Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Y: The Last Man (Disney+ series)

Administrator

England

Y: The Last Man (Disney+ series)

Generally enjoying it so far...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YI8wIJO7U30
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Not "too woke" for you, Neil?

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    There are a couple of lazy lines (inferences) in there... But generally it's managed to keep its head well out of that swamp.

MINOR SPOILER - So with anything with a Y chromosome dead, including mammals and the like, if that even includes insects, then surely it's game over as regard the food chain totally collapsing?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    He might just have woken up.

Super Moderator

UK
    I take it they haven't mentioned insects yet, or are they just kinda forgetting about that? Cos yeah, no boy bees and the like and you can kiss goodbye to pretty much everything in the long run.

I suppose that's sort of a problem with stories like these, they could be just too big a concept to fully grapple with (i.e. too many implications). Then again, so many apocalyptic shows and movies have traditionally ignored things like 'what happens to nuclear power plants?' for the most part. Too many realities getting in the way of the main story they want to tell (e.g. if it's just a movie there's only so much you can cover).

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    He might just have woken up.
    It'll be Homepage of the Living Impared from now on.

Rising

United States
    Then again, so many apocalyptic shows and movies have traditionally ignored things like 'what happens to nuclear power plants?' for the most part.
    "Guess the power is not off in this area. Could be nuclear."

Super Moderator

UK
    "Guess the power is not off in this area. Could be nuclear."
    Well, yeah, but that was referenced 3 weeks into it. What I'm meaning is - what happens beyond that. I liked how in FearTWD they did actually address it - they had groups of people touring around attempting to shut down reactors to prevent a fallout disaster, how there were radioactive walkers shuffling about, how certain areas were becoming contaminated from leaks after years of the ZA.

That's what I was getting it. It's not that common for that to come up ... ... mind you, I've just remembered another one: The Last Man On Earth! They ended up having to escape South to avoid nuclear meltdowns.

Maybe I'm talking out of my arse now that I think about it.

But then again there's so much apocalyptic stuff out there, so in terms of percentages I think my point still stands.

Rising

United States
    Well, yeah, but that was referenced 3 weeks into it.
    Yes, but later on in the movie it's obviously been months, even all the TV stations are off by now, and yet the power is still up and running just the same:

https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopener...erference.html

Cutting Romero a break: we don't know if the power plant feeding electricity to the area was still being manned even after months of the zombie disaster. Perhaps it was in a location where surviving altruistic workers could still have had access to it, and they kept things running for as long as possible in order to try to help out any survivors left in the areas being serviced by the plant.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yes, but later on in the movie it's obviously been months, even all the TV stations are off by now, and yet the power is still up and running just the same:

https://www.scienceabc.com/eyeopener...erference.html

Cutting Romero a break: we don't know if the power plant feeding electricity to the area was still being manned even after months of the zombie disaster. Perhaps it was in a location where surviving altruistic workers could still have had access to it, and they kept things running for as long as possible in order to try to help out any survivors left in the areas being serviced by the plant.
    Yeah, but none of that is actually being talked about in the film, it's purely assumption-based - that's what I'm getting at. For the most part these aspects of an apocalypse scenario are ignored or only glimpsed very fleetingly (i.e. Peter's line of dialogue). Other than that Dawn doesn't touch on it, but then nor should it as the focus is those four people in that mall.

There are all sorts of elements of an apocalypse scenario that don't really get talked about as so often the protagonists are a ragtag bunch of civilians, so obviously the story wouldn't lead towards that - or, indeed, the budget wouldn't allow for it anyway.

Administrator

England
    ...and cancelled.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    ...and cancelled.
    Fuck me. Already?!

Having a look on Wiki at the "Reception" bit and it sounds like a right fucking chore to watch.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Oct-2021 at 10:48 AM.

Administrator

England
    Fuck me. Already?!

Having a look on Wiki at the "Reception" bit and it sounds like a right fucking chore to watch.
    Certainly making me wonder why bother watching the rest of it now.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Certainly making me wonder why bother watching the rest of it now.
    Indeed, it's kinda curious that they don't wait to publicly decide its fate until after all the episodes have aired - surely the viewing figures will drop because, like you say, why bother?

- - - Updated - - -

Skimming through the Wiki page...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y:_The...Gender_effects

Was there much of that in the show/the episodes you've watched, Neil? Or is it more a case of 'a lot of talk to appear woke' and there's actually not much of it in the show (e.g. like how "Censor" was written up by Total Film et al as being so super MeToo relevant, when in fact there's very little of that stuff in the film - more PR talk than actual content in the product itself)?

Considering how some folks are actively rebelling against 'wokeism' in media - just look at how much the comics industry is floundering with their re-inventions etc - I wonder if the above sort of talk leading towards the show's release kinda put off some potential viewers...?
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Oct-2021 at 04:52 PM.

Administrator

England
    Indeed, it's kinda curious that they don't wait to publicly decide its fate until after all the episodes have aired - surely the viewing figures will drop because, like you say, why bother?

- - - Updated - - -

Skimming through the Wiki page...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y:_The...Gender_effects

Was there much of that in the show/the episodes you've watched, Neil? Or is it more a case of 'a lot of talk to appear woke' and there's actually not much of it in the show (e.g. like how "Censor" was written up by Total Film et al as being so super MeToo relevant, when in fact there's very little of that stuff in the film - more PR talk than actual content in the product itself)?

Considering how some folks are actively rebelling against 'wokeism' in media - just look at how much the comics industry is floundering with their re-inventions etc - I wonder if the above sort of talk leading towards the show's release kinda put off some potential viewers...?
    It had some nice ideas and moments, but I have to say the transgender agenda it is felt a bit shoe horned in...
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    It had some nice ideas and moments, but I have to say the transgender agenda it is felt a bit shoe horned in...
    Woke! (said a la Joey Lawrence's "whoa!")