Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tales of the Walking Dead..... AMC announces yet another spinoff

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Let’s not forget the musical episode!
    For real?

*sigh*

Unless it's truly well made and composed, lower tier musicals just make me cringe ... I always hate it when non-musical shows/movies suddenly try to do a musical number. It's rare that it works for me, personally.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    For real?

*sigh*

Unless it's truly well made and composed, lower tier musicals just make me cringe ... I always hate it when non-musical shows/movies suddenly try to do a musical number. It's rare that it works for me, personally.
    Hopefully, it is just a joke. There is just no way that anything having to do with decaying reanimated cannibalistic corpses can somehow fit into a "musical" format. Can you imagine?:

(sung to the tune of "Memory" from "Cats")

♫Memory♫
    ♫Turn your rotting face to the moonlight♫
    ♫Let your hunger for warm flesh lead you♫
    ♫Rip open the abdomen, enter in♫
    ♫If you find intestines there♫
    ♫The meaning of what happiness is♫
    ♫Then a new undead life will begin♫

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Let’s not forget the musical episode!
    Shhh.... Don't give AMC any ideas. I wouldn't put it past them to try it at this point....

Super Moderator

UK
    So watched the first episode ... it was okay.

There's certain moments that feel lazy or contrived or just silly screenwriting (e.g. why not destroy the brain of someone you just killed who you are still in close proximity to?), but there's also things that are enjoyable (e.g. Joe's zombie killing defence circle). I enjoyed Crews time on screen, but didn't feel the story really served his character well enough. Perhaps this is set to be an issue with these one-shot stories (not enough time to tell a story that's impactful enough).

After so many seasons of TWD (and FearTWD), it's hard to find new set-ups.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    At least each episode will be a new story with new characters. We'll probably see some stories that just would never have fit in with the main show.
    Waiting for the ISS episode then (based on my story)
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Saw the first episode. It was OK. As usual with zombie-themed shows and movies, though, characters often make the dumbest and most unrealistic decisions that no one in such situations would actually make. For example, the two main characters of this story could easily have ended up just taking over the batshit crazy girl's bunker. They have a very secure and stocked place to call a new home now. But no, instead they bizarrely just leave and rather take their chances out there with the zombies and who-knows what other hostile elements they might stumble upon. Absurd.
    Last edited by JDP; 15-Aug-2022 at 11:16 AM. Reason: ;

United States
    Saw the episode last night and it was garbage. A crap fest. The story is beaten to death. Not a single ounce of tension and both leads were terrible actors

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Harleydude666 View Post
    Saw the episode last night and it was garbage. A crap fest. The story is beaten to death. Not a single ounce of tension and both leads were terrible actors
    Oh dear!

This series should allow for uber duper results. Single short stories set in any phase of the out break... Anywhere...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Just been bitten

Scotland
    Prepare yourselves for the second episode. set right at the outbreak, I was enjoying it and then I was left wondering what I had just watched.

I look forward to your thoughts on it, but this was a horrible idea in my opinion.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMoonMonkey View Post
    Prepare yourselves for the second episode. set right at the outbreak, I was enjoying it and then I was left wondering what I had just watched.

I look forward to your thoughts on it, but this was a horrible idea in my opinion.
    Judging by the first episode, I bet that characters making illogical counterintuitive decisions will be the order of the day. It seems like zombies somehow magically screw up people's capability for rational thinking and self-preservation instincts. "Oh look, we have a safe place here with everything one needs to be able to survive... so, let's go out there in the open, where the zombies and hostile marauding survivors are, and continue to unnecessarily expose ourselves to more danger" (?!?!?)

Just been bitten

Scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Judging by the first episode, I bet that characters making illogical counterintuitive decisions will be the order of the day. It seems like zombies somehow magically screw up people's capability for rational thinking and self-preservation instincts. "Oh look, we have a safe place here with everything one needs to be able to survive... so, let's go out there in the open, where the zombies and hostile marauding survivors are, and continue to unnecessarily expose ourselves to more danger" (?!?!?)
    I am still not sure what was going on. As it stands I think it makes a mockery of the whole franchise. There is a line said at the end of the episode where I think it alludes to some kind of symptom of the phenomenon that brings folk back but if that is indeed what they are trying to portray then it is a massive own goal in my opinion. I like that Posey Parker and love the outbreak part of the genre but that episode is not how I imagined it would be from the preview.

Super Moderator

UK
    So the second episode ... ... what a load of fucking shite.

Basically a really crap version of Final Destination in the TWD world.

Now, if you're going to set stories within the same world as TWD then, you know, the same rules of that world should apply.

Two thoroughly uninteresting protagonists, as well, and some of the shoddiest green screen work I've seen in a very long time. I mean, truly, astonishingly poor. I've seen sitcoms in the 1990s pull it off better than that.

Also, so many moments where you think "why would they do that?" (e.g. why would the kid get in the gas truck?) ... and also, why would you decide to steal a gas truck any way? It's not like you can just hop in and drive off with it easy peasy as if it was a fucking Prius ... speaking of, it was clearly not in the slightest bit blocked in that parking lot. You could have easily got that shitbox out of that space.

So episode one was thoroughly mediocre, and episode two was fucking awful ... ... episode three is an Alpha/Lydia flashback episode ... *fingers crossed* they can at least get that right!!!

Administrator

England
    Sheesh, you'd think they'd want to land running with this new series so be careful about the quality of the first episodes...
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Actually, this second episode is more like the basic premise of the 1997 movie Retroactive (which, incidentally, Sherman "Bub" Howard was in), except that there is NO time-machine here to explain the going back in time many times in order to try to correct the disastrous turn of events in the time-line. It was great for that sci-fi action movie, since it is about an experimental time-machine, but it falls flat here in this TWD setting.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Actually, this second episode is more like the basic premise of the 1997 movie Retroactive (which, incidentally, Sherman "Bub" Howard was in), except that there is NO time-machine here to explain the going back in time many times in order to try to correct the disastrous turn of events in the time-line. It was great for that sci-fi action movie, since it is about an experimental time-machine, but it falls flat here in this TWD setting.
    And it doesn't make any sense for it to be in this TWD universe, which is supposed to basically be 'our world but with zombies in it (and nothing in pop culture about "zombies")'...

You'd never have this story take place on the main show, so it makes no sense for it to be in this one, which is in the exact same universe. When all that silly bullshit was going on Rick Grimes was lying in a coma.