Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Romero's Apocalyptic Prophecy

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    In Night and Dawn the main target of criticism is not in fact the government, but the average Joe and his reluctance to comply with sane, logical measures. The authorities in those two movies are in fact portrayed as the ones having the better grasp of the situation, who are trying their best to stop the zombies from further spreading. It's the citizens who don't comply that keep making matters worse.
    I didn't say government was the main target.

Also "Lack of communication between two completely opposed sides" and "and of ineffective government in whatever form" are intended as two distinct parts of the same sentence. The former includes said civilians - or anyone really. The main thing is two completely opposed sides butting heads while the problem remains unfixed and getting worse.

I'm not sure if the authorities in Dawn really have a great grasp of what's going on. Certain basic things, sure (e.g. don't keep zombies in your basements, they need to be turned over to disposal to stop the spread of infection), but the whole thing is chaotic and coming apart fast. Even the scientists representing government policy are often shown to be putting out conflicting ideas or even downright idiotic ones for whatever purpose (e.g. feeding the "opposition"). Government grasp over their own people (e.g. police) has weakened considerably with folks in uniform splitting the scene to save their own skin (e.g. the ragtag group of cops in Dawn).

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I didn't say government was the main target.

Also "Lack of communication between two completely opposed sides" and "and of ineffective government in whatever form" are intended as two distinct parts of the same sentence. The former includes said civilians - or anyone really. The main thing is two completely opposed sides butting heads while the problem remains unfixed and getting worse.

I'm not sure if the authorities in Dawn really have a great grasp of what's going on. Certain basic things, sure (e.g. don't keep zombies in your basements, they need to be turned over to disposal to stop the spread of infection), but the whole thing is chaotic and coming apart fast. Even the scientists representing government policy are often shown to be putting out conflicting ideas or even downright idiotic ones for whatever purpose (e.g. feeding the "opposition"). Government grasp over their own people (e.g. police) has weakened considerably with folks in uniform splitting the scene to save their own skin (e.g. the ragtag group of cops in Dawn).
    We only start hearing of such strange proposed solutions later on in the movie, when the situation has gotten way worse, and what remains of the government is considering desperate measures to deal with the ever increasing masses of zombies. At the start of the movie, though, the voice of reason is the government. Had the majority of the citizenry complied with the government's mandates instead of giving them more trouble to carry out those plans, the spread of the zombies would have either been stopped or slowed down.

Administrator

England
    I think for the sake of this thread... I'll remove all the covid and political stuff

Apologies if anything was caught in the cleanup that didn't deserve to be.

ps: There is the covid thread to discuss it in there - https://forum.homepageofthedead.com/...=24281&page=99
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

United States
    It reminds me of Stephen King's "The Stand"