Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead: Season 7 and Season 8...

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Well, I've said it before, I'll be very surprised if that Rick Grimes movie ever sees the light of day.

He may, indeed, be "taking a breather" and not making decisions based of delusions of grandeur, but his decision to do so pretty much scuppered the show and maybe even his career.
    I say forget the movies and come back to finish the show!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    I say forget the movies and come back to finish the show!
    At this point, yeah.

It'd be crap to end the show and not have Rick Grimes return with Michonne. We need a proper conclusion within the actual show itself, not tacked-on in something else.

I'd still be interested to see a spin-off movie about what happened during that time, but there's seemingly been fuck all movement on this movie. At one point they were saying it would be three movies, right? I didn't just dream that up, did I?

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    At this point, yeah.

It'd be crap to end the show and not have Rick Grimes return with Michonne. We need a proper conclusion within the actual show itself, not tacked-on in something else.

I'd still be interested to see a spin-off movie about what happened during that time, but there's seemingly been fuck all movement on this movie. At one point they were saying it would be three movies, right? I didn't just dream that up, did I?
    Yes, that's right, they said 3 movies. But there hasn't been a peep about even one so far. Andrew Lincoln must have signed a contract with them for these movies before leaving the show, so one has to wonder what the heck happened. Did they breach contract? Or did they reach a new agreement? (a la Schwarzenegger with the three Conan movies he was supposed to make for Dino De Laurentiis, but only two were made, and then they offered him Red Sonja to fulfill his contract instead of another Conan entry)?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/andrew-l...cision-2865227

Super Moderator

UK
    Ah! I knew it was for family reasons.

This is part of the problem with TV seasons being long. Especially with so much competition out there I don't see any reason for any show to be longer than 10 episodes. Shows like TWD should only be 10 per season and I think it'd have a positive impact in many ways - less time away from family / more time to pursue other opportunities while staying on the show for cast & crew (so you don't have to awkwardly write people out or lose your hero/heroine), and it'd also be better for the audience as fewer episodes mean they won't get burned out as quick, especially if a show really has to drag out it's material to fulfil that many episodes - traditional American seasons of 24 episodes are riddled with filler in particular ... or just look at FearTWD. So much friggin' filler ... painting fucking trees? Oh jog the fuck on!

Super Moderator

UK
    FearTWD is back ... and woof.

Just watched 7x09 (7x10 and 7x11 are already out), and what a load of bollocks. Didn't help that it was an Alicia episode. She's one of the most intensely irritating and poorly written characters on the show by a long old way.

I've never seen a show lose its way so often in so many different ways. There's been good points on the show throughout the seasons, and great ideas that have been wasted on stupid characters, cliched villains, underwritten plots, and a general vibe of nonsense that seems to permeate everything.

7x09 has a dude who's blasting music ridiculously loud, but don't worry, a few mattresses slung up against his windows has 'sound proofed' the house. How does he know? Good question - because he's deaf - so how the hell would he know?! Also, where on earth is he getting his power from?

A nuclear bomb has gone off and yet the fallout seems to be very sporadic and localised. It's either totally bad or just dandy. Eh?

Dreadfully pretentious dialogue and attempts at somehow being profound, but it's just junk and filler. I've lost grip on what's happening, why it's happening ... the only reason I'm still watching is for the occasional good bit or the odd character that I do actually like, as well as that trap of having invested so much time in it that I don't want to just ditch-out. It was easy to ditch-out on World Beyond because it was so terrible from the get-go, but FearTWD has been up and down like a rollercoaster across every single season. Just when you're gonna quit, something decent comes along. There's even been some great episodes (e.g. 4x01) ... but geez ... what a mess it has turned into again.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Yes, that's right, they said 3 movies. But there hasn't been a peep about even one so far. Andrew Lincoln must have signed a contract with them for these movies before leaving the show, so one has to wonder what the heck happened. Did they breach contract? Or did they reach a new agreement? (a la Schwarzenegger with the three Conan movies he was supposed to make for Dino De Laurentiis, but only two were made, and then they offered him Red Sonja to fulfill his contract instead of another Conan entry)?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/andrew-l...cision-2865227
    Red Sonja was a travesty. I loved the Conans'. Yes even the Destroyer. Remember my dad and I watching that together over and over. I guess Arnie wasnt a fan of Destroyer. I would have loved an entry with King Conan.

- - - Updated - - -

FearTWD is back ... and woof.

Just watched 7x09 (7x10 and 7x11 are already out), and what a load of bollocks. Didn't help that it was an Alicia episode. She's one of the most intensely irritating and poorly written characters on the show by a long old way.

I've never seen a show lose its way so often in so many different ways. There's been good points on the show throughout the seasons, and great ideas that have been wasted on stupid characters, cliched villains, underwritten plots, and a general vibe of nonsense that seems to permeate everything.

7x09 has a dude who's blasting music ridiculously loud, but don't worry, a few mattresses slung up against his windows has 'sound proofed' the house. How does he know? Good question - because he's deaf - so how the hell would he know?! Also, where on earth is he getting his power from?

A nuclear bomb has gone off and yet the fallout seems to be very sporadic and localised. It's either totally bad or just dandy. Eh?

Dreadfully pretentious dialogue and attempts at somehow being profound, but it's just junk and filler. I've lost grip on what's happening, why it's happening ... the only reason I'm still watching is for the occasional good bit or the odd character that I do actually like, as well as that trap of having invested so much time in it that I don't want to just ditch-out. It was easy to ditch-out on World Beyond because it was so terrible from the get-go, but FearTWD has been up and down like a rollercoaster across every single season. Just when you're gonna quit, something decent comes along. There's even been some great episodes (e.g. 4x01) ... but geez ... what a mess it has turned into again.
    I watched parts of Season 2 and never went back. Some day when im closing in on death I hope to watch some of it, but with these reviews I'm not too hopeful. I sure miss the days when TWD created so much conversation and was hitting 13 plus million views per episode. Seasons 2-5 had people, not into zombies(walkers) before, falling in love with the genre. FEAR started off cool as heck but got too deep past the initial panic/fall that I lost interest fast.
    Last edited by facestabber; 25-Apr-2022 at 03:14 AM. Reason: error

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I watched parts of Season 2 and never went back. Some day when im closing in on death I hope to watch some of it, but with these reviews I'm not too hopeful. I sure miss the days when TWD created so much conversation and was hitting 13 plus million views per episode. Seasons 2-5 had people, not into zombies(walkers) before, falling in love with the genre. FEAR started off cool as heck but got too deep past the initial panic/fall that I lost interest fast.
    I wouldn't bother. I'm sunk in it now, too many episodes and seasons watched ... so if I gave up it'd feel like all that time was wasted completely ... but if you ditched out in season two, I'd say keep it that way. I had decided to give up at the end of season three, but then season four got off to an excellent start with its TWD cross-over and new character John Dorie (probably the best character the show ever had, one that I would've loved to have seen utilised better on the main show), but then the whiff of rot began creeping back in with seasons 5 and 6, and now we're on 7 and the intrigue and promise of what a nuclear fallout could provide in a zombie apocalypse setting is being wasted on boring story and characters.

It simply cannot sustain 16 episodes per season as it doesn't have anywhere near enough story to fill all that. The show also suffers from basically retreating numerous plot points that were already covered (and covered well) on TWD, so it so often is just 'a poor copy of the parent show', lurching from one forgettable villain to the next, one half-assed encampment to the next, with cast members fleeing for the exit clauses in their contracts once they realise they're getting stuck with dreck. There's only three original cast members remaining, one of them is the worst character on the entire show, another is an annoying arse whose attitude in any given season shifts wildly from one outlook to the complete opposite, while the other is actually good and compelling but severely under-used.

It's amazing, really, as the current showrunners had written some excellent episodes of TWD, but FearTWD is a show built on shifting sands with caverns of empty space that always need filling with never enough content available.

It completely lost its reason for being after season one. It should have been a mini-series with a limited number of episodes, because even from season two you could see where the wind was blowing.

There's some truly stupid things that happen, some truly naff choices made at times (e.g. Alicia's 'choice weapon' of a broken gun barrel, an entire subplot about painting fucking trees), and any good ideas that stray into different territory get totally squandered on crap writing, dull plotting, and cliched characterisation. It also doesn't help that the characters are so separated for much of the time, so you've got little clusters here and there and you actually forget that some characters even exist because they're off-screen for so many episodes at a time - I'd completely forgotten that Dwight from TWD, for example, was in the show until just now.

The few glimmers of interest aren't worth you getting into it, frankly. Stick with TWD.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 25-Apr-2022 at 09:53 AM.

Rising

United States
    Red Sonja was a travesty. I loved the Conans'. Yes even the Destroyer. Remember my dad and I watching that together over and over. I guess Arnie wasnt a fan of Destroyer. I would have loved an entry with King Conan.
    I found it rather amusing and funny (mostly unintentionally so.) Same for the second Conan flick. But the masterpiece is the first Conan movie. Best damn barbarian-themed film ever made.

United States
    Just like MZ, I’m too invested at this point. FTWD is such a frustrating show now, it’s sad.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Just like MZ, I’m too invested at this point. FTWD is such a frustrating show now, it’s sad.
    I was watching 7x09 last night - and at 1.63x speed, I might add, just so I can skim through quicker! - and there were numerous points where I just rolled my eyes at cringey lines of dialogue, clunky moments of attempted profundity, and the sheer volume of filler.

So many episodes feel disconnected from the whole, distinct capsules of absolute inconsistency, with some very silly ideas tossed in that kind of suggest a disregard for the established vibe of the main show.

FearTWD so often comes across as unruly in a bad way, in an ill-disciplined way, in a way that suggests the showrunners don't really know what to do at any one point, and when they do have an idea it's either so poorly executed or attached to very poor characterisation (with the characters often making very dumb decisions along the way). It feels like nowhere near enough thought is put into this show and, despite multiple 'reboots' of sorts, it has never truly rebooted itself and wasted absolute gold mines for story.

United States
    I was watching 7x09 last night - and at 1.63x speed, I might add, just so I can skim through quicker! - and there were numerous points where I just rolled my eyes at cringey lines of dialogue, clunky moments of attempted profundity, and the sheer volume of filler.

So many episodes feel disconnected from the whole, distinct capsules of absolute inconsistency, with some very silly ideas tossed in that kind of suggest a disregard for the established vibe of the main show.

FearTWD so often comes across as unruly in a bad way, in an ill-disciplined way, in a way that suggests the showrunners don't really know what to do at any one point, and when they do have an idea it's either so poorly executed or attached to very poor characterisation (with the characters often making very dumb decisions along the way). It feels like nowhere near enough thought is put into this show and, despite multiple 'reboots' of sorts, it has never truly rebooted itself and wasted absolute gold mines for story.
    Yessir and they always follow the same formula. Starts great, ends very bad. Have you seen 7x11 yet?

Super Moderator

UK
    Yessir and they always follow the same formula. Starts great, ends very bad. Have you seen 7x11 yet?
    Not yet. I've only done 7x09 so far, got 10 and 11 sitting around still to be watched.

Super Moderator

UK
    I watched 7x10 last night. Quite an improvement over 7x09, which was just dull as ditchwater ... I mean, seriously, that as your mid-season premiere?!

However - that's two episodes in a row now where they've spent a great deal of time introducing a brand new character only to kill them off at the end, meanwhile there's a large and scattered cast of established characters sitting around twiddling their thumbs!

They're playing kinda fast and loose with this whole nuclear fallout thing, too.

Super Moderator

UK
    Okay, caught up with 7x11.

Enjoyed the 'zombie cage' thing. Still pretty darn fast and loose with nuclear radiation, huh? Also - they see irradiated walkers milling about below, right near where that big long pokey stick used for zombie killin' is, and don't take them out ... just kicking the can on down the road, huh? It's like the ZA version of littering. Tsk tsk!

Ireland
    Conan sunk because few people were fans of Destroyer. It was crap and reviews were quite scathing.

I think the original premise was for Conan to run as a series of movies or, at the very least, a trilogy. But the bad reviews and relatively poor BO of 'Conan the Destroyer' put paid to that particular venture. Plus 'Red Sonja' getting savaged from critics, as well, put Arnie off of the sword and sorcery gigs in a big way. Into the bargain, Sly was having great (and somewhat regrettable) success with 'Rambo', which spurned Arnie to go in a more muscles and guns direction.

It's done now though. Arnie's way too old for it at this stage, he's an OAP. It would end up ludicrous, or worse, Conan will end up getting sidelined by newer "characters" who'll get to teach him modern day "lessons" and "messages".

It's telling that the only sword and sorcery movie of that era that was any use was 'Conan the Barbarian', and that's down to the writing of John Milius. Once that was gone, we're into very dodgy territory indeed because it's so easy to slip into with this type of movie. The numerous Italian rip off's have some charm to them, but only in a WTF way more than anything else.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....