Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Northman (film)

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    When we see Brad Pitt playing Martin Luther King, or 10% of an 18th century Zulu warrior army being played by white men THEN we'll know it's not just woke box ticking at play... But until then...

What's wrong with simply being historically accurate when you're doing what could be considered an historical representation?
    What are you talking about? We have that kind of casting all the time. Jim Caviezel played Jesus. Christian Bale played Moses. Eric Bana played Hector and Orlando Bloom his brother Paris.

Bridgerton or Mary Queen of Scots aren't aiming for historical accuracy any more than 300.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Bridgerton or Mary Queen of Scots aren't aiming for historical accuracy any more than 300.
    Mary Queen of Scots is representing real people and real events in an historical fashion.

I'm sorry, but there's a PC agenda at play, and it's reaching rediculous levels. I was out to dinner last night with some friends. One of them had just been dealing with a business who had produced a small advert for their company featuring their own staff. A marketing company then told them that it was advised not to release the advert because the five people in it were all white. The marketing company proceeded to advised them of the ethnic breakdown recommended of each of the people that should appear, and the 'issues' that would arise if they didn't.

Returning to the Northman, and it being criticised for it simply being historically correct in its portrayal of white vikings etc... Because of the SJW agenda I mention above, we then end up with double standards and double speak like this:-

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    In fairness, 'The Northman' was criticised in one op ed clickbait piece in The Guardian. Hardly and avalanche of "woke" outrage. There's been more bollocks talk about The Guardian piece than the actual film.

The majority of the actual criticism appears to centre on its middling second act.

So so tired of all this stupid crap from trolls at both ends. Fucking toxic idiotic horseshit. Whinging maggots.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Fucking toxic idiotic horseshit. Whinging maggots.
    Agreed. The growing amount of identity politics is just that...

The majority of the actual criticism appears to centre on its middling second act.
    Yeh, bits of it lagged for me and didn't seem to sit right. Like his supposed slow attack and revenge on his Uncle, which just felt contrived and risky when he could have just killed him easily?

But then I went in really expecting (& looking forward to) a rip roaring viking affair, so was taken aback by its slower pace and mythical overtones...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    So so tired of all this stupid crap from trolls at both ends. Fucking toxic idiotic horseshit. Whinging maggots.
    And the other problem with that is that it diminishes genuine call-outs for the shit coming from either end. It's like some hideous idiot extremist making a legitimately good point - the point gets ruined because it was spoken by a retch, and is then deliberately evaded/ignored by the opposite side who double-down on their actually stupid nonsensical counter to it ... and all because some loudmouth tosspot had to spoil it by letting it cross their own lips.

Ireland
    Agreed. The growing amount of identity politics is just that...
    It's the endless whining about it that's even worse.

We live in a time where even owning a home is beyond a lot of people's aspirations. Renting costs stupid money. The cost of living is getting out of hand in general. Jobs are temporary things for most people and a whole host of other stuff that impact people's lives in a truly negative fashion...

...and there's gobshites having meltdowns and screaming that the sky is falling in because someone might want to use a pronoun or some other mickey mouse non-issue largely of American origin.

I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    ...and there's gobshites having meltdowns and screaming that the sky is falling in because someone might want to use a pronoun or some other mickey mouse non-issue largely of American origin.
    IMHO identity politics is getting worse and worse. ie: It's being pushed to be ever more of an issue and a tool to achieve (other) goals.

From a gender POV, even my daughter (at an all girls school) has noticed a huge growing trend of pupils there jumping on the gender dysphoria bus. Out of the blue she just mentioned her confusion over the growing trend one day. And I suspect much of this is simply kids - who are typically in turbulent positions into their teens - are grasping at the snake oil (SJW and social media endorsed) supposed solution to their woes... Surely better to show tolerance and acceptance across the range of female and male traits than to suggest you need to transition to something else to be happy? Drugs, operations and all... And let's not even get into the other aspect of this where we're now seeing such as men in women's safe areas and sports...

Don't tell me there's not a clear negative trend when many public figures can't tell you what a woman is, or won't for fear of retribution. JK Rowling can shed some light on what discussing such things can result in.

From a racial point of view, racism is becoming more and more of an issue because of the push for identity politics etc. We're heading backwards, where instead of race meaning nothing as regards treatment etc, it's now becoming more important. eg: Segregation based on skin colour is now a thing for some reason? Why? There's jobs now openly posting the skin colour of people who can apply. There's diversity managers appearing across all levels of corporate and private business. Yes, the NHS is p$$ing away money on diversity managers busily grifting away finding issues that don't in truth exist in true emperors new clothes fashion.

And as I said earlier, my friend's experience of a marketing company saying five white people in an advert is problematic and will cause issues... And giving an ethnic shopping list of the people to instead use.

Heck, we can't even watch a football match without players in a wonderfully and hugely diverse sport kneeling for some reason, to tell people in probably the most accepting and tolerant country in the world, at the most accepting and tolerant of times, there's some problem we need to do this to teach you something. Just play and stop preaching (virtue signalling)! Rejoice in how epic the UK is and how much it's improving rather than constantly preaching otherwise...

So sorry, no, it's not a non-issue. Go and buy some men's clothes at George and tell me if you notice anything odd while scrolling down over and over and over - https://direct.asda.com/george/men/D...efault,sc.html

The solution is chuck all the race and gender activism out, and let people just be people... We were heading in the right direction before all this activism decided to take us off in another direction.

/rant
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    IMHO identity politics is getting worse and worse. ie: It's being pushed to be ever more of an issue and a tool to achieve (other) goals.

From a gender POV, even my daughter (at an all girls school) has noticed a huge growing trend of pupils there jumping on the gender dysphoria bus. Out of the blue she just mentioned her confusion over the growing trend one day. And I suspect much of this is simply kids - who are typically in turbulent positions into their teens - are grasping at the snake oil (SJW and social media endorsed) supposed solution to their woes... Surely better to show tolerance and acceptance across the range of female and male traits than to suggest you need to transition to something else to be happy? Drugs, operations and all... And let's not even get into the other aspect of this where we're now seeing such as men in women's safe areas and sports...

Don't tell me there's not a clear negative trend when many public figures can't tell you what a woman is, or won't for fear of retribution. JK Rowling can shed some light on what discussing such things can result in.

From a racial point of view, racism is becoming more and more of an issue because of the push for identity politics etc. We're heading backwards, where instead of race meaning nothing as regards treatment etc, it's now becoming more important. eg: Segregation based on skin colour is now a thing for some reason? Why? There's jobs now openly posting the skin colour of people who can apply. There's diversity managers appearing across all levels of corporate and private business. Yes, the NHS is p$$ing away money on diversity managers busily grifting away finding issues that don't in truth exist in true emperors new clothes fashion.

And as I said earlier, my friend's experience of a marketing company saying five white people in an advert is problematic and will cause issues... And giving an ethnic shopping list of the people to instead use.

Heck, we can't even watch a football match without players in a wonderfully and hugely diverse sport kneeling for some reason, to tell people in probably the most accepting and tolerant country in the world, at the most accepting and tolerant of times, there's some problem we need to do this to teach you something. Just play and stop preaching (virtue signalling)! Rejoice in how epic the UK is and how much it's improving rather than constantly preaching otherwise...

So sorry, no, it's not a non-issue. Go and buy some men's clothes at George and tell me if you notice anything odd while scrolling down over and over and over - https://direct.asda.com/george/men/D...efault,sc.html

The solution is chuck all the race and gender activism out, and let people just be people... We were heading in the right direction before all this activism decided to take us off in another direction.

/rant
    Looks like George woke up.