Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night of the Animated Dead (animated remake)

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I do love the zombies in the Savini remake, though. Excellent make-up work, making the zombies look more 'realistic' for the freshly dead (e.g. the cemetery zombie - GREAT zombie sequence!) ...
    The skinny window zombie, being shot, is epic!

Barbara rocks in this. I loved the original, of course, but she didn't get a huge amount to do, whereas in this flick it's a bit more balanced between her and Ben. You can see the influence of Ellen Ripley on the character, and in a time long before Twitter and identity politics stinking up the joint, you can actually do something like Barbara in Night 1990 without making it all about that, you know? Or having everything grind to a halt so that the movie can tell the audience instead of show.
    Yeh, Patricia Tallman did a great job!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yeh, Patricia Tallman did a great job!
    And that version of Barbara fights through the horror and insanity of the situation, finds her composure and gets her head on straight, and recognises that the zombies are slow and not the most coordinated - you could literally walk through them (as long as there aren't too many) and get away. She sees all this chaos and hysteria and fighting around her despite a common enemy and by the end of it you're kind of thinking 'is she the only sane one left?'

Administrator

England
    And that version of Barbara fights through the horror and insanity of the situation, finds her composure and gets her head on straight, and recognises that the zombies are slow and not the most coordinated - you could literally walk through them (as long as there aren't too many) and get away. She sees all this chaos and hysteria and fighting around her despite a common enemy and by the end of it you're kind of thinking 'is she the only sane one left?'
    Yep... It's a damn solid movie in a lot of ways...

- - - Updated - - -

And I like a lot of the music... Paul McCollough who wrote the screenplay to The Crazies

^ The synth electric guitar is a bit painful mind!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    As for Night 1990 ... if I could change one thing about it, it wouldn't be the gore first up - it'd be Judy Rose. The way the character is written and performed, toppling wildly from absolute hysteria and stupidity to awkwardly gung-ho is something I find so irritating. Sure, Tom Towles chews up the set a bit, but Judy Rose ... ... geez.
    Dear God, that bitch's screaming was awful. That's the only MAJOR complaint I have with NOTLD 90. Tom Towles was over the top a little, but that didn't bother me much.

I agree on the soundtrack. There's something very off about that score, it just doesn't fit, it feels kinda 'too light' or even a bit sci-fi channel at times, and hasn't aged well. The only track I actually really like is the end credits theme, but most other tracks, especially that opening track, kinda feels like an episode of Law & Order or some such thing. The library tracks chosen for Night really amplify the sense of doom about the whole situation and ramp up the horror.
    Considering the eras they came from, I think the soundtracks fit both movies. Even though I saw NOTLD 90 first and at a young age, I still like NOTLD 68's soundtrack better, though.

Barbara rocks in this. I loved the original, of course, but she didn't get a huge amount to do, whereas in this flick it's a bit more balanced between her and Ben.
    That's the only other minor gripe I have. She rocked a little too much. She went from the cliched not being able to run through the woods without falling down to a badass in just a few hours. But, at least she wasn't a potato like Barb in NOTLD 68.

Rising

United States
    Am I the only one around here who saw the remake at the movie theater when it premiered? I won tickets to go see it courtesy of these guys, Texas most popular hard rock & heavy metal radio station during the 80s & 90s:

original-rock-1986-radio-station_1_748d3e35a38cde9dd7dcc63e0980e212.jpg

The promo worked this way: you had to keep listening to their programming, and when you heard zombie moans in the background, you had to be the first caller in order to get the free tickets. I nailed one of those and got them. Since they gave away many tickets to go see it, the audience was packed with Z-ROCK's listeners, as well as the station's staff, including the DJs. Some of these folks were actually creepier than the zombies in the movie.
    Last edited by JDP; 31-Mar-2022 at 03:26 PM. Reason: ;