the show.
    Yeah, they were shooting somewhere around October/November, IIRC, maybe even December. They're usually wrapping up a season's shooting in November (having begun in May). I seem to recall that they've also started shooting season 11 now, too (so, again, an earlier start than normal).

The season 10 finale proper (10x16) had been shot at the normal time (so that would have been November 2019) just before production wrapped on that season. The problem was that they didn't have the post-production finished, which caused the months-long delay until it finally aired in September 2020.

Rising

United States
    Yeah, they were shooting somewhere around October/November, IIRC, maybe even December. They're usually wrapping up a season's shooting in November (having begun in May). I seem to recall that they've also started shooting season 11 now, too (so, again, an earlier start than normal).

The season 10 finale proper (10x16) had been shot at the normal time (so that would have been November 2019) just before production wrapped on that season. The problem was that they didn't have the post-production finished, which caused the months-long delay until it finally aired in September 2020.
    But reports about these extra/bonus episodes as having already been shot had been published in early October 2020, so they must have been recorded earlier:

https://www.cbr.com/walking-dead-nor...-continuation/

Since the article says that they had been shot during the pandemic (which excludes 2019), and since in Sunday's Talking Dead it was said that they were not shot during the summer, then one pretty much must come to the conclusion that they must have been shot before the summer of 2020.
    Last edited by JDP; 10-Mar-2021 at 02:09 PM. Reason: ;

Super Moderator

UK
    But reports about these extra/bonus episodes as having already been shot had been published in early October 2020, so they must have been recorded earlier:

https://www.cbr.com/walking-dead-nor...-continuation/

Since the article says that they had been shot during the pandemic (which excludes 2019), and since in Sunday's Talking Dead it was said that they were not shot during the summer, then one pretty much must come to the conclusion that they must have been shot before the summer of 2020.
    Hmmm ... is my timeline all messed up?

They were definitely shot in 2020, that's for sure (I had it in my mind that it was Autumn 2020 when they shot those six episodes).

Hmmm...

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi...d-season-10-c/

This article seems to suggest they shot the six episodes in Autumn 2020:
    Like many shows last year, The Walking Dead was forced to reevaluate its filming methods due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. For showrunner Angela Kang, and the rest of the team behind the post-apocalyptic horror-drama, it quickly became clear that gathering its huge ensemble cast would be difficult with social distancing rules to adhere to on set, and assembling large groups of zombified extras was out of the question completely.

So they decided to hold off on shooting season 11, which is set to be an epic 24-episode effort, in the summertime and started working on six smaller-scale outings that would bridge the gap between season 10’s previously planned finale ‘A Certain Doom’ and the show’s final chapter in the autumn instead.
    Considering they wouldn't have quite know where they stood, and these six extra episodes were added in, they still had to be written etc (albeit with some cribbing of material from season 11 to help speed things up a smidge) - so I still recall hearing in the second half of last year that these episodes were going to be made.

It couldn't have been early spring 2020 (for filming these six eps) as they were still expecting to air 10x16 on schedule - then everything got shut down and went into limbo before they could even finish post on 10x16 (which aired in September). I seem to recall the announcement about these additional six being connected to the airing of the finale.

Rising

United States
    Hmmm ... is my timeline all messed up?

They were definitely shot in 2020, that's for sure (I had it in my mind that it was Autumn 2020 when they shot those six episodes).

Hmmm...

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi...d-season-10-c/

This article seems to suggest they shot the six episodes in Autumn 2020:

Considering they wouldn't have quite know where they stood, and these six extra episodes were added in, they still had to be written etc (albeit with some cribbing of material from season 11 to help speed things up a smidge) - so I still recall hearing in the second half of last year that these episodes were going to be made.

It couldn't have been early spring 2020 (for filming these six eps) as they were still expecting to air 10x16 on schedule - then everything got shut down and went into limbo before they could even finish post on 10x16 (which aired in September). I seem to recall the announcement about these additional six being connected to the airing of the finale.
    According to this other article from September 2020, they were already being shot then:

https://winteriscoming.net/2020/09/3...des-season-10/

But by early October of that same year they were already being reported as having been shot. They must have done a pretty fast job to get them done by October.

Super Moderator

UK
    According to this other article from September 2020, they were already being shot then:

https://winteriscoming.net/2020/09/3...des-season-10/

But by early October of that same year they were already being reported as having been shot. They must have done a pretty fast job to get them done by October.
    Yeah, it's kinda unclear exactly when they made these - but I wonder if there's an element we're possibly overlooking - distinct, Covid-compliant units shooting different locations and actors simultaneously. So they could have been shooting multiple episodes at the same time, rather than one after another like normal.

Plus the factor of some of these episodes being smaller scale and more intimate. This episode was a relatively small one in terms of locations and action, characters, and walkers, so they might not have even needed the standard 8 day shooting schedule.

United States
    It’s cool to know that the Daryl finding love storyline was already in the works considering Carol made a remark back in season 10 Episode 6 to Daryl.

“Can’t keep her dog forever.” Or something like that.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 11-Mar-2021 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Dog

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    It’s cool to know that the Daryl finding love storyline was already in the works considering Carol made a remark back in season 10 Episode 6 to Daryl.

“Can’t keep her dog forever.” Or something like that.
    Yeah, that was neat, and I liked how we saw this struggle for Daryl regarding where he belonged and what he deserved - to keep searching in vain, or experience something he's never had before, something good.

United States
    Yeah, that was neat, and I liked how we saw this struggle for Daryl regarding where he belonged and what he deserved - to keep searching in vain, or experience something he's never had before, something good.
    Yep, I agree.

Funny to think it took Daryl a couple years to finally open up to Leah and vice versa.