Thread: TWD 11x04 "Rendition" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Super Moderator

UK

TWD 11x04 "Rendition" episode discussion... **SPOILERS**

Please keep all talk of episode 11x04 "Rendition" specifically inside this thread.

If you have a theory for a following episode, please use the "spoiler tags" (visit the HPOTD FAQ to find out how to use them if you don't already know).

Similarly, if you're going to discuss plot points from the comic book, please use "spoiler tags" - not everyone is up-to-date on them, and some people don't read them at all.

Enjoy!

Directed by: Frederick E.O. Toye
    Written by: Nicole Mirante-Matthews

A smaller episode this week, but one which gives us a good chunk of time to get to know these Reaper mofos much more and get a feel for them.

Next week it's looking like three different stories to cut back and forth between.

United States
    Really disliked this episode.

Been there, done that.

Can’t believe it’s the last season and we still doing bottle episodes.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Really disliked this episode.

Been there, done that.

Can’t believe it’s the last season and we still doing bottle episodes.
    But it's not like we didn't learn anything about The Reapers here. We learned quite a lot about them. We also saw the return of a character (albeit a recent addition) under new circumstances. Just because it was in one location, doesn't mean it was a 'nothing' type of episode. The one where Daryl and Beth roamed around a country club, drank, and burned down their own shelter in a drunken act ... that was much more a bottle episode IMO. That episode didn't really advance anything. This episode, though, we learned a fair bit about The Reapers.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    But it's not like we didn't learn anything about The Reapers here. We learned quite a lot about them. We also saw the return of a character (albeit a recent addition) under new circumstances. Just because it was in one location, doesn't mean it was a 'nothing' type of episode. The one where Daryl and Beth roamed around a country club, drank, and burned down their own shelter in a drunken act ... that was much more a bottle episode IMO. That episode didn't really advance anything. This episode, though, we learned a fair bit about The Reapers.
    Honestly, I was checked out. I just didn’t care. It shouldn’t take a self contained episode to learn about a new group. Especially during its final season.

To me, once we found out who was behind the masks this group lost all its scary appeal. Sucks cause I was invested. It was cool.

Now, hopefully, next week should pick things up again!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Highly trained mercenaries under a super religious leader who's keen on going full blown Old Testament from time to time seems pretty scary to me.

I also like it because we don't often see people who were highly trained before the ZA. The focus is so often on civilians, and it's not like military personnel would all just fold to the zombie invasion while Joe and Jane Bloggs can figure out how to Rambo this shit.

United States
    Well, when you put it that way

I guess I’m just not in the mood for episodes like this during a final season when there is so much more interesting things going on elsewhere.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Well, when you put it that way

I guess I’m just not in the mood for episodes like this during a final season when there is so much more interesting things going on elsewhere.
    Hopefully there won't be too much of that 'all one story' type episodes from here on. The pacing feels so much zippier when they have two or even three plot threads to cut between. You generally just get the meat of it without too much frilly stuff around the edges. I'm glad that the scale of season 11 is also up-to-par. The additional six tacked onto season 10 were smaller for obvious reasons, but as was proved, this is a show that needs to be big to tell its tale.

It might have been difficult to really introduce us to so much about The Reapers by cutting back and forth to them, you know, too 'bitty'? Sometimes you've just gotta dig in deep and rummage about before climbing back out again.

Administrator

England
    That episode felt a bit cliche and clunky to me...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    That episode felt a bit cliche and clunky to me...
    Cliche how?

Administrator

England
    Cliche how?
    Things we've seen over and over... Dangerous/bad leaders being dangerous and broody, with long broody monologues...

And as I've said before, with all these 'cult' groups I do wonder how they survive being so untrusting, and constantly at war and in trouble with other groups. You'd think they'd be out of members in a couple of months, or simply bugger off elsewhere where they can chill
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Things we've seen over and over... Dangerous/bad leaders being dangerous and broody, with long broody monologues...

And as I've said before, with all these 'cult' groups I do wonder how they survive being so untrusting, and constantly at war and in trouble with other groups. You'd think they'd be out of members in a couple of months, or simply bugger off elsewhere where they can chill
    Sadly, Neil, there's zero chill in the zombie apocalypse.

Well ... almost...

Last edited by MinionZombie; 12-Sep-2021 at 10:49 AM.

United States
    Sadly, Neil, there's zero chill in the zombie apocalypse.

Well ... almost...

Yes!

United States
    Hell, that mostly sums up the last ~8 seasons.