Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Romero's Apocalyptic Prophecy

Fresh Meat

United States

Romero's Apocalyptic Prophecy

Hello HPoTD! I prepared for Living Dead Weekend '21 with a marathon re-watching of both of Romero's dead trilogies. But I felt they hit a bit different than normal. Specifically Romero's portrayal of the zombie apocalypse. Sure he was ahead of his time on this story idea but I always had to hand waive it. Romero's ghouls are slow, weak, mostly stupid, and arguably containable. Romero addressed this too with built in his themes throughout the series, lack of communication, lack of trust, fear, greed, politics, etc... all play into the societal collapse shown in the series.

But the past few years made the flicks hit different. Civil unrest, hyper-polarization of our politics, mass media, fake news, general distrust, not to mention the whole global health crisis all have pretty eerie parallels in the Dead Series. Now I'm pretty confident if a Romero style zombie phenomena hit us, it wouldn't be a cake walk. We'd probably mess it up on every level.

Administrator

England
    I've not watch the trilogy in a while. About time I did
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Yeah, we all dead.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, before this Covid bullshit I thought that if a Romero ZA ever happened we'd have it sorted. Now though? Looking at the beyond stupid crap going on, governments incapable of doing the necessary things early enough, people harping on about "muh freedums" because they have to wear a mask during a pandemic of a respiratory disease (who'da thunk it?!) ... yeah ... the zombies'll win.

Fresh Meat

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Aye, before this Covid bullshit I thought that if a Romero ZA ever happened we'd have it sorted. Now though? Looking at the beyond stupid crap going on, governments incapable of doing the necessary things early enough, people harping on about "muh freedums" because they have to wear a mask during a pandemic of a respiratory disease (who'da thunk it?!) ... yeah ... the zombies'll win.

Right I think the months long collapse Romero portrays is pretty generous!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Geez, you guys sure had high hopes for humanity prior to 2020.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Geez, you guys sure had high hopes for humanity prior to 2020.
    High hopes? ... Basic competence more like.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by deadhead412 View Post
    A good point to bring up actually, this goes a few ways. We've got the political debate end through Dr. Foster and Berman later carried on by Rausch. Then there's option 3 which our "heroes" in Dawn take. But while we see Philly is in pretty bad shape, I do wonder if Roger and Stephen might have lived longer if they never deserted the city. Maybe Fran's Canada option was best.
    I think "the islands" would have been the best bet surely?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I think "the islands" would have been the best bet surely?
    Just as long as you have enough cigarettes. But I'm not sure those guys found many good island options on the Schuylkill River.

Super Moderator

UK
    But you've also got people who refuse to abide by sensible guidelines in Dawn, for example - like don't keep flesh eating disease spreading zombies in the basements of your buildings because it spreads the virus! But no - ignore that very sensible rule - even though the cleaning out of the tenement was heavy handed to say the least (but was it heavy handed because of the blind refusal of the residents to a degree? But why were they so against the authorities? Because they're poor and non-white and have likely had few good encounters with police or government authorities? You keep going down the rabbit hole of chicken/egg reasoning on things like that).

Our quartet of characters in Dawn also act very selfishly, essentially. They abandon their duties, they steal a helicopter - people in positions of communication or authority who just abandon those who need them (e.g. Fran was the one trying to take down the list of inoperative rescue stations, Peter and Roger being SWAT guys trying to mop up dangerous hotbeds of infection etc).

It wouldn't be wrong for anyone to go to those rescue stations. What's wrong is the people in charge not updating their lists - therefore sending innocent and unaware people to their dooms. People going to those rescue stations for help is quite a sensible thing to do, and there's nothing weak or "sheeple-like" about it. The let down is the government with piss poor communication and a complete disregard for the safety of their citizens, people who need their governments to actually do what they're elected to do.

Fresh Meat

United States
    [
    But you've also got people who refuse to abide by sensible guidelines in Dawn, for example - like don't keep flesh eating disease spreading zombies in the basements of your buildings because it spreads the virus! But no - ignore that very sensible rule - even though the cleaning out of the tenement was heavy handed to say the least (but was it heavy handed because of the blind refusal of the residents to a degree? But why were they so against the authorities? Because they're poor and non-white and have likely had few good encounters with police or government authorities? You keep going down the rabbit hole of chicken/egg reasoning on things like that).

Our quartet of characters in Dawn also act very selfishly, essentially. They abandon their duties, they steal a helicopter - people in positions of communication or authority who just abandon those who need them (e.g. Fran was the one trying to take down the list of inoperative rescue stations, Peter and Roger being SWAT guys trying to mop up dangerous hotbeds of infection etc).

It wouldn't be wrong for anyone to go to those rescue stations. What's wrong is the people in charge not updating their lists - therefore sending innocent and unaware people to their dooms. People going to those rescue stations for help is quite a sensible thing to do, and there's nothing weak or "sheeple-like" about it. The let down is the government with piss poor communication and a complete disregard for the safety of their citizens, people who need their governments to actually do what they're elected to do.
    Agreed. Don't keep zombies in your apartment complex and don't start helpless shootouts in a world where everyone who dies comes back as the enemy. I think you hit the keyword though, communication or at least its breakdown is a prominent theme in the original trilogy. Nobody is working together, everyone is pulling in different directions. Berman refuses to even accept the notion of the dead coming back and Foster's more moderate common sense line to deal with the crisis is later replaced by a more extreme Dr. Rausch who can't help but condescend and alienate everyone.

Also you're right our four leads in Dawn are thieves and bad guys. They're contributing to the increasingly rapid breakdown of civilization.

In terms of mistrust between the authorities and the public i.e. attitudes of distrust of the police by minority communities I think Romero made that intentionally clear. Which is realistic, people who distrust the police or the government would still distrust them after the dead rose. It would play into the world. Berman does make a valid albeit hard to hear point in Dawn's opening. People can't just be expected to drop every religious, cultural, moral belief they have had for centuries overnight. Some would have trouble seeing their family and friends as a bloodthirsty monster, they might even hold misguided out hope for a cure.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    High hopes? ... Basic competence more like.
    And what is basic competence in this case?
    I'm sure there are at least two different sides to that story. And we have decades of research on how tribalistic we are.
    We are not rational beings and never have been. I knew that before this pandemic and this has only strengthened my beliefs.

Fresh Meat

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    And then there's also the loads of conspiracy theory weirdoes, who would deny the very existence of the zombies -even while they are encroaching on them and their friends and relatives too-, and offering all sorts of ridiculous "explanations": "There is no zombie virus, it's just a different strain of the common flu!", "It's just a bunch of Democrats wearing make-up and stirring up trouble in the streets so they can continue to steal the 2020 election!", "It's just another devious plot by Bill Gates to inject us with microchips!", etc.
    This would definitely happen and in Dawn it pretty much does happen only through the main form of media of its age. Givens' slimy attempt to cling to rating at the expensive of lives and for what? A few hours or days of soon to be meaningless money. Then broadcasting a belligerent show seemingly designed to conflict with Dr. Foster who TBH is one of the few sane characters in the movie. He's just plainly stating the implications of the threat and getting shouted down. It's the fake news of the 1970s.
    Last edited by deadhead412; 13-Aug-2021 at 12:28 AM. Reason: edit added

Super Moderator

UK
    Lack of communication between two completely opposed sides, and of ineffective government in whatever form (e.g. military, political, or even the ragtag group of soldiers in Day), has been a long-running theme of Romero's work.

As searingly relevant today as it ever was, unfortunately.

Rising

United States
    Lack of communication between two completely opposed sides, and of ineffective government in whatever form (e.g. military, political, or even the ragtag group of soldiers in Day), has been a long-running theme of Romero's work.

As searingly relevant today as it ever was, unfortunately.
    In Night and Dawn the main target of criticism is not in fact the government, but the average Joe and his reluctance to comply with sane, logical measures. The authorities in those two movies are in fact portrayed as the ones having the better grasp of the situation, who are trying their best to stop the zombies from further spreading. It's the citizens who don't comply that keep making matters worse.