Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resident Evil Welcome to Racoon City (film)

Great Britain

Resident Evil Welcome to Racoon City (film)

Now I'm a bit conflicted about this movie, I wasn't expecting anything good about it when it was announced, but this trailer isn't half bad lol

Gone from an no interest movie to a wait and see.

United States
    well that looks infinitely better than the garbage films they've put out up till this point.

as someone who was ob-fucking-sessed with the original trilogy of games on the playstation, i may actually end up going to the theaters and paying to sit through this. surely can't be any worse than either of paul anderson's first two films (which is where I gave up on the film franchise previously).

i had no idea this was even coming out or in development, so thanks for sharing!

EDIT: never have i been a fan of that corny song they used in the trailer, that would have been my only real complaint about what i saw.... i actually found a different trailer without the garbage music and a little different tone. i like this version much better.

Last edited by ProfessorChaos; 08-Oct-2021 at 03:42 AM. Reason: .

Super Moderator

UK
    I just stumbled across the trailer on YouTube a few minutes ago, came here and there's already a post about it.

Likewise - wasn't aware this was happening at all, but it does actually look like it could be decent (even if some of that CGI looks a bit iffy). I remember playing the Resi 2 demo quite a lot back in the day over at a friend's house, so some of those references in the trailer are sparking the nostalgia pretty hardcore.

I do hope that it's good. Anderson's movies just went so far off in their own direction and, well, they really weren't that good anyway and just got more and more confusing as they went along, just a load of flashy PG-13 action and stock characters who look and sound like each other.

I assume this is an R rated flick? Seems to be playing it much closer to the actual source material. So many videogame adaptations in the past have been like taking a book, tearing off the cover, and then adapting only that and none of the actual material inside.

Ireland
    The first RE movie is actually a bit of guilty pleasure of mine. Christ only knows why.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    The first RE movie is actually a bit of guilty pleasure of mine. Christ only knows why.
    More innocent time? Before it got so carried away with super convoluted stories and slapdash editing of hyper stylised action sequences?

There's no doubt cool parts of the franchise, but fuck me, it's simultaneously overcooked and underdone.

I'm hoping this new flick will be good, and not some shonky bit of dreck that does fan service but can't cobble together a compelling set of characters and story. If you don't care what's happening, you're not gonna care about anything - so I really hope they got the story and characterisation sorted.

Great Britain
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Your not the only one, I really like the First one, the second is ok for the scenes of the cops and Umbrella forces fighting the zombies in the streets of Racoon city, but its pretty much downhill from there.

United States
    I know I'm in the minority here (and probably everywhere in the world) but I enjoyed the final three movies from Resident Evil. I didn't care for the first three since they had next to nothing to do with the games, but the final three were fun action/zombie movies. (Not good Resident Evil movies!)

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Your not the only one, I really like the First one, the second is ok for the scenes of the cops and Umbrella forces fighting the zombies in the streets of Racoon city, but its pretty much downhill from there.
    Pretty much the same here. I actually liked the first, and the second almost as much. The third was meh. Forth sucked. I made it about five minutes into the next one before turning it off. I have the most recent, but haven't attempted to watch it.

I also didn't know they were thinking about making another. Typical Hollywood. Never miss an opportunity to milk a few more bucks out of a completely worn out franchise. Maybe it will be a pleasant surprise and not be shit, though.

Super Moderator

UK
    #1 was okay at the time, #2 was a bit better in certain regards as it felt closer to the games, but beyond that it's all a total blur and total confusion for me. I don't know which one is which, just a few moments that were good (e.g. that one that featured a lot of desert locations, and had that very Day of the Dead inspired moment of a fenced compound surrounded by zombies).

However, the series was just so convoluted beyond #2 that it was impossible to keep track, with too many carboard cutout characters. It's like the Saw franchise - after #3 it was pretty shit.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    However, the series was just so convoluted beyond #2 that it was impossible to keep track, with too many carboard cutout characters.
    I never played the games, but this pretty much sums it up. They just got worse as they went.

From what I saw before I shut it off, #5 was just weird costumes, constant motion and effects, and no plot line that I find. Maybe I could try watching it again, but frankly I have a LOT of better movies that I haven't seen that I could be watching instead.

Rising

United States
    Which one was the one that has a character who looks inspired by unshaven Rick Grimes? I saw it years ago, but I can't remember which one was it. After the first one, I keep confusing all these movies.

United States
    Looks like the new film got the “classic first zombie you run into cutscene” into the movie. Finally lol.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    I think we all need a little help remembering which movies were which, or what order they came in, or just any of them at all...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reside..._series)#Films

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Looks like the new film got the “classic first zombie you run into cutscene” into the movie. Finally lol.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr4gOSGbVQI
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 09-Oct-2021 at 10:22 AM.

United States
    I just watched the trailers. The first one is crap, but aside from the typical shitty CGI, the second one looks mildly promising.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    More innocent time? Before it got so carried away with super convoluted stories and slapdash editing of hyper stylised action sequences?

There's no doubt cool parts of the franchise, but fuck me, it's simultaneously overcooked and underdone.
    Oh the series, as a whole, is utter dreck. In fact it became so with the first sequel. Frankly it's astonishing that it's managed to drag on for so long. Oh well, at least it gave Anderson and the Mrs. a career to be thankful for.

The first movie, though, works for me...to a degree. It's far too tame and Michelle Rodriguez' overacting becomes annoying very quickly. And like the game, once the super monsters make an appearance, it loses steam in a big way.

As for this new one, I can't say that I'll be rushing to see it. I'll leave it for a "WTF am I watching this shite for" Netflix night.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....