Thread: The Suicide Squad (film) - 2021

Administrator

England

The Suicide Squad (film) - 2021

Seems to be getting good reviews...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eD5d48t_Uo
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    This one is more like it! Enjoyed it so much I went back and saw it a second time as quick as I could. Loads of fun, highly recommended!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Yeah, I saw it. It's pretty good! Idris Elba and John Cena are great together. Their constant upstaging of one-another works!
    It's violent to an absurd degree. Pokes fun at some crazy elements of the superhero genre. I had overall a good time.

Harley Quinn and Rick Flag, the only two holdovers from the last film worth talking about, are marginalized to the point where they're no more than supporting characters. Admittedly, in what is something of an ensemble film. Anyway, it's for the best as Harley Quinn is just a poorly written character and Joel Kinnaman is... just not funny.

It's ok, it's not great. It could have been though, had they skipped some elements. Sometimes it gets too cartoony, and I'm not sure it adds anything to the film. Like the design of the final boss makes me think of a cartoon for kids and doesn't fit in at all.

Great Britain
    I loved it, but I must admit I'm a massive James Gunn fan and love his movies, so I can see why others might not be as enthusiastic as me, His style can be a little love or hate it, that said for me this was so much better than the first one.

I loved all the characters and actors that played them, especially John Cena's Peacemaker, Idris Elba's Blood sport (way better than Will Smiths Deadshot) And Sylvester Stallone's King Shark was just so lovable lol.

For me it's the Best DC movie since Superman 1078 and the Dark Knight movies.

Its. funny, bright, violent, absurd, colourful, gory and really good. 9/10

United States
    Loved every single moment of this movie! The characters were awesome, especially Peacemaker and Ratcatcher 2. Saw it twice and will def see it for a third time!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Loved every single moment of this movie! The characters were awesome, especially Peacemaker and Ratcatcher 2. Saw it twice and will def see it for a third time!
    Seeing it Monday...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Came across as sort of the child of Guardians of the Galaxy vs Dead Pool. Not as strong as those franchises IMHO, but still a very enjoyable film. Christ it was gory!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Bit of thread necromancy here as I've just finished up watching it on Blu-Ray.

LOVED IT!

Now, I really enjoyed the first Suicide Squad movie, but it had numerous flaws and there's no doubt about that. I'm not convinced that a Release The Ayer Cut scenario would really change it all that much, not like Snyder's version of Justice League being an entirely different movie that absolutely drowned Whedon's load of cobblers in an absolute river of liquid shit.

Anyway - this flick was really friggin' enjoyable and bolts out of the gate with real gusto, breaking as many 'rules' as it can for some cinematic troublemaking.

I was surprised that Captain Boomerang got killed off ... not to mention most of the cast! I was kinda bummed to see Rick Flag get taken out as I liked the character and he was kind of the 'straight man' of the group compared to everyone else being 'the jokester'.

This just goes to show that some properties just need to be R-Rated, as letting them off the leash lets it live up to the promise of the premise ... 'nuff alliteration fer ya?

Great selection of off-beat characters, all given some great material to work with, too. The script was punchy and funny and brisk, it took risks and had plenty of surprise moments and never really pandered or floundered at any point. This is an example of picking the right filmmaker and letting them do what they need to do. Now, you can pick outside of the box filmmakers and fuck it up too (*cough* The Eternals *cough*) ... you need someone who 'gets' the material and the audience and the general vibe ... you need someone who already has the right kind of sensibility for it, and James Gunn has it. Disney/Marvel made a fool of themselves for firing him and then crawling back to him with their tail between their legs after realising their fuck-up. Still, it was a very good thing in the end as otherwise this movie wouldn't have been made.

Agreed on Peacemaker, King Shark, and Ratcatcher 2 all being awesome scene stealers.

Did anyone else spot Lloyd Kaufman dancing in the brothel?