Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Summer season 2 out now on Netflix

Great Britain

Black Summer season 2 out now on Netflix

Think it started this week not watched it yet, but season 1 was alright.

England
    Thanks for the heads up.
    I really enjoyed s1
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

United States
    I binged season 2 over the weekend. I still don't like fast zombies but that gives this a distinct vibe. The one thing really unique about this series is the dwindling cast! I like it because of the sense that anyone can go at any time but I also hate it because no one enjoys seeing a character they like die.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Season 1 was good because it isolated the characters, sped up their decisions, and basically tested out who really wanted to live.

Season 2 - has embraced every shitty zombie cliche there is. I absolutely HATE the "humans are the real enemy" nonsense. Been there, done that. The whole betrayal shtick has, surprise! done before and is now something that makes me wanna chunder.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    Season 1 was good because it isolated the characters, sped up their decisions, and basically tested out who really wanted to live.

Season 2 - has embraced every shitty zombie cliche there is. I absolutely HATE the "humans are the real enemy" nonsense. Been there, done that. The whole betrayal shtick has, surprise! done before and is now something that makes me wanna chunder.
    When I heard, "humans are the real enemy," in the trailer, I must admit I flinched a bit with how well trodden that path is.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Best zombie content to ever grace tv or film. It blows away anything the TWD ever did that’s for sure. Not a fan of speed zombies but they make it work in this one. The tension and anxiety never ever lets up in season 1 or 2. So we’ll done

Great Britain
    I'm 2 episodes in and it's really good, love the fractured timeline and lack of dialog, best zombie thing I've watched for awhile.

Being Attacked

United States
    Black Summer season 2 was a bit better than season 1. I wasn't a fan of Lance, so I was happy they killed him off; it is also consistent with his character. He is not bright, he knows how to run from zombies but he does not know how to respond to human threats so human threats can easily outwit him which is a shame in the world that they're in. I am also assuming that it has only been one or two days since the last episode of the first season to the exact moment when Lance was shot and killed.

The lack of dialogue makes it tense. A lot of one takes (or at least one take attempts that have been pretty well edited together) that keeps the intensity without losing it.

The character development with Justin Chu Cary's character was the best part of that entire season. The writing and his acting was impeccable. I hope his career goes place and no, not the MCU.

I am happy that Sun made it in the end. I wonder what will happen with her and if she's going to be getting the Lance treatment. Speaking of the Lance treatment, I am not sure what they will do with Rose. She is badly injured, if the show is consistent with how it handles the brutality that is, injuries will lead to death (like Spears/Little James) if not treated properly, in this case, not likely at all, then I am sure Rose is probably going to get the Lance treatment and the show will just focus on Anna.

Naz? I don't know lmao I don't think anyone can predict what the hell is going to happen to Naz.

All in all, this show is really tense but the writing is spotty. I only liked Justin Chu Cary's writing, everyone else's writing was really spotty. I did not like that Rose coddled Anna like she's Ernie from "What's eating Gilbert Grape". I did not understand why Sun wasn't just killed off because I did not understand why she was a prisoner. Were they going to breed her? Why were they so inclined on keeping her alive after the house interaction? If the main goal was to get to the air strip so they can fly off to what they think is a safe space with law and order. Then why even have her over encumber your hike up a MOUNTAIN? Also why did the other Army dudes betray Naz?

These are my main gripes with the show. I still think it's good because besides the writing, the subtle character traits, the acting, and the tension was executed almost flawlessly.
    Did I mention there were no cheap jump scares? I was expecting at least 2 cheap jump scares per few episodes but we barely got any.

Dead

United States
    Greetings ladies and gents...
    Been quite awhile since I was here.

I gotta say, I enjoyed Black Summer. Been a little while since I saw any zombie related non video game content I actually liked enough to continue watching. Black Summer feels very gritty and realistic in comparison to most other zombie stuff from the last 10 years. Probably a lot of other content I've just not seen so I can't say it's the best thing going. It kept my interest well though.
    I liked how it took place in what could've been anywhere, and the characters seemed very random. It wasn't focused on a character with some specialized role that made them valuable or an overdramatic backstory to make you artificially empathize more. They were mostly just normal people. Not elite soldiers, SWAT, or journalists and scientists. It also wasn't full of political themes like so many movies and shows are today.
    I miss the days when movies and TV weren't poisoned by activists trying to make political commentary out of everything.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    I enjoyed Black Summer.
    Right, this is next on my list now!

Quote Originally Posted by babomb View Post
    I miss the days when movies and TV weren't poisoned by activists trying to make political commentary out of everything.
    You nazi, fascist, transphobic, white supremacist, racist, sexist bigot!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Four episodes in and really enjoying it.

Only gripes are:-
    1) People really being so horrid to each other. eg: Everyone killing everyone. And when the group break into the back of a shop, kick the two unarmed people in it out into the street, only for them then to leave the shop 1 minute later.
    2) I find the time jumps interesting but a tad excessive at times.
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Well, all done!

I'd have to say once again, the level of people f***ing over other people grated on me a bit. And there were a few elements of people just risking themselves beyond believability. eg: The daughter wondering around the lodge alone...

And talk about an open ending

But overall, some generally very good stuff.
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Yeah the people weren’t very likable at all here. Ending was kinda flat but overall it had some good material. Really wish the mother and daughter were gone though honestly.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Yeah the people weren’t very likable at all here. Ending was kinda flat but overall it had some good material. Really wish the mother and daughter were gone though honestly.
    Yeh, I hadn't put my finger on that point. Indeed, hardly anyone had any redeeming features. I was rooting for Mance though in the last scene or so! His chase seen was epic!
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yeh, I hadn't put my finger on that point. Indeed, hardly anyone had any redeeming features. I was rooting for Mance though in the last scene or so! His chase seen was epic!
    If I had a favorite, it was definitely Mance.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."