Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tales of the Walking Dead..... AMC announces yet another spinoff

United States

Tales of the Walking Dead..... AMC announces yet another spinoff

https://deadline.com/2021/10/tales-o...ad-1234854559/

Just what we didn't need. And apparently, Gimple will be heavily involved.

Rising

United States
    "Milking the zombie coooow!"

***Said in the same manner as the "Super Fine!" line of Cutter from Death Wish II***

@0:38

Administrator

England
    I like the idea of it being stand alone stories. Gives them far more opportunity for vareity in the stories...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

through another dimension bassman's Avatar
    Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    I rolled my eyes when I first saw headlines about this. However, like Neil, I’m intrigued by it being an anthology series. At least that’s a slightly different spin on this worn out IP.

Administrator

England
    Mind you, JDP prefers the term, bunch of self contained short stories to anthology.

*sneaks out before JDP punches me*
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    This was first announced back when the series finale and the Daryl/Carol spin-off was announced.

Not too thrilled with this unless some of my favorite characters are involved.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    This was first announced back when the series finale and the Daryl/Carol spin-off was announced.

Not too thrilled with this unless some of my favorite characters are involved.
    I actually like the idea of stories having no baggage, and being able to be in any part of the world, at any time, with any characters to make the most out of the situation.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    This could have potential, like Neil is saying, more potential to not get bogged down - tell a story, move on.

Hopefully there'll be an air of brevity about it.

Initial season of six one-hour episodes (the standard procedure at AMC, it seems). I'd prefer shorter seasons, quite frankly. 16 episodes has really been too long for TWD for several years now, and I think 10 episode seasons could have really helped the show's longevity from the get-go.

I do worry that there's too much going on in the TWD world, and that the audience isn't going to really get a breather. I don't bother with World Beyond as it was beyond fucking awful, and I persevere with FearTWD watching them sped-up just to grind through them for the occasional good parts.

I'll watch this anthology series and hope for the best, and I'll watch the Daryl & Carol spin-off as well with interest.

And WTF is going on with the Rick Grimes movie? I thought it was three films, now when I do hear about it it seems like just one? The main show's gonna be finished by the time anything happens with those. They might as well just loop Rick back into the main show and leave it at that, never mind any TV movies.

Ireland
    I'd say that the so called "Rick Grimes movie" is probably dead in the water despite what some people are saying. Once 'The Walking Dead' is finished, I doubt there'll be too many people interested in such a thing and it will show up Lincoln's idea to...ahem...walk away to be the exceptionally bad move that it was. I think old Andy got a few delusions of grandeur with his stint at the top of a popular TV show and probably had one or two execs blowing smoke up his arse too about being a movie star, which is at the centre of every TV star's heart I spose. I seriously think Egg may have scuppered his entire career. I may be wrong, of course, but I will very surprised if this "Rick Grimes movie" ever sees the light of day.

As for future projects, the Walking Dead universe would be wise to take a leaf out of Black Summer's book and keep things moving along at a faster pace with shorter series runs featuring fewer episodes. Maybe not as few as 'Black Summer' though. Keep things flowing at around 10 episodes a series. I agree that that sounds preferable. Tell your story, don't dwell on boring shite, and fuck off to the next scenario. A good idea would be a zombie road movie, of sorts, featuring a small band that comes into contact with various groups as they journey across the country. Which was sorta how 'Black Summer' played out.

Thing is, I think the producers have just run out of ideas for this "universe" and that was the case the moment they decided on the first spin off, 'Fear the Walking Dead', which became redundant after about 4 episodes.
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 13-Oct-2021 at 06:16 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    I have my doubts that this will be any good. I think what it will boil down to is the episodes being 1 hour long, low budget / quality, made-for-TV movies of the week. I will give it a try, though.

I'm kind of hoping the the Daryl & Carol BS doesn't see the light of day. Every new Walking Dead related thing AMC tries just gets worse and worse. They need to just call it quits already.

United States
    Just give me a damn good quality send off to the main series- that hits the right feels. That’s all I need.
    Last edited by Moon Knight; 14-Oct-2021 at 03:00 PM. Reason: nomorespinoffsunlesstheyinvolverositaokamcyoubastards.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Just been bitten

Scotland
    I hope these stories are set during the first weeks of the outbreak. I really can't be doing with any more mad and bad people in a post apocalyptic world setting.

I know I am going to be disappointed though...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicMoonMonkey View Post
    I hope these stories are set during the first weeks of the outbreak. I really can't be doing with any more mad and bad people in a post apocalyptic world setting.

I know I am going to be disappointed though...
    This.

Hopefully, we don't get more of the tired "psycho villain of the week" BS. Time for something new already.

Super Moderator

UK
    Yeah, we don't need more of that - rushed through in 45 minutes nonetheless.

This is an opportunity to tell curious and strange stories, little side events ... like a lone survivor who just can't shake loose one determined walker who's out to nosh on their innards.

Small and contained little stories. If you're trying to bash out an entire arc inside 45 minutes then you can't get too large with it, otherwise it'll be as rushed and slapdash as an episode of Doctor Who, which has suffered for years with trying to introduce new characters and a new setting, get them together with the Doctor and their assistant(s), find out what's going on, kill a few red shirts off, and then wrap everything up - as a result you so often ended up with sloppy writing with bland cookie cutter characters whose names you never knew with no time for tension or any sense of rich storytelling. Just wham/bam/fuck it we're done.

So - hopefully Tales of TWD will avoid this!

Great Britain
    I would love to see the story of that Army unit that sadly ran afoul or the Governor, seeing them survive in the early days and ending the episode with a figure in the background approaching them.