Thread: Don't Look Up (Netflix movie) - Based on real events that haven't happened

Administrator

England

Don't Look Up (Netflix movie) - Based on real events that haven't happened

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Great Britain
    Hope it's as fun as the Trailer is, It does have a damn fine cast.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Ruined by Jonah Hill.

Also, Adam McKay doesn't really impress me anymore.

Administrator

England
    Great first 2/3rds... Shame the last 3rd loses its way. Pretty good watch though...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Funnily enough I just got done watching this myself.

It has some great moments, some of which are in that vibe of the most famous scene from Network, but damn was it too long. I've seen longer films that felt shorter, and shorter films that felt longer ... 45 minutes in the movie felt like it was only just getting underway! There were many scenes that went on longer than they needed to, or even a few scenes that could have almost been hacked out entirely ... there was certainly room for a lot of little trims to tighten the whole thing up. A few times I was sat there waiting for the movie to move forward.

That said, there were some very well done scenes ... although I didn't find it as funny as I thought I might ... weirdly enough it felt too realistic! Specifically, the horrific stupidity of humanity ... it was so near the knuckle that it was kind of a bummer!

I really liked the closing moments, though, with the characters around the dinner table as the world is ending. Initially it's a safe, normal bubble, but then the inevitable creeps in - the flickering lights, the earth quaking, the dust falling. That part felt quite powerful.

Administrator

England
    Yeh. Overlong. And as I said for me, the last third just felt a bit lost compared to the rest of the movie...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yeh. Overlong. And as I said for me, the last third just felt a bit lost compared to the rest of the movie...
    Numerous scenes felt like they were taking too long to get the point across, so as a viewer you're ahead of the game - you understand the point of the scene and then you're waiting for it to end so we can move forward with the story. Poorly paced, in that regard. Felt too indulgent. Some judicious (digital) scissor action in the editing room would have been wise.

Still, it had plenty going for it anyway. Did you see both end credits scenes? The longer one and then the little tag at the end?

I found "The Big Short" to be the most effective of these 'true comedy' films that McKay has been making recently - the others being "Vice" and now "Don't Look Up".

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Still, it had plenty going for it anyway. Did you see both end credits scenes? The longer one and then the little tag at the end?.
    Yeh, with the last/latter one needing those digital scissors you mentioned
    -Carl Sagan