Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fear The Walking Dead: Season 7 and Season 8...

Super Moderator

UK

Fear The Walking Dead: Season 7 and Season 8...

Alright folks, the seventh season of FearTWD is upon us - have at your chat here.

However, do try to keep spoilers inside 'spoiler tags' as this thread will cover the whole of season seven.

Super Moderator

UK
    Okay, so ... first episode...

Visually the show has always been quite strong, but beyond that it's always struggled. Kind of more of the same.

Strand really does feel like he flip-flops wildly at times, although I did enjoy that moment on the roof.

United States
    Where you watch this at?
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Where you watch this at?
    The salty seas.

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The salty seas.
    You scurvy dog! I see how it is.
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Watched the second episode ... ... I'm unclear on this 'six hours' thing ... is that in total or at one time? 'Cos they've been out searching for food on multiple occasions and, in Morgan's case, he managed to put together a nuclear apocalypse proof vehicle ... ... what?!

Again, it looks fantastic and super grim and quite horrific at times, but it's the story and the characters and the way the show is written that's just so uninspiring. I'm kinda only watching it because I've kept with it this far and I am interested in a couple of the characters and want to see if/how it ties back into the main show, but geez, it's hard to succinctly surmise my issues with the show.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I'm kinda only watching it because I've kept with it this far...
    I'm passed that, and unless reviews convince me otherwise... I'm out.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I'm passed that, and unless reviews convince me otherwise... I'm out.
    Understandable.

It's annoying, because FearTWD tosses in some great ideas now and then, but they often feel wasted on idiotic characters and shonky writing.

FearTWD is plagued by a sense of underwhelming as so many cast members have abandoned ship over the years. I mean for crying out loud, there's only one of the original family left on the show and it's the least interesting one! Strand just goes round in circles swaying back and forth between evil selfish bastard and moments of self-realisation dusted with altruism ... but Daniel is always an interesting character, at least on the strength of Ruben Blades alone who elevates the material he's given by a considerable amount.

You can't help but get a feeling that FearTWD is like a dinghy which keeps springing leaks and everyone on board has to keep bailing it out, while half the people on board just say 'fuck it' and dive overboard and swim off to a nearby cruise ship for sex and sangria. It too often feels lost as to its purpose. They went over so much ground that had already been covered on the main show years prior and it's USP - showing the initial stages of the downfall - was thrown away after a few episodes. There was so much material they could have dug into there and made it something different from the main show, but nope, tossed that opportunity away...

I actually watch the episodes sped-up to get through them quicker.

Ireland
    FTWD can, at times, be better than the parent show. But it always manages to shit bed just when I am coming around to it. The last time was in the last series where Morgan lets the end of the world psychos go when they confront them in the sub. I turned the air blue with that shite. Stuff like that is just so insulting to the viewer.

But every character on the show does weird stuff. I've lost count at the amount of times I wanted to kick Morgan in the arse because of his stupid mumbo jumbo and Strand I just can't keep up with. The best character in whole show, John Dory, got whacked by that crazy little cow. But at least his old man is around and Carradine is putting in a decent shift.

But as far as both shows are concerned I am merely sticking with them at this point. I'm actually happy that TWD is coming to an end as that show is out of road.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Biggest mistake in TWD: to get rid of Rick. He was the only character who was not "disposable". It has never been the same without him being an active part of the storyline. At its core, the whole show had always revolved around Rick. It was basically his story.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Biggest mistake in TWD: to get rid of Rick. He was the only character who was not "disposable". It has never been the same without him being an active part of the storyline. At its core, the whole show had always revolved around Rick. It was basically his story.
    And yet, oddly enough, the comics actually benched Rick somewhat towards the end. He became less active due to injuries and was more of a political figure, and the other characters took over more of the heavy lifted.

Was it as good? No, of course not. However, it is interesting that - albeit in a different way - the comics kinda pushed Rick Grimes aside for a spell. He was still involved, but with a missing hand, age, and a fucked up leg, he couldn't do an awful lot. Kirkman kinda wrote himself into a corner there.

Ireland
    Yeah, Rick leaving (or rather Andrew Lincoln leaving) put a large hole in the good ship TWD that it just hasn't been able to recover from. There are good characters that surrounded Rick, but they were all essentially "also rans", where TWD was Rick's story.

Really poor move by Lincoln and I'd say he'll come to regret it, if he hasn't already.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Yeah, Rick leaving (or rather Andrew Lincoln leaving) put a large hole in the good ship TWD that it just hasn't been able to recover from. There are good characters that surrounded Rick, but they were all essentially "also rans", where TWD was Rick's story.

Really poor move by Lincoln and I'd say he'll come to regret it, if he hasn't already.
    I more got the impression he was taking a bit of a break. His family were living in England while he spent most of the year over in Georgia shooting the show, and after several years doing that it puts pressure on a person and their family. I got the vibe it was more about being able to spend time with his family, possibly at a crucial time. He's only done a couple of things since, with a GdT television show coming up and the Rick Grimes movie, so my impression is more to do with taking a breather.

Considering he's Rick Grimes, there's no way he couldn't have walked into a bunch of projects if he'd wanted to.

Ireland
    Well, I've said it before, I'll be very surprised if that Rick Grimes movie ever sees the light of day.

He may, indeed, be "taking a breather" and not making decisions based of delusions of grandeur, but his decision to do so pretty much scuppered the show and maybe even his career.