Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate the last series you've seen

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I wouldn't class it as harsh at all. Jack Reacher is a ridiculous character in a serviceable plot. He's a silly super soldier with unbelievable skills and you never once sense that he might ever be in any danger of failure at any point. He's one twist away from being a parody.

Reacher, the TV series, is airport fiction. It's something that you can rattle off in a short sitting, but it's nothing to write home about or even recommend.

It's the epitome of "OK", with a very poor and juvenile central character. I'd say if you've bugger all else to watch, have a look. But other than that... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Fair enough... Guess only one of us will be watching series 2
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Resident Alien
    I enjoyed the first season, I didn't love it but I liked it. Considering it was a SyFy show, it was surprising that it didn't get shit-canned after one round of episodes. However, considering how the show seems to be going at the moment, I'd be surprised if there was a season three. There's been three episodes shown so far of season two, and quite quickly there was a whiff of suspicion about the plotting - whereby the side and supporting characters begin to have sizeable plots of their own, including the kinda awkward subplot about the mayor and his wife exploring 'BDSM kink play' ... yeah ... and in a show that isn't 'adult rated' and has plenty of content restrictions (it's in a weird grey area where it's trying to be all things to all people in terms of content, that 'one-foot-out' half-assed commitment sorta thing, like a bookworm trying to be an edgelord).

Anyway, the third episode really took the piss. The main plot was the town's women having a drunken night out, with the episode at large serving as an opportunity for the writer to make middle school level political ramblings about the gender pay gap, women's beauty standards (as spouted by a child, weirdly enough - and as if male beauty standards and grooming don't exist, a particularly unbelievable take in 2022), and to include double-standard lines of dialogue such as 'when a woman's talking you sit down and shut up'. Now, if you gender-swapped this episode and kept the dialogue the same, you'd quite rightly be slagged off for being sexist (or, in the hyperbolic lingo style of today, full-blown misogynist), but apparently this way around it's okay. That's not equality, that's revenge, and it does nothing to advance relations between the sexes or come to deeper understanding of one another.

There was a rather crowbarred-in subplot about a female scientist whose boss is a gropey letch (do they not have HR in that work place?!) and while any reasonable person would agree that, yes, that's completely not on, it felt like, overall, this episode had an entire bowl of cherries tossed on top and then punched down into the cake. Tortured metaphor aside, the episode had all the subtlety of a beer belch during a church service and with all the depth of thought and critical thinking of, say, a tubthumping nationalist or a pissed off toddler. Every point was laboured so forcefully and so often that you had to remind yourself constantly that, yes, this is indeed a show about an alien trapped on planet earth with intentions to annihilate the human population while dealing with conflicting emotions about the whole thing.

Indeed, the main story is about an alien, and yet the main plot of this episode was a very poorly handled 'girl power' riff. The very fact that your main character (who's also an alien and also the friggin' narrator!!!) - and your main storyline (which is about an alien tasked with destroying all the human life on Earth!!!) - is getting sidelined for cheap talking points, political argy-bargy that's about as fresh as a week old salmon washed-up on the riverside and about as revelatory as 'the sky is blue', and a series of promoted subplots where supporting players are getting main player levels of attention, suggests a bizarre misunderstanding of your key plot and how to tell that story. It also smacks of filler in the worst way.

It's all the more irritating, because while making these hamfisted talking points (any sane person would agree that, yes, sexual harrassment is wrong and illegal, as is paying somebody less money for the same amount of work at the same level of education/skill on the basis of sex/gender/race/etc) they make many of the women look kinda weak-willed and incapable of speaking up for themselves in the most basic manner. Is this the 1950s?

It was all so clumsy and was another step backwards in what the previous episodes were establishing - reducing the main plotline in favour of rather mixed-bag and everyday subplots about the various townsfolk. I'll see how it goes from here, but if this is the new direction of the show then it'll either be time to ditch out or SyFy will notice the tumbling ratings and cancel it as per their usual MO.

Great Britain
    Book of Boba Fett

Was alright, but really got good in the Last 3 episode, enjoyed it over all but hated the mods gang on their stupid scooters and the crappy chase they were in.

Pluses- Rancor, Salacc pit, Mando, Luke looked a lot better in this series, good action, Cad Bane.

Minus- Pacing, Mods gang, also Cad Bane not explained for those that don't watch the Cartoons or read the comics, my lass want who is he, while I'm grinning like a mad man lol.

6/10 for the first 4 episodes and 7/10 for the last 3.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Book of Boba Fett

Was alright, but really got good in the Last 3 episode, enjoyed it over all but hated the mods gang on their stupid scooters and the crappy chase they were in.

Pluses- Rancor, Salacc pit, Mando, Luke looked a lot better in this series, good action, Cad Bane.

Minus- Pacing, Mods gang, also Cad Bane not explained for those that don't watch the Cartoons or read the comics, my lass want who is he, while I'm grinning like a mad man lol.

As I sort of asked MZ, shall I just watch the last three episodes of the series then? Watched ep1 and 2 and just felt myeh about them...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Book of Boba Fett

Yeah, I couldn't be doing with the mod gang either. They felt so out-of-place, and their bikes sucked anyway - had that awful 'trying to making something that's really slow and clunky look fast and slippery' vibe to it. They just felt like they were on some kid's wheeled toy being pushed by an asthmatic hamster. You could see them trying to 'lean in' to turns, but the bikes just stayed rigidly upright. It looked awful, plus the mod gang were all annoying anyway. I don't want some teenage Tattoine tosspots rolling about the joint ... jog on.

Yeah, I had no idea who Cad Bane was whatsoever. I understood from the 'importance' that they placed on the moment that he was somebody big, but being totally unfamiliar with anything the character had been in - and the character as a whole - it was all lost on me.

The best episodes - the last three - were basically Mando episodes anyway, especially eps 5 & 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    As I sort of asked MZ, shall I just watch the last three episodes of the series then? Watched ep1 and 2 and just felt myeh about them...
    Fuckin' yes! Get on with it!

Ireland
    If you have any interest in the Mandalorian TV show, then yes. Although the last episode of BOBF is shite really.

But the fact that the Mando is in there at all just shows how completely and utterly redundant the BOBF was.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Great Britain
    If you want to see how Boba Fett got out of the sarlac pit you could watch the first episode, but the last 3 are the best out of the bunch and you wont miss much not watching the first 4.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, I couldn't be doing with the mod gang either. They felt so out-of-place, and their bikes sucked anyway - had that awful 'trying to making something that's really slow and clunky look fast and slippery' vibe to it. They just felt like they were on some kid's wheeled toy being pushed by an asthmatic hamster. You could see them trying to 'lean in' to turns, but the bikes just stayed rigidly upright. It looked awful, plus the mod gang were all annoying anyway. I don't want some teenage Tattoine tosspots rolling about the joint ... jog on.

Yeah, I had no idea who Cad Bane was whatsoever. I understood from the 'importance' that they placed on the moment that he was somebody big, but being totally unfamiliar with anything the character had been in - and the character as a whole - it was all lost on me.

The best episodes - the last three - were basically Mando episodes anyway, especially eps 5 & 6.

Fuckin' yes! Get on with it!
    Here the Star Wars Wiki about Cad Bane https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Cad_Bane.

Hes also the reason for Boba Fett's dent in his Helmet and why when cad's Hat fell off he had the plate on his head, In a cut seen in one of the cartoons they had a duel about who was the best bounty hunter.

Super Moderator

UK
    Human Resources
    Okay, so technically I've only watched the first 15 minutes of episode one before giving up - but not even a single smirk raised. Ten episodes? I'm not gonna sit through it. I've enjoyed Big Mouth (which this is a spin-off from), but even that can be a bit patchy. I think I just don't dig the idea of turning supporting players into main characters, as is the case here with Human Resources (where the various 'hormone monsters, love bugs etc' all work). They work well within Big Mouth, but I just don't see it really working with them alone. What else could you have done as a spin-off from Big Mouth? I really don't know, other than this show, but it inherently feels a bit 'off'. It didn't grab me whatsoever, whereas Big Mouth had a much better hook. It's not fair to dismiss it on just 15 minutes, but I just couldn't be arsed. I was already lukewarm to the idea of it, and with not even a whiff of a smirk, nevermind a smile or a laugh, I just thought 'nah, mate'.

Formula 1: Drive To Survive - Season 4
    I'm a big F1 fan, and I've enjoyed this show, but it does need to make some changes with it's fifth season (which would cover this 2022 season about to start). The way the show is edited is one of the main issues. On the one hand it does well to tell the stories of the paddock and the season as a whole, but if a story doesn't fit the narrative structure then it's out (e.g. George Russell's epic stand-in weekend for Lewis Hamilton towards the end of the 2020 season was swept aside entirely in season three, with a brief mention here in season four as background context for another story). The big problem, though, is inventing bullshit - season 3 had the egregious notion that Lando Norris and Carlos Sainz (both at McLaren at that point in time as team mates) were bitter rivals, when they were both clearly mates - and still are (they golf together for crying out loud!) ... a lot of fans pointed that out as bullshit, so it was funny to see season 4 try to rectify that ... before trying to play up a bitter rivalry between Lando Norris and new team mate Daniel Ricciardo. Indeed, there's also been a fair bit of 'moving around audio' to make it seem like comments are connected to points in time that they don't belong to, or shunting in-car radio messages about. It's supposed to be a documentary, not make-believe. Casual viewers will be getting lead down the garden path, but anyone with a passing knowledge of editing or F1 will notice these silly bits of editing. It's also a bit of a joke that the show has been nominated for numerous sound editing awards considering how iffy the truth of it is - e.g. George Russell navigating the bus stop chicane at Spa (in Belgium), which is a 1st or 2nd gear corner, with his engine sound running in at least 5th gear!

Still, it's an enjoyable show, especially when you get to see the behind the scenes stories you don't get to see during the season - indeed, this is where the show should put more focus, because season 4 was a bit limp despite the 2021 season being so friggin' epic. I think, perhaps, people were so familiar with the 2021 season that the majority of the storylines were lacking tension because you already know what happens. Apparently there's gonna be changes made for season five, so I hope they fix the problems that have crept into the show.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 18-Mar-2022 at 02:27 PM.

Administrator

England
    Jimmy Savile A British Horror Story (Netflix documentary) - While it was interesting, this didn't really find its stride IMHO. There was a far more interesting documentary in there to be had I recon.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Banned! The Mary Whitehouse Story
    Two-part documentary by the BBC, available on-demand right now. It was quite good, fairly balanced, and gave me a broader picture of the censorious old nuisance. A lot of what she did was misguided or downright wrong-headed, but there was the odd thing that she did (like helping get a Child Protection law onto the books) that actually did some good for the world, rather than just hectoring other people to behave like she wanted, which is the majority of what she got up to (which also included Biblical levels of homophobia). Well worth checking out for a larger view of her and her movement, she certainly knew how to campaign, but it's also interesting to see how the forces of change and freedom are ultimately more powerful.

Jimmy Savile A British Horror Story (Netflix documentary) - While it was interesting, this didn't really find its stride IMHO. There was a far more interesting documentary in there to be had I recon.
    Really? I thought it was very well done. First part was more about establishing just how gigantic he was as a celebrity, the power base he grew around him, his influence - with a simmering of the darkness bubbling in the background - and then the second part was about the tipping point and the exposure of who he really was.

I found the various clips of Savile to be particularly fascinating now in the context of knowing what he was getting up to. Seeing how he basically 'ran towards' accusations of being a creepy old perv with a joke and a wink, as if to disarm the notion (i.e. it would have looked more suspicious if he'd denied and ran away from it, so in viewers' eyes at the time it'd appear to be less likely). Seeing his warped psychology at work in those clips was quite something, and it's amazing just how much more he leaned into the creepy old perv persona as he got into his later years, as if he was challenging everyone to see him for what he really was.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 11-Apr-2022 at 09:50 AM.

Administrator

England
    Really? I thought it was very well done. First part was more about establishing just how gigantic he was as a celebrity, the power base he grew around him, his influence - with a simmering of the darkness bubbling in the background - and then the second part was about the tipping point and the exposure of who he really was.

I found the various clips of Savile to be particularly fascinating now in the context of knowing what he was getting up to. Seeing how he basically 'ran towards' accusations of being a creepy old perv with a joke and a wink, as if to disarm the notion (i.e. it would have looked more suspicious if he'd denied and ran away from it, so in viewers' eyes at the time it'd appear to be less likely). Seeing his warped psychology at work in those clips was quite something, and it's amazing just how much more he leaned into the creepy old perv persona as he got into his later years, as if he was challenging everyone to see him for what he really was.
    Oh, it was well done. And indeed some of the insights were very interesting - like the personal advice to the Royals - but for me it just felt given the 3hrs or so, it could have delved deeper. A lot of it for me felt it was going around in circles...

ps: A mentioned of Peter Sutcliffe who was at Broadmoor might have been interesting... Especially as his 3rd victim was oddly just yards from Savile's appartment. There was also no mention of him possibly visiting the hospital morge too...

Banned! The Mary Whitehouse Story
    ...censorious old nuisance...
    LOL!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Oh, it was well done. And indeed some of the insights were very interesting - like the personal advice to the Royals - but for me it just felt given the 3hrs or so, it could have delved deeper. A lot of it for me felt it was going around in circles...

ps: A mentioned of Peter Sutcliffe who was at Broadmoor might have been interesting... Especially as his 3rd victim was oddly just yards from Savile's appartment. There was also no mention of him possibly visiting the hospital morge too...
    Perhaps they didn't include the Sutcliffe angle as it'd go fairly off-topic and would be hard to slot in without going into a whole bunch of other tangential detail? I wasn't aware of that aside, but probably because it's 'only' a coincidence that'll be why it wasn't included.

I was wondering if they'd mention the rumours/allegations/suggestions of possible necrophilia. Even as an aside it wasn't mentioned.

I can see what you mean about it maybe 'going round in circles' as it did spend a lot of time establishing just how big a star he was etc, somewhat making the same points a few too many times, although I wasn't too bothered by that when watching it - but I can see what you mean.

Administrator

England
    Perhaps they didn't include the Sutcliffe angle as it'd go fairly off-topic and would be hard to slot in without going into a whole bunch of other tangential detail? I wasn't aware of that aside, but probably because it's 'only' a coincidence that'll be why it wasn't included.

I was wondering if they'd mention the rumours/allegations/suggestions of possible necrophilia. Even as an aside it wasn't mentioned.

I can see what you mean about it maybe 'going round in circles' as it did spend a lot of time establishing just how big a star he was etc, somewhat making the same points a few too many times, although I wasn't too bothered by that when watching it - but I can see what you mean.
    Netflix Space X documentary next...
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I think the Saville doc came off as relatively poor because there isn't an awful lot to go on other than he was a creepy individual who increasingly hid his creepiness less and less. But actual proof, in support of what people have said about him, is pretty thin on the ground it has to be said. There's tons of allegations against Saville and there's loads of people who say he was a creepy bugger, but that's not the same thing as bone fide evidence and proof. Into the bargain, Saville was dead before any real kind of investigation happened into his activities. While it was well put together, it also came off as a bit anaemic.

The most interesting thing about that Saville documentary was the influence he had over the Royal family and how hard Thatcher lobbied for his Knighthood.

In contrast, I'm watching the Netflix doc about the Yorkshire Ripper and it's far more interesting because there was an actual criminal investigation going on while he was carrying out his particular deeds in the 70's and 80's. It's a much fuller documentary as a result and far more...satisfying...if that's the word to be used.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I think the Saville doc came off as relatively poor because there isn't an awful lot to go on other than he was a creepy individual who increasingly hid his creepiness less and less. But actual proof, in support of what people have said about him, is pretty thin on the ground it has to be said. There's tons of allegations against Saville and there's loads of people who say he was a creepy bugger, but that's not the same thing as bone fide evidence and proof. Into the bargain, Saville was dead before any real kind of investigation happened into his activities. While it was well put together, it also came off as a bit anaemic.

The most interesting thing about that Saville documentary was the influence he had over the Royal family and how hard Thatcher lobbied for his Knighthood.

In contrast, I'm watching the Netflix doc about the Yorkshire Ripper and it's far more interesting because there was an actual criminal investigation going on while he was carrying out his particular deeds in the 70's and 80's. It's a much fuller documentary as a result and far more...satisfying...if that's the word to be used.
    I suppose that's inherently part of the problem with that kind of a case - sexual abuse, violence etc - versus, say, The Yorkshire Ripper, where you have bodies and all sorts of potential evidence left behind (blood, semen, footprints, tyre prints, potential witnesses, maybe a phone call, a piece of clothing/fibres etc etc etc). Plus, there's the added mystery aspect as the serial killer is unknown until they're caught.

There's inherently a massive difficulty with sex abuse cases because it so often comes down to very little physical evidence (unless, say, the victim goes directly to the authorities and is properly dealt with, examined, and has their clothes/belongings taken in for various tests). It's even worse in cases of historical abuse, because it's so many years or even decades later and then it becomes quite impossible to have anything more to go on than testimony.

In the Savile case, what was found was a lot of correlation between the statements made, so there was a clear pattern of behaviour. Plus, there was the sheer volume of allegations and statements made with several hundred lines of inquiry pursued. It's not a case of one-on-one, or two-on-one. But of course, sexual abusers aren't necessarily going to leave behind a nice tidy package of evidence, like a video or photographic record of the act (although this does of course happen in various cases, moreso now than back in Savile's day that's for sure). Savile groping someone, for instance, you're only going to come away with testimony unless someone else saw it to corroborate the story or it was somehow recorded on video etc.

That's always going to be the problem with that sort of a case, or many cases of sexual abuse, because physical evidence can be very hard to obtain and then it does just come down to things like statements, allegations, and trying to draw points of connection (e.g. across multiple statements, or establishing the accused's whereabouts at the time of the alleged crime etc).

The two cases are very different. The Savile doc is fascinating from a 'group psychology' standpoint, the way the public at large thought about Savile, how Savile worked with his image and reputation, the way he targeted specific groups of people who were vulnerable and/or unlikely to be listened to (e.g. the girls at Duncroft), the way he wedged himself firmly within the establishment, the way he tackled rumours about himself, the way society operated at the time and so on. It wasn't until, as they say in the doc, with websites like Friends Reuinited that people were able to talk more easily and openly with people who had similar experiences. Before that so many thought they were the only one.

Back to that Netflix Yorkshire Ripper doc - yes, it was very well made. Fascinating, too, to see just how ineffective some of the policing procedures were at the time, not to mention the inherent biases and discrimination that actually aided the Ripper's crimes (e.g. dismissing victims as "prostitutes" and "bad mothers" and so on). Eventually there was no denying that there was a serious problem on their hands, but even still, so many failiings. Then again, such failings are learned from by others who then help improve detection techniques.

Have you see the Netflix doc about The Times Square Killer? That was quite well done. Very gruesome stuff, too.

I'll be interested to see the upcoming Conversations with a Serial Killer about John Wayne Gacy (comes out in about a week IIRC).