Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wellington Paranormal

Great Britain

Wellington Paranormal

I've just watched the first episode on sky comedy today not realising its from 2018 and made by the What we do in Shadows guys.

First episode was very much in the same vain as Shadows and was very funny in parts.

Also there's 3 series been made, how did I not know about this before now being a massive fan of them boggles my mind lol.

Super Moderator

UK
    I saw a trailer for this on YouTube and assumed it was a new show - then, like you, I was surprised to discover 3 series and a Christmas special already sat there on Sky!

Although I've not watched any of it yet. Is it as good as WWDITS?

Great Britain
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I saw a trailer for this on YouTube and assumed it was a new show - then, like you, I was surprised to discover 3 series and a Christmas special already sat there on Sky!

Although I've not watched any of it yet. Is it as good as WWDITS?
    Only watched the first one so its hard to say, but the comedy is very much like WWDITS so if you liked that I'm guessing you will get a chuckle out of this too.

I've only just realised that the two main cops in this, also played cops in the original WWDITS movie lol playing the same characters.
    Last edited by paranoid101; 07-Apr-2021 at 04:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Only watched the first one so its hard to say, but the comedy is very much like WWDITS so if you liked that I'm guessing you will get a chuckle out of this too.

I've only just realised that the two main cops in this, also played cops in the original WWDITS movie lol playing the same characters.
    I checked out the first episode. I'll give the second a watch. I'm not convinced yet.

WWDITS had the benefit of coming on the back of the movie that I was already a fan of, but the show itself was very strong and confident in its setup and humour. This one doesn't quite have that - at least yet - so I'm a bit on-the-fence about it. You can see the vibe is there, that lowkey Kiwi humourous dialogue and delivery, but as an opening episode it didn't hook me in like the first WWDITS did.

Let's see how episode two goes...

Administrator

England
    I'll wait upon your thoughts after 3-4 episodes then
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Watched episode two last night and it was definitely better than the first. It still feels like the various pieces are slowly coming together, like they're kinda finding it as they do it, especially the two main characters' dynamic together, but it has earned enough good will for me to check out episode three next. I'm kind of on an episode-to-episode feel with this one at the moment, I've not been won over yet but it's keeping me intrigued enough to continue for now at least.

We'll see how it evolves.

WWDITS nailed it from the very first episode - but then, to be fair, it did have the movie to build upon - whereas WP is needing some time to warm up.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 08-Apr-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Great Britain
    Ok I've watch the first season, its only 6 episode and yes I really quite enjoyed it, It can be a bit hit and miss at times but I have found myself laughing out loud quite a few times.

It helps being a WWDITS fan and liking that kind of humour, but so far I am going to watch all of the seasons.

Not as good as WWDITS but then again what is.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Ok I've watch the first season, its only 6 episode and yes I really quite enjoyed it, It can be a bit hit and miss at times but I have found myself laughing out loud quite a few times.

It helps being a WWDITS fan and liking that kind of humour, but so far I am going to watch all of the seasons.

Not as good as WWDITS but then again what is.
    Funnily enough, I bashed out the rest of season 1 last night as well.

Like you say - hit & miss (e.g. eps 1 and 6 didn't really grab me), but there are other moments that I really quite enjoyed. I like Makka the police sgt the most, probably, and then Officer Kyle Minogue ("all my fantasies take place in the nineties" really tickled me).

It's got some chuckles out of me so far, but no full blown laughs (but then again my mood's not exactly in great shape lately anyway) ... but arguably it's definitely not as good as WWDITS, which is just superb. I was reading that this is a spin-off (I think O'Leary and Minogue features in the movie somewhere). It's a gentler level of comedy compared to WWDITS, more low-key ... things like the public information posters in the cop shop: "Mates Don't Punch Mates" or "If You're Unconscious You're Drinking Too Much".

I'll keep on with it. The episodes are only about 25 minutes, so it's good to slip in somewhere between things or when you've not got time for something longer.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 09-Apr-2021 at 10:40 AM.

Administrator

England
    OK... Added to list
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I've got two more episodes in season 2 to go, and then season 3 (so eight episodes total left to watch).

Season 2 has definitely stepped everything up in a good way. It feels like they were figuring it out on a too-low budget with season one, but the budget boost and really nailing down the vibe of the show has helped season 2 really hit the spot with cracking little stories (e.g. a haunted Nissan, or the plant-based clones) and the added zest of the New Zealand vibe and look.

I'm very glad I stuck it out through the bumpy first season.

Administrator

England
    If feels like "Police Squad!" does paranormal stuff...
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    If feels like "Police Squad!" does paranormal stuff...
    Surely, you can't be serious...
    Last edited by JDP; 12-Apr-2021 at 04:33 PM. Reason: ;

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Surely, you can't be serious...
    It's the same level of ironic make you tut humour.

And don't call me Shirley!
    -Carl Sagan

Great Britain
    Finished all the series and yep very enjoyable, needed some Kiwi humour tbh, Also the star of the show for me was Officer Mike Minogue, that man made me laugh out load many a time.

Solid 8/10 for me.

Super Moderator

UK
    I've got five episodes left to watch now (just got started on season 3).

The cast are all great, and yeah, Minogue has been my favourite. Not to put down O'Leary as that's a vital part and a good chunk of the reason that Minogue works so well is because he's teamed up with O'Leary, who serves a crutial purpose and gives as good as they get. And Sergeant Maaka is great too.

Season 1 was definitely a bit of a warm up, a patchy start, but from the get-go season 2 was bang-on and season 3 has picked up where that left off quality wise, so happy with that.