Thread: Interesting article on US Women's Football/Soccer Team claiming (pay) discrimination

Administrator

England

Interesting article on US Women's Football/Soccer Team claiming (pay) discrimination

What with the Olympics at the moment, I found this interesting. So when Megan Rapinoe goes on one of her tirades, how fair/grounded is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLeAWuRbObQ
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    The US is the only place in the world where women's soccer has any popularity at all. Everywhere else in the world, soccer is the quintessential men's sport, as far as 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 % of the population's perception is concerned.

Also, the US is the only place in the world where it is known by a name other than "football". Weird.
    Last edited by JDP; 27-Jul-2021 at 01:15 PM. Reason: ;

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    The US is the only place in the world where women's soccer has any popularity at all. Everywhere else in the world, soccer is the quintessential men's sport, as far as 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 % of the population's perception is concerned.

Also, the US is the only place in the world where it is known by a name other than "football". Weird.
    Women's football does OK around the world at the moment I suspect. But undoubtably the US is ploughing plenty of money into it though...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yeah Women's football is getting more popular in some countries. Sometimes because people realize that their women's team are better than their men's team - relatively speaking.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Yeah Women's football is getting more popular in some countries. Sometimes because people realize that their women's team are better than their men's team - relatively speaking.
    I sort of enjoy women's football as it's a tad slower, which at times I quite like. BUT - https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/foo...-a3257266.html

I think we're going to see possibly a similar revelation about men vs women in physical sports, with the women's weigh lifting in a week or so - https://news.sky.com/story/laurel-hu...ntage-12359559

I'm hoping that he/she wins Gold, and smashes Olympic records to highlight what a (unhealthy) farce it is.
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I think we're going to see possibly a similar revelation about men vs women in physical sports, with the women's weigh lifting in a week or so - https://news.sky.com/story/laurel-hu...ntage-12359559

I'm hoping that he/she wins Gold, and smashes Olympic records to highlight what a (unhealthy) farce it is.
    It's a joke. I'm all for equal rights, but I've done enough powerlifting in my days to know the in's and out's of human biology. Men have different muscle fibers that women, and a much higher concentration of them in the upper body. We are different. Men are more explosive. It's a fact.

Rising

United States
    Gentlemen, don't let empirical facts stand in the way of "wokeness".

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Gentlemen, don't let empirical facts stand in the way of "wokeness".
    If/when Laurel Hubbard wins the Olympic gold, hopefully setting new 'womens' records in doing so, I can't wait to watch all the news reader and sports commentators desperately trying to keep up their faux positivity in the face of the utter destructive lunacy of it.
    -Carl Sagan