Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead: Season 7 and Season 8...

Super Moderator

UK
    Finally polished off season 7.

This show needs to end, really. So much squandered potential, so many storylines needlessly drawn out, such poor characterisation (Strand in particular swings so wildly from good to bad for such vague and wooly reasons).

At least...

Alicia's been written out of the show - but they couldn't even get the balls to just kill her off. She gets bitten, cuts off her own arm (in a collapsed tunnel, no less, so not only extraordinarily unsanitary but it was like a scene out of The Descent) and endures an infection for months and survives - she just goes wandering off back to a location she'd only just told strangers to go to on the radio, a place that's on fucking fire and attracting radioactive zombies. I mean ... wtf?

And do we really need all these secret organisations with dodgy methods that don't really make much sense? All this talk about "Padre" for well over a season and we finally get a little glimpse at it farted out in the season finale and that's it? Jog on.

Rising

United States
    Also: no explanation whatsoever about how did Madison survive being trapped in the burning stadium with a horde of zombies coming straight at her. And are we supposed to believe that she survived all this time but yet could not find any remaining member of the group again on her own? What was she doing?? Was she kidnapping babies all this time???

Super Moderator

UK
    It's just downright piss poor writing. FearTWD flip flops wildly all over the place, and they routinely make characters do things that are either fucking stupid or totally outside their moral compass. FearTWD is written not out of any logical sense, it's always written out of 'this needs to happen so therefore it just does'.

I didn't really buy any of the reasoning for Madison doing what she was doing, frankly. And aye, they pretty definitively kill her off (albeit without being particularly visual about it), but this is just a cheap attempt to try and reinvigorate a show that's already circling the drain (and has been for some time).

United States
    Still can’t bring myself to finish this once I found out Alicia left and she won’t even connect with Madison again.

Amazing.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Still can’t bring myself to finish this once I found out Alicia left and she won’t even connect with Madison again.

Amazing.
    1) You're not missing much.
    2) I'm surprised you were that invested!

Alicia has been 'written out alive' (I was hoping they'd bump her off, so annoying as she is), and I didn't care much for how they brought back Madison, which just smacked of stunt writing and "okay, I'll do it, 'cos I could use the money after Covid".

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    1) You're not missing much.
    2) I'm surprised you were that invested!

Alicia has been 'written out alive' (I was hoping they'd bump her off, so annoying as she is), and I didn't care much for how they brought back Madison, which just smacked of stunt writing and "okay, I'll do it, 'cos I could use the money after Covid".
    Bringing Madison back is just too contrived. She should have been left "dead" (which I strongly suspect was the original intention.) So, she somehow escaped that burning, zombie-infested mess, but yet she has not stumbled upon any of the remaining members of the group until now? Really? Where has she been all this time? Stealing babies? I'm not buying it. The most logical thing would have been for her to try to catch up with the group (where her son and daughter were) as soon as possible right after her escape, even if she had health "complications". All she did in the show was ultimately for the survival of her children, but all of a sudden now she changes her mind just like that and doesn't care??? Baloney. And trying to use "PADRE" as an excuse doesn't seem to cut it. Those folks seem interested in appropriating other people's babies, not young adults who can already fend for themselves.
    Last edited by JDP; 14-Jun-2022 at 10:39 PM. Reason: ;

Super Moderator

UK
    It's all the more galling as the showrunners are always trying so hard to sell this shit to we the viewers, as if it was some grand master plan and not some random 'ah fuck it' moment aboard the good ship calamity where they just lurch from one dumb idea to the next. Either they truly believe they're writing quality stuff, or they know it's shit and they're a) doing nothing to rectify it, and b) don't particularly care. Whichever way doesn't reflect well on the show or those in charge of it.

The only think consistent about FearTWD over all the years has been how inconsistent it has been.

Super Moderator

UK
    So season 8 is underway with three or four episodes have already aired for the 12 episode season (four shorter than the usual run). It'll be two doses of six episodes each.

Haven't watched any of the new season yet. I'll get around to it some time, I guess. I've watched it this far, it'd feel weird to not polish it off now ... but I'm not inspired to dive into it in any hurry after too much filler and too many dull/repeated/silly plotlines from FearTWD over the seasons, that have got in the way of any and all of the good stuff the show has done during that same time.

Ireland
    Haven't watched any of it myself. Don't know if I'll bother with it any more.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    I already heard the same writing problems exist. Don’t think I can finish this one.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Rising

United States
    This spin-off ended this past weekend. Main characters were basically dispatched in a hurry. Plus Troy (yes, he somehow "survived" and reappeared too! Just like Madison) kept on pulling the "I will tell lies, tee-hee!" card over and over, and Madison somehow kept on falling for them, hook, line and sinker! The whole thing looked very rushed and contrived.

Administrator

England
    Didn't even realise this was still a thing!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I skimmed through the first episode of season eight, because it quickly became quite rubbish. I've been meaning to skim through more but there's so much more stuff to watch out there that absolutely shits all over this show, so I've not got around to it. I had thought of trying to catch up in time for it finishing, but there we are.

United States
    I lost track of FTWD somewhere in the middle of season 4. I lost track of TWD in the middle of season 10. I should have lost track of it several years before that.

Administrator

England
    What happened to Victor Strand and Morgan Jones in the series?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan