Thread: Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony (retro video game) - Free

Administrator

England

Wolfenstein: Blade of Agony (retro video game) - Free

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Used to play the first two installments -which were not 3D first-person perspective games- on the Commodore 64.

Administrator

England
    ^ OMG! Waiting 2-3 minutes to open a safe? Wow! That was bad gameplay!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ^ OMG! Waiting 2-3 minutes to open a safe? Wow! That was bad gameplay!
    Think in context. The game was originally programmed on the Apple II in 1981 and then ported to other platforms. What better and more economic way of extending the gameplay with the limited memory you had at your disposal, so you can boast longer game time? Hehehe, those old programmers were some clever mofos. I find it amazing that they could do some of the things they did with such meager (by today's standards) memory resources. The Intellivision, Atari, Colecovision, etc. console games, for example, only had 4 to 8K!!!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Think in context. The game was originally programmed on the Apple II in 1981 and then ported to other platforms. What better and more economic way of extending the gameplay with the limited memory you had at your disposal, so you can boast longer game time? Hehehe, those old programmers were some clever mofos. I find it amazing that they could do some of the things they did with such meager (by today's standards) memory resources. The Intellivision, Atari, Colecovision, etc. console games, for example, only had 4 to 8K!!!
    1K chess on a ZX81 surely demonstrates what coding can achieve!

BTW! There is a 288 byte chess program! Fook me!
    -Carl Sagan

England
    I used to love "Return To Castle Wolfenstein" on the PS2, it's aged terribly now but in 2002 I spent months playing it. I remember seeing adverts for Wolfenstein 3D back when I was a kid but at the time I didn't have a computer to play it on. It's funny how your imagination used to have to fill in so much to make sense back then due to the technology limitations, compared to now where we really are spoiled with exquisite visuals. Kids today commenting "graphics are shit" on games have no idea how good they look compared to even 15 years ago never mind the early 90's!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein was great. The multiplayer even more so!