Thread: The Walking Dead and Robert Kirkman as a writer (Spoilers)

Being Attacked

United States

The Walking Dead and Robert Kirkman as a writer (Spoilers)

hello guys, it's been awhile since I made a post. I have a serious question about The Walking Dead as you guys (and girls) probably do too.
    Kirkman hasn't revealed and says he will never reveal what causes the Walkers.

In your opinion (or not perhaps you also write and understand the formal rules of writing a novel) do you think by nature of the show, it is not required to have to explain why the group exists in a post apocalyptic setting? Do you think it is okay to just glance over the main issue that the group faces? I am not a writer so I don't know what to think of it other than be annoyed by the fact that the show is literally just the essence of "Man is the true monster" over and over again.

To me I feel the show hasn't progressed anywhere. Perhaps that's the point of the show. All that humans do is exist, not solve problems. Which is why when they showed the flash forward to when Judith was an older girl, the world was still in shambles and they're still having to kill Walkers in the head. Not even the walkers progressive decay have rendered them useless yet (nor have they evolved but that doesn't matter).

Super Moderator

UK
    Receiving an explanation or not doesn't really change anything for the characters' current circumstances.

Besides, it kinda seemed from season one when they went to the CDC that they hadn't really been able to figure it out, and with the facilities going down there was then nobody to figure it out.

We never got a proper definitive explanation why the dead began to rise in Night of the Living Dead, beyond vague winks at possible things (e.g. the Venus Probe), and that's fine. Ultimately it's not hugely important.

I was watching "I Think We're Alone Now" the other night and that features a post-apocalypse world, but they never explain what the cause of the end of mankind was, and I never felt they needed to either. There was, however, a subplot in that movie that really did need much more exploration, but it ended up feeling like the vaguest sniff of a Twilight Zone episode before running away from it. The first 30 minutes were the best, then it dawdled for quite a while, then it only scratches the surface of a whole other story and scarpers quick before the credits.