Thread: Alma

Twitching

Undisclosed

Alma

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7milLEz3Ij4&t=228s
    This is a short from 2009 that was supposed to get a full feature by Dreamworks but nothings materialised.

Administrator

England
    OMG! That's dark!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Gosh, I wonder why Dreamworks never made a feature out of that!

That said, it's a very well made short that tells it's story very succinctly with lovely touches to the animation. But yeah, it played out much like a horror film, so I'd imagine it'd be too scary for smaller kids anyway, at least in the USA and similar territories where they're surrounded by cotton wool.

Ireland
    Wouldn't work as a full film. Great as a little short though.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    I wouldn't like my young kids to watch this... Disturbing content wrapped up as something else.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Wouldn't work as a full film. Great as a little short though.
    If you had the right story and characters to go along with it, you could ... but it'd really all rest on having the right material with enough room for exploration, which would be possible, but it'd also be just as likely to feel overlong with little to say or do with the wrong script.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    I wouldn't like my young kids to watch this... Disturbing content wrapped up as something else.
    Yeah, it's a really creepy idea. Perhaps in some other territories around the world where they have really disturbing children's stories as a regular thing, but there's no way you could seel this to a mainstream audience in the USA, for example ... especially these days.

Twitching

Undisclosed
    Selfie dolls seem to be new to the US and UK, they were a thing when and where this short is set: France, but I can't imagine a toy manufacturer supporting any film based on this given it may scare kids off the idea of selfie dolls.
    Last edited by Rottedfreak; 15-Oct-2021 at 10:58 AM. Reason: overlong.