Thread: Project Zomboid

Ireland

Project Zomboid

Anyone playing this? I bought it a couple of years ago and thought it was shite. But picked it back up after the new overhaul and find now it's quite entertaining.

Once you get past the 90's Sims graphics, the game itself is an absolute bitch. The longest I've survived has been six days and then I got bitten when I was on a supply run. Pity cos that character was on the way to setting up a nice little quiet enclave in a secluded warehouse outside of town. But he got too complacent.

The guy after that lasted 12 hours. He crashed his car, got a gammy leg and then got swarmed in a boozer. Silly bugger.

The game's tagline is "This is how you died" and they're not kidding.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Still trying to do it solo and TBH I don't know how you'd play the game on multiplayer.

Have to say, it has the most wretched control system I have ever seen in any game ever and I've been playing computer games since the 80's. Despite that, though, it's very addictive.

I'll say this for it, it feels like a Romero zombie apocalypse game. It's also one where you can get real overconfident, real fast...and then sure you know what happens.

Administrator

England
    Thoughts after a week?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    It's still entertaining, however it does get a bit samey with regards to how your character lives his/her life. Which I suppose is what would happen in a real life situation.

Once you're ensconced in a safehouse, it becomes about preparing for life on your own. So, you need to find a raft of supplies to support that. In other words, a source of growing food, a source of electricity, a way to gather water. You also need a vehicle of some sort, because getting around the map on foot takes a lot of time/energy and the safer buildings to set up in are out in the sticks naturally. Eventually, depending on how long you survive for or when in the apocalypse you start your character, it comes down to rationing.

Also winter is coming and things are going to start getting colder. I don't know whether the game has seasonal effects for the food that you grow, but I've collected enough canned food to last a while and the warmest clothes I could find. The biggest problem my toon faces now is depression, as he's running out of stuff to do in his downtime. This can be tackled by hopping in the car and going for a drive, but then that means using petrol that the jenny needs. He's read all his books and listened to all his CD's so that mode of entertainment has been exhausted for the time being. The next journey into a town will be for stuff to combat his boredom. But that probably means going to Louisville, cos he's looted the crap out of all the satellite towns and the zombie population there must be huge by now.

But it's a game where each life is a different path and things can get out of control fast. A chopper came by my safehouse, which surprised me. The problem was it also brought a feckin horde of zombies with it who preceded to try and siege my gaff. There was no way I was going to be able to fight them all off, so I had to do a Daryl Dixon and lead them away by slowly driving my car to another area of the map, which took a stupid amount of time as they're slow Romero zombies and not Usain Bolts. I nearly ran out of fuel doing it too. But in the end, I managed to get them far enough away from my warehouse and then sped off still driving in the direction I was leading them. When they were out of sight did a U-turn and headed back home to finish off the stragglers who were left behind.

But they had bashed down one of the doors of my warehouse, so now I have to try and fix that. But my carpentry skill isn't high enough yet and I don't even know if a wooden door will suffice. The zombies don't come round my way much as I'm pretty rural. But if any do they can walk right into the warehouse at the moment. So I have to sleep in the shed. But has one way in and one way out.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    so i have to sleep in the shed. But has one way in and one way out.
    lol!!

There's LOADS of short help videos on YT. I saw one where you can go through any locked door simply by placing a table(?) in front of it, as the crawl over animation/code doesn't then recognise the locked door

EDIT

-Carl Sagan