Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Northman (film)

Administrator

England
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Seems to be getting good reviews.

There was an article in the Guardian newspaper here in the UK (a generally very SJW paper) that was complaining that this film, which was attempting to give a fairly realistic portrayal of Vikings, only had "white vikings", and that women were generally depicted as looking after the home and kids while the men went off to fight. What is it about these folks with their distate for reality, preferring feelies over facts?

Anyhoo... Will try and see it at the cinema being the misogynistic white supremacist I am!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Those will be the same morons who complained about Dunkirk having the termerity to feature nothing but white males. To think of it!
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 24-Apr-2022 at 09:24 PM.

Administrator

England
    OK! Saw this last night. I think I had a problem in that I was expecting more of an action romp type film, and this is far more esoteric and aimed as portraying a myth.

I found some of the sequences a tad clunky/contrived, and although I wouldn't watch it again, I did enjoy it.

7/10
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    OK! Saw this last night. I think I had a problem in that I was expecting more of an action romp type film, and this is far more esoteric and aimed as portraying a myth.

I found some of the sequences a tad clunky/contrived, and although I wouldn't watch it again, I did enjoy it.

7/10
    Admit it: it just wasn't "woke" enough for you. What? No gay black Vikings??? Puh-leeze!!!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Admit it: it just wasn't "woke" enough for you. What? No gay black Vikings??? Puh-leeze!!!
    Aye, he thought it should've been the women doing all the raping and pillaging while the men folk stayed behind and changed Viking nappies. And that it should've been called "The Northperson".

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    You guys sure are hung up on all that perceived woke business going on in todays culture.

Anyway, saw the film in the cinema.
    Beautiful, aesthetic but emotionally shallow. I couldn't help myself from laughing in a couple of scenes because it's just so over-the-top masculine. Like Conan on speed and heroine at the same time.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Beautiful, aesthetic but emotionally shallow.
    Yeh, it was missing something. But I did like the fact the morality on the character was totally up for grabs

Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    You guys sure are hung up on all that perceived woke business going on in today's culture.
    Because it can be jarring...

eg: I was watching a Mary Queen of Scotts historical film, and I kept getting reality check slaps in face by the film showing me POC in 15th century Scottish court? Scotland even now has less than 1% POC, and in the 15th century it was most likely a 100th or thousandth of that... When we see Brad Pitt playing Martin Luther King, or 10% of an 18th century Zulu warrior army being played by white men THEN we'll know it's not just woke box ticking at play... But until then...

What's wrong with simply being historically accurate when you're doing what could be considered an historical representation?
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Don't watch 'Bridgerton' Neil. You'll probably die.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Don't watch 'Bridgerton' Neil. You'll probably die.
    I wasn't really concerned about Bridgerton as it was pitched as exactly what it was, and not in truth a historical/cultural piece.

ps: Seen who the next Dr Who is? Replacing the first female (actress) to play the Doctor? Bet you can't guess anything about them given current times... Nice to see the BBC is still keen on pushing "the message!"
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    I wasn't really concerned about Bridgerton as it was pitched as exactly what it was, and not in truth a historical/cultural piece.

ps: Seen who the next Dr Who is? Replacing the first female (actress) to play the Doctor? Bet you can't guess anything about them given current times... Nice to see the BBC is still keen on pushing "the message!"
    Dr. Woke?

Super Moderator

UK

1) The 'colour blind casting' of something like Bridgerton irks me, because it clashes with it being a period piece, and it ends up painting a false impression of the racial state of play at that time and in that context. Fantastical or not, it's still clunky, unlike in a contemporary modern setting. You might even say it's a bit of a slight against 'POCs' who were alive at that time. It's a bit like Overlord ignoring the racial segregation during WWII.

2) A bit reactionary at this stage, no?

Also, Russell T. Davies coming back after two rather middling/shite showrunners, which should hopefully be a good thing.

I'll give the first episode of the new Who a watch and see what it's like. Tried that with the most recent incarnation, but it was so bad and you could see the direction written on the wall in bloody big bold lettering. Besides, the whole run with Peter Capaldi was woeful bar a few rare moments of decentness and a decent episode on very rare occasions. Capaldi was good in the role, but utterly wasted on dreadful scripts ... so when Whittaker and whoever that new showrunner was came on board I was already on the brink of giving up on Dr Who as it was, but that regeneration sealed the deal. One episode, it was shite, ditched out and stopped wasting my time hoping for half-decent episodes.

We'll see what the new regeneration does...

Ireland

Dr. Who begins and ends with Tom Baker for me and even then it was a bucket of shite.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Dr. Who begins and ends with Tom Baker for me...
    Yep, when you think "Doctor Who", that is the face that comes immediately to mind.

Attached Images

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Yep, when you think "Doctor Who", that is the face that comes immediately to mind.

Of the more recent series, I thought Christopher Eccleston was fab. He was good as the doctor, and, more importantly, the stories were really good... Tennant was OK, but that was beginning of the slide into oblivion of Dr Who for me...
    -Carl Sagan