Thread: Stalker 2: Heart Of Chernobyl (video game)

Administrator

England

Stalker 2: Heart Of Chernobyl (video game)

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Don't need a trailer.

I'm in.

Super Moderator

UK
    There's another Chernobyl-related game coming out as well called "Chernobylite", IIRC - but STALKER 2 looks to be shitting all over that with confidence.

Whether I'll actually ever get around to playing it is another issue. I played the three games that came out in the late 2000s and really enjoyed them despite their technical flaws. "Get out of here, Stalker!" - "I said come in, don't just stand there!"

Hopefully Stalker 2 will be pretty slick and properly functional (IIRC Shadow of Chernobyl was quite the buggy mess upon initial release, and it wasn't until Call of Pripyat - the third game in the series - that they were able to release a pretty solid and reliable game Day 1).

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Both Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky feel like Beta-releases of games. They're a bit clunky, buggy and not all that smooth. Call of Pripyat felt great, tho, but it was also the most contained of the three games. Which may or may not have helped it!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Both Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky feel like Beta-releases of games. They're a bit clunky, buggy and not all that smooth. Call of Pripyat felt great, tho, but it was also the most contained of the three games. Which may or may not have helped it!
    Well said.

By CoP they had figured out a lot of their glitches and bugs and were still working with the same tech etc, so they'd generally locked it down - but it also felt the least interesting, TBH. Clear Sky had some more unusual looking settings, but Shadow of Chernobyl - despite its myriad glitches, bugs, and performance troubles - was what really captured my imagination. Finally reaching the CNPP and actually exploring it, seeing the elephant's foot, seeing the exploded core and so on, had me in awe. The atmosphere of SoC was probably the best of the three as well. I still remember the first big monster encounter going underground and this terrible roar sounds out from the end of a dark tunnel, illuminated only by spinning warning lights. The sense of dread was palpable in that game.