Thread: TWD 10x22 "Here's Negan" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 10x22 "Here's Negan" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 10x22 "Here's Negan" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Laura Belsey
    Written by: David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick

It's a different version of the one-shot comic, and a bit more emotionally focused, but it's easily been the best episode of these addtional six.

Rising

United States
    Pretty good episode. I was hoping that they would also clear up what exactly happened between Negan and Simon either before or during the early formation of The Saviors, as some kind of previous problem between the two was hinted at, but no luck.

The episode also has a couple of zombie movie "Easter Eggs": a quote taken from the radio announcements in Night of the Living Dead and a song from Return of the Living Dead.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Pretty good episode. I was hoping that they would also clear up what exactly happened between Negan and Simon either before or during the early formation of The Saviors, as some kind of previous problem between the two was hinted at, but no luck.

The episode also has a couple of zombie movie "Easter Eggs": a quote taken from the radio announcements in Night of the Living Dead and a song from Return of the Living Dead.
    1) Perhaps they'll include some of the other Savior-related stuff in season 11 to flesh out the odd bit of backstory.

I think with this one it was more about telling the emotional side of Negan Smith losing Lucille and beginning his journey as simply 'Negan', rather than an origin story for The Saviors. I would like to see some of how the Saviors came to create their rules etc brought to screen somehow, but some of that ground has already been gone over.

It'd be interesting to see the Simon stuff you mention, but at the same time it's kind of water under the bridge at this point. It'd have to be justified by something in the current storylines. The time to have done that bit of backstory would have been season 8, but they missed that boat.

2) Yeah, those were cool easter eggs - I dug those - and nice to see a little bit of the pre-apocalypse world again, and glimpsing those very early stages from a very normal domestic perspective.

"The Saviors" are also the team that Negan coached.

And it was funny to see Negan talking shit to teenagers while playing videogames online.

Administrator

England
    OK! Now that was a pretty damn good episode for me...

After loads of fairly myeh episodes, that was a doozy!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, these six were patchy. Having to tack them on as additional episodes really did show - as did the Covid restrictions in some episodes - too little content in some episodes. I'd say the first and last, and then that one with Aaron and Gabriel were the highlights. The others just didn't have enough material in them, even though I quite enjoyed the episode with Daryl and Leah. They just felt too 'small' for TWD episodes, if that makes sense.

Hopefully the scale will be back with season 11.

To be fair, it would be a big ask for Kang and the writers to suddenly have to grab pieces of season 11 subplot material - stuff that could work on small scale Covid-compliant episodes (a new thing to understand in itself) - and then cobble together six new episodes in rapid time. That'll be why these six episodes were patchy.