Thread: Black Widow (film)

Administrator

England

Black Widow (film)

Any of you folks seen it yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybji16u608U
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Nope, not yet.

I'll see it when (or if?) it comes to something other than Disney+ (I don't have that streaming service - too many services, frankly).

The word I've heard is that it's a bit "meh".

The MCU has been so ubiquitous in the last 13 years of the cinema landscape that I'm feeling fairly burned out on it, and I've got little anticipation for the next phase (save for the likes of Ant-Man 3 and Spider-Man 3).

Great Britain
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Nope, not yet.

I'll see it when (or if?) it comes to something other than Disney+ (I don't have that streaming service - too many services, frankly).

The word I've heard is that it's a bit "meh".

The MCU has been so ubiquitous in the last 13 years of the cinema landscape that I'm feeling fairly burned out on it, and I've got little anticipation for the next phase (save for the likes of Ant-Man 3 and Spider-Man 3).
    Its slightly above meh, its an ok, 6or7/10 not Thor the dark world bad, you will get some fun out of it, the family stuff is the most enjoyable, also Florence Pugh is very good and will make a good Replacement Black Widow in Future films.
    Last edited by paranoid101; 19-Jul-2021 at 08:34 PM. Reason: rating

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I’ve yet to see the movie, but apparently Johansson isn’t happy about the simultaneous streaming release, as she’s filed a big lawsuit against Disney. One could easily say “how much more money does she need?!?”, but if a large portion of her pay was based on back-end ticket sales, Disney essentially stole her money with the premium streaming fees, which weren’t factored into her contract. Shortly after release, Disney was bragging about the revenue they received from Disney Plus views of Black Widow. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 million, iirc. They might regret bragging about that…

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I’ve yet to see the movie, but apparently Johansson isn’t happy about the simultaneous streaming release, as she’s filed a big lawsuit against Disney. One could easily say “how much more money does she need?!?”, but if a large portion of her pay was based on back-end ticket sales, Disney essentially stole her money with the premium streaming fees, which weren’t factored into her contract. Shortly after release, Disney was bragging about the revenue they received from Disney Plus views of Black Widow. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 million, iirc. They might regret bragging about that…
    It's a good point!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    It was like the thing between Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema over LOTR money. NLC dared to basically say 'he made shit loads out of it, why does he need more' - to which Jackson and any reasonable person would say: 'because you contractually OWE them more'. Honour the contract, mofos!

And that Black Widow contract will have been drawn up long before Covid was on anyone's radar. The movie was done and ready to be released, so it couldn't have been forseen.

Plus, Hollywood accounting is fucked up. Everyone's suing everyone over profit share. The lawyers in Hollywood are raking it in. How about they just honour the contract, pay the lawyers fuck all and that money instead goes into the respective pockets of those who are owed.

It's like the recent Darabont/AMC lawsuit. $200m payout from AMC due to dodgy business regarding profit sharing.

Pay what you owe, Hollywood. Pay what you fucking owe. Without the creatives you've got fuck all else than a bunch of talent-free suits.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 01-Aug-2021 at 10:51 AM.

Administrator

England
    Interesting chat about her legal action against Disney.

-Carl Sagan