Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for more zombie films that are recent

Super Moderator

UK
    I didn't get the fuss about "The Dead". I watched it, but wasn't keen on it.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    Not super recent, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned "The Dead" and "The Dead 2: India".

I thought they were both pretty good, even though the second was a bit of a retread of the first. A little light on plot, but surprisingly well done Romero-esque zombies and beautifully filmed scenery, too.
    I haven't seen the second one yet, but the first one was indeed pretty good. The influence of "old school" (Romero, Fulci, etc.) zombie films is very evident. No exaggerated "super-zombies" that make dinosaur noises and can compete in a decathlon nonsense here. One of the better ones from the "recent" crop of zombie movies.

United States
    If you've somehow missed "Shaun of the Dead" and "Zombieland", they are definitely worth seeing. I recently picked up "Zombieland 2: Double Tap", but haven't watched it yet.

I didn't notice "Survival of the Dead" on your list. Definitely not that good, but.... it's Romero.

I've seen people recommend "Dead Set", which is a miniseries where a zombie outbreak happens on a reality show set. I started watching it, but couldn't get into it for some reason. I think it is on Youtube.

"Juan of the Dead" looks interesting and has decent reviews. I've had it on my HDD for years, but never got around to watching it.

From what I remember, except for some shitty CGI zombie tigers that they had to shoehorn in at the end, "Zombie Apocalypse" wasn't bad for Syfy channel garbage. Another gem with Ving Rhames.

"Resident Evil" was decent. The sequels went downhill as each new one came out. I had to shut the last one off about 5 minutes into it.

"Night of the Living Dead: Darkest Dawn" was kind of interesting. Basically NOTLD set in a NY apartment. CGI / animated, but had a lot of familiar voices in it like Bill Moseley, Tony Todd, Joe Pilato, and Danielle Harris.

"The Dead Don't Die" is a newer popular one. It has mixed reviews, and I haven't bothered to see it yet.

It's older and no flesh eaters or real gore in it, but "Shockwaves" needs an honorable mention. One of my all-time favorites.

Also older, "The Dead Next Door" is an odd one that doesn't get mentioned much.

Here is a whole list of zombie movies to explore. I used it as a refresher.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_zombie_films

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I recently picked up "Zombieland 2: Double Tap", but haven't watched it yet.

I didn't notice "Survival of the Dead" on your list. Definitely not that good, but.... it's Romero.

I've seen people recommend "Dead Set", which is a miniseries where a zombie outbreak happens on a reality show set. I started watching it, but couldn't get into it for some reason. I think it is on Youtube.

"The Dead Don't Die" is a newer popular one. It has mixed reviews, and I haven't bothered to see it yet.
    1) Zombieland 2 isn't as good as the first. It was never gonna be. But it's a solid flick all-round and quite good fun. As long as you go in expecting it to not be as good as the first, then that should be helpful to your viewing experience.

2) While it has some issues, I dig that film. I think it's got a lot to say about extremes of politics with two very opposed but similarly entrenched sides fighting while the ship sinks. I defended the flick in issue #8 of Exploitation Nation.

3) DeadSet is good. It's been a while since I've seen it (it came out circa 2007 or 2008 IIRC). It's from Charlie Brooker (Black Mirror), so that should give a clue as to the tone. It might take a little bit to get going, but then it takes off.

4) I just couldn't get along with The Dead Don't Die. There were bits of it I liked, but it just felt so meandering and awkward and clumsy. Admittedly I'm not a fan of the director's work, but it was a bit of a chore to get through, tbh.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Rewatched "The Dead" yesterday. It hasn't aged as well as I'd hoped, but I remember at the time of it's release I was really hyped for it staying true to real Romeroesque vision of the Apocalypse and zombies. It's got unique scenery and makes it work. The zombies are scary slow but vicious.

The script and acting isn't great. But you can do a lot worse in this genre and I would place it highly amongst more modern Zombie flicks.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I always recommend REC and REC 2. Do not bother with the 3rd and 4th films.
    There are no good "new" zombie flicks.
    Only recent ones I enjoyed was COOTIES and UNCLE PECKERHEAD (not quite a zombie film...more like a Demon)

United States
    I tried to watch either Quarantine or Rec (I forget which). I ended up shutting it off because it was so damn dark and the camera work was so jerky that I could barely tell what the hell was going on.

When movies have the shaky-cam shit going on, I normally won't even try to watch them.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Just remembered Pontypool. It's worth a watch.
    I liked it a lot.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Just remembered Pontypool. It's worth a watch.
    I liked it a lot.
    Definitely. Great central performance, too.

Just been bitten

Scotland
    There are some SYFY channel zombie movies that turned out to be watchable. Navy Seals v Zombies was surprisingly watchable. Then there is one with Lance Henriksen called Daylight's End which really was very good. Both are running zombies, I think Zack Snyder has seen this and stole and idea or two.

I also saw one called Dawning of the Dead... Again it was watchable and had a weird character death where one of the decent folk receives a very brutal death that would make you think this character was a villain that deserved a very horrible demise.

The Dead Next Door has some great ideas in it. Return of the Living Dead Part 3 was decent enough. I think the military test reanimation scene in was great.