Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twilight of the Dead (George A Romero)

Administrator

England

Twilight of the Dead (George A Romero)

Work in progress to get Romero's last zombie flick made? - https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...BTK2hsbtw0DXM4

Suzanne Romero is now ready for meetings to find the right director to complete George A. Romero's zombie saga.

"This is the film he wanted to make. And while someone else will carry the torch as the director, it is very much a George A. Romero film," says Suzanne Romero.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Lest someone goes into an extreme panic: this appears to be a different Romero project than the one about zombies driving cars.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Lest someone goes into an extreme panic: this appears to be a different Romero project than the one about zombies driving cars.
    That was what instantly came to mind before I started reading the article. If we're lucky, "Road of the Dead", or whatever it was supposed to be, will never see the light of day.

Hopefully, this turns out to be something decent without too much political, social, or "woke" bullshit crammed into it.

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I would certainly see this, but I’m not holding my breath. At this point it feels like they’re just chumming the waters, hoping for a bite.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    If they build it, I will come.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Being that this will be the conclusion to the series, do you think they will try to provide a better connection to the previous films? Kinda like when Blades from Dawn popped up in Land, for instance. I know it's probably asking a lot because of the Dawn/Day rights issues (unfortunately), but it would be ideal for the final chapter.

Another ideal thing would be to provide some sort of closure for the survivors of Dawn, Day, and Land. I know onscreen appearances are not likely (due to the huge gaps between each film), but any other method of closure would be nice.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by nycbsn View Post
    Being that this will be the conclusion to the series, do you think they will try to provide a better connection to the previous films? Kinda like when Blades from Dawn popped up in Land, for instance. I know it's probably asking a lot because of the Dawn/Day rights issues (unfortunately), but it would be ideal for the final chapter.

Another ideal thing would be to provide some sort of closure for the survivors of Dawn, Day, and Land. I know onscreen appearances are not likely (due to the huge gaps between each film), but any other method of closure would be nice.
    Can you imagine some cameos from Dawn and Day in it?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Aaland

I wouldn't be against cameos but establishing better connections between the films and providing character closure just sounds more exciting to me.

The whole copyright sh*tfest with Richard Rubenstein and Dawn/Day just sucks and hurts this aspect of the series.

It would be nice if they can find some way to remedy this for the series' closing film.

Administrator

England
    I wouldn't be against cameos but establishing better connections between the films and providing character closure just sounds more exciting to me.

The whole copyright sh*tfest with Richard Rubenstein and Dawn/Day just sucks and hurts this aspect of the series.

It would be nice if they can find some way to remedy this for the series' closing film.
    Yeh, you have to feel the worth of the franchise is now going to diminish with the loss of Romero, so why no do something constructive with it while there is still life/worth in it...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK

The problem with that, though, would be a lack of 'age continuity'. For example, the Dawn and Day cast members would be much too old for the amount of time that will have passed within the depicted zombie apocalypse. The furthest we got was 3 years, as referenced in Land, meanwhile decades have passed in real-time since Dawn and Day.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 10-May-2021 at 09:27 AM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The problem with that, though, would be a lack of 'age continuity'. For example, the Dawn and Day cast members would be much too old for the amount of time that will have passed within the depicted zombie apocalypse. The furthest we got was 3 years, as referenced in Land, meanwhile decades have passed in real-time since Dawn and Day.
    Agreed...
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The furthest we got was 3 years, as referenced in Land,
    That movie only clearly references a very vague "sometime later" in specific respect to the zombies. The 3 year references are about Cholo's "business" relationship with Kaufman and to some random anonymous wino not having driven a car. Nothing specific regarding the zombies themselves. For all we know, the zombies could have only been around for just some months, or conversely, for who knows how many years. Plus there is no clear time reference in Day either when it comes to the subject of how long have they been inhabiting that Florida bunker and how long ago did the zombies appear. The only two movies in the saga that are very clear about the time-line are the first two.
    Last edited by JDP; 10-May-2021 at 07:00 PM. Reason: ;

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    That movie only clearly references a very vague "sometime later" in specific respect to the zombies. The 3 year references are about Cholo's "business" relationship with Kaufman and to some random anonymous wino not having driven a car. Nothing specific regarding the zombies themselves. For all we know, the zombies could have only been around for just some months, or conversely, for who knows how many years. Plus there is no clear time reference in Day either when it comes to the subject of how long have they been inhabiting that Florida bunker and how long ago did the zombies appear. The only two movies in the saga that are very clear about the time-line are the first two.
    The film is really about that guy's failing dealership.

Ireland
    We're not doing this nonsense again are we?

https://youtu.be/mjOjY6zRliI?t=240

'Land of the Dead' takes place AFTER 'Day of the Dead' and is about humanity "coming back"... Even George Romero thinks so.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    We're not doing this nonsense again are we?

https://youtu.be/mjOjY6zRliI?t=240

'Land of the Dead' takes place AFTER 'Day of the Dead' and is about humanity "coming back"... Even George Romero thinks so.
    Watched Land of the Dead last night and was shocked to see that no, Land actually takes place 3 months into the ZA ... ... ... ... oh, wait, no it doesn't.

"Three years" is specifically referenced twice in the film - once by the garage owner, and once by Cholo (who has been working for Kaufman for three years). So, arguably, three years is the minium amount of time passed. It could be a little longer, but considering that you have two clear references to "three years", then that's what Romero's telling the audience quite clearly.

Also - good video pull - Romero had always talked about Land being the living 'coming back' from the brink as well as the evolution of the zombies' abilities and awareness (building upon what began in Day). Bub, from Day, would be a considerable regression from Big Daddy & Co ... and considering that Bub's story in Day isn't about a smart zombie becoming dumb, but a dumb zombie becoming smart, well, there you go - the narrative direction is clear as an azure sky...

https://youtu.be/OsrvURzZmDM?t=185
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 13-May-2021 at 04:56 PM.