Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate the last series you've seen

Administrator

England
    BTW - Fun fact: Savile was interviewed as part of the Yorkshire Ripper murders...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Back to that Netflix Yorkshire Ripper doc - yes, it was very well made. Fascinating, too, to see just how ineffective some of the policing procedures were at the time, not to mention the inherent biases and discrimination that actually aided the Ripper's crimes (e.g. dismissing victims as "prostitutes" and "bad mothers" and so on). Eventually there was no denying that there was a serious problem on their hands, but even still, so many failiings. Then again, such failings are learned from by others who then help improve detection techniques.
    Actually felt that the West Yorkshire Police got a bit of a bad rap in the program. While there were some missteps involved and some questionable procedure for sure, it was absolutely a difficult case to pursue and Sutcliffe proved to be quite the shrewd character. In addition, the "coppering" was done using now woefully outdated methods, like rolodexing and knocking on doors...and hoaxers made everything 100 times harder than it should have been. In particular, "Wearside Jack" who, remarkably, had the same rare blood group as Sutcliffe.

Plus, he WAS targeting prostitutes, even if it wasn't exclusively. He was eventually caught with a prostitute Olivia Reivers, who he was most likely going to kill that night. So I think that angle in the doc which damned the police for following up on that was a little bit unfair.

Have you see the Netflix doc about The Times Square Killer? That was quite well done. Very gruesome stuff, too.
    That's the Torso Murder weirdo right? No, I haven't seen that. It's probably popped up in my feed, so I'll have a check. I'm on a bit of serial killer umph at the mo, but I've read all of this stuff long before. An old friend of mine did criminal psychology in uni in the 90's and lent me all her study material. I suppose we all have a morbid fascination with these types.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Great Britain
    I grew up about 10 miles away from where Peter Sutcliffe Lived, I do remember going to pick my Mum up with my Dad as a Kid when she worked evenings in the height of his killing, scary time knowing a killer was operating near where you Live, did watch the Netflix documentary and It did bring back lots of memory's of that time.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Actually felt that the West Yorkshire Police got a bit of a bad rap in the program. While there were some missteps involved and some questionable procedure for sure, it was absolutely a difficult case to pursue and Sutcliffe proved to be quite the shrewd character. In addition, the "coppering" was done using now woefully outdated methods, like rolodexing and knocking on doors...and hoaxers made everything 100 times harder than it should have been. In particular, "Wearside Jack" who, remarkably, had the same rare blood group as Sutcliffe.

Plus, he WAS targeting prostitutes, even if it wasn't exclusively. He was eventually caught with a prostitute Olivia Reivers, who he was most likely going to kill that night. So I think that angle in the doc which damned the police for following up on that was a little bit unfair.

That's the Torso Murder weirdo right? No, I haven't seen that. It's probably popped up in my feed, so I'll have a check. I'm on a bit of serial killer umph at the mo, but I've read all of this stuff long before. An old friend of mine did criminal psychology in uni in the 90's and lent me all her study material. I suppose we all have a morbid fascination with these types.
    1) Aye, fair point, although it is interesting to see the comparison between policing then and now ... mind you, policing still leaves plenty to be desired sometimes ... but at least the techniques have improved greatly.

2) I suppose part of the angle was that there was an element of thinking within the police (and even society at large) that victims found to be prostitutes (to whatever degree) were somehow 'lesser' than good, clean 'normal folk'.

3) Yep - the Torso Murders. Quite gruesome. Set against the sleazy backdrop of 1980s Time Square, which was a right pit of vice at the time in the last few years before Mickey Mouse riding a wave of eminent domain with Rudy Giuliani as co-pilot swept in and washed away the scum and jizzed advertising everywhere like the grand finale of a bukkake festival.

4) Yeah, there is a dark and morbid fascination with this sort of stuff. I suppose one of the bizarre aspects of intrigue is the 'absolute freedom of the apex predator', this ghoulish beast inside a normal-looking person walking among ordinary folk, how close some have come to death, how driven by their own perversion and madness and diseased minds these people were. There's also the fascinating psychology behind it all, from the obvious stuff with the killers, to the smaller stuff - such as how one of Ted Bundy's victims, IIRC (or maybe it was Edmund Kemper - but I think Bundy), was in his car and clearly in huge trouble and their mind switched to just being super worried about a test they were going to miss at school and how they'd be in trouble ... dark, troubling, fascinating...

Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    I grew up about 10 miles away from where Peter Sutcliffe Lived, I do remember going to pick my Mum up with my Dad as a Kid when she worked evenings in the height of his killing, scary time knowing a killer was operating near where you Live, did watch the Netflix documentary and It did bring back lots of memory's of that time.
    Crikey!

Ireland
    1) Aye, fair point, although it is interesting to see the comparison between policing then and now ... mind you, policing still leaves plenty to be desired sometimes ... but at least the techniques have improved greatly.

2) I suppose part of the angle was that there was an element of thinking within the police (and even society at large) that victims found to be prostitutes (to whatever degree) were somehow 'lesser' than good, clean 'normal folk'.

3) Yep - the Torso Murders. Quite gruesome. Set against the sleazy backdrop of 1980s Time Square, which was a right pit of vice at the time in the last few years before Mickey Mouse riding a wave of eminent domain with Rudy Giuliani as co-pilot swept in and washed away the scum and jizzed advertising everywhere like the grand finale of a bukkake festival.

4) Yeah, there is a dark and morbid fascination with this sort of stuff. I suppose one of the bizarre aspects of intrigue is the 'absolute freedom of the apex predator', this ghoulish beast inside a normal-looking person walking among ordinary folk, how close some have come to death, how driven by their own perversion and madness and diseased minds these people were. There's also the fascinating psychology behind it all, from the obvious stuff with the killers, to the smaller stuff - such as how one of Ted Bundy's victims, IIRC (or maybe it was Edmund Kemper - but I think Bundy), was in his car and clearly in huge trouble and their mind switched to just being super worried about a test they were going to miss at school and how they'd be in trouble ... dark, troubling, fascinating...
    1. Policing is never easy, even in straightforward cases, and the Yorkshire Ripper tied up the police in knots for ages. He was no fool and when you're dealing with someone like that it can be extremely hard to nail them down. What is surprising in a lot of these cases is that these killers are often caught through their own carelessness or by chance. Dennis Nilsen successfully evaded any policing into his crimes for ages and was only caught because a Dyno Rod guy found human remains in his drain. Dahmer was caught because one of his intended victims boxed him in the face and ran out the door. Gacy was collared because he got careless too. All too often these serial killers get put away because they just slip up in the end.

2. It's certainly the case that the West Yorkshire Police used the terms "respectable" and "innocent" when Sutcliffe started to broaden his target list to non prostitutes. But, let's be honest here, prostitution is not respectable and has never been seen as such. Nor should it IMO. Although I don't think the police treated the crimes as anything less than murder, otherwise there wouldn't have been an investigation in the first place. I find that damning the police for not sanitising their language to be a bit shrill. Plus, I think the police using those types of words in their statements were probably trying to troll Sutcliffe, for want of a better word, in an effort to get him to either turn himself in or slip up. Could they have done better? Probably. But we're talking about the 1970's here and language was used quite differently back then.

3. We started looking at that Torso Murders doc last night. Grim stuff. Yeah, Times Square and 42nd Street were dens of inequity alright. But mostly only for the people who went looking for that stuff. Most people could walk down 42nd like it was any other. These days it's just another faceless area of NYC really. When I first went there in the 90's, it was after it had been cleaned up, and most New Yorkers that I knew were quite disappointed at what it had turned into. They call it Disney Land. It looked and felt nothing like the movie depiction that I grew up with...and not a grindhouse to be found.

4. Apex predators or just sad human beings whose psychology has become messed up for whatever reason. I find that most of these serial killers are just pathetic, lonely, people who were usually never able to express themselves properly when they were younger or grew up in unusual circumstances. In the cases of Dahmer or Nilsen, gay men who when faced with the societal attitudes of the times meant they grew up with a warped sense of themselves, for instance. Of course, there are numerous "types" of serial killer and they kill for a variety of reasons. But psychological damage is always the case somewhere along the line. One wonders how much outside forces are responsible for shaping a lot of these people's minds and how much comes solely from themselves.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Have you see the Netflix doc about The Times Square Killer? That was quite well done. Very gruesome stuff, too.
    A documentary about Richard Cottingham by Richard Cunningham (Ron Howard)...

Just watched it... Interesting...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Night Stalker: The Hunt For a Serial Killer (Netflix) - Very good/interesting!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Night Stalker: The Hunt For a Serial Killer (Netflix) - Very good/interesting!
    Another very good doc! I wasn't all that familiar with the Night Stalker, so it was quite the rollercoaster. How he was captured was pretty crazy.

Speaking of...

Conversations with a Serial Killer: The John Wayne Gacy Tapes
    Just came up on Netflix yesterday and I blasted all three episodes. It's from Joe Berlinger (who did The Ted Bundy Tapes), so you know it's going to be well put together. Again, very good. If you're into these kind of docs then it's a must-see.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 21-Apr-2022 at 12:37 PM.

Administrator

England
    Another very good doc! I wasn't all that familiar with the Night Stalker, so it was quite the rollercoaster. How he was captured was pretty crazy.
    A situations like the pair of detectives waiting at the dentists for Ramirez's return, being cancelled to save money and replaced with an alarm button? And then the FIRST day the detectives aren't there Ramirez comes in, and the button doesn't work? WOW!

By sheer coincidence.. So I went thru this entire documentary yesterday morning, before going up to London in the afternoon. In the evening I went on a Jack the Ripper tour. The guy running it mentioned at one point, the case that got him into serial killers and the like was... "The Night Stalker"

Speaking of...

Conversations with a Serial Killer: The John Wayne Gacy Tapes
    Just came up on Netflix yesterday and I blasted all three episodes. It's from Joe Berlinger (who did The Ted Bundy Tapes), so you know it's going to be well put together. Again, very good. If you're into these kind of docs then it's a must-see.
    Sheesh! I'll add that to the list too
    -Carl Sagan

Great Britain
    Barry Sky Comedy

Our anti hero of this black comedy series is Barry played by Bill Hader who also created, wrote and Directed both seasons, Barry is an Ex-Marine who now is a depressed low level Hitman who handler Monroe Fuches who is played by the fantastic Stephen Root, get a hit job for him from the Chechens Mafia in Los Angels, after following his target to a small theatre where young Actors train to become movie stars and are taught by Gene Cousineau (Henry Winkler) he is drawn into the world of Acting and finds a love interest in Sally (Sarah Goldberg), but of cause his Hitman world wont let him get away from the business so easily.

I watched both series over a couple of nights, its easy to do due to each season having only 8 episodes and each being 30 minutes long and its really good, the first season does spend a bit of time getting going and finding its feet, the second series is a lot better, season three is starting this week on Sky too.

So it's a funny, violent, black comedy and is well worth a watch if you can get through the few episodes of the first series.

Season one 7/10, season two 8.5/10 also never Bum-Rush
    Last edited by paranoid101; 22-Apr-2022 at 04:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Administrator

England
    The Ripper (Netflix) - Very interesting documentary on the 1970s-80s serial killer. Interesting to see how the police scuppered their own investigation. 8/10
    -Carl Sagan

Great Britain
    Arcane Netflix

I went into this show blind, I know its based on the League of Legends game, of which I know nothing about, but thankfully knowing nothing about the game doesn't matter because this Anime series is one of the best things I've watched all year.

It's set in a steampunk world which is trying to put science and magic together and were the upper class look down at those that live in the lower parts of the city, the story is about two sister living in the lower city trying to make a living and survive in this world and they end up I think becoming characters in the game, so it's their back story.

This series is amazing the voice acting, the animation, special effects, story is just brilliant, its just a wonderful series, don't miss it if you can help it.

10/10

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I think the Saville doc came off as relatively poor because there isn't an awful lot to go on other than he was a creepy individual who increasingly hid his creepiness less and less. But actual proof, in support of what people have said about him, is pretty thin on the ground it has to be said. There's tons of allegations against Saville and there's loads of people who say he was a creepy bugger, but that's not the same thing as bone fide evidence and proof. Into the bargain, Saville was dead before any real kind of investigation happened into his activities. While it was well put together, it also came off as a bit anaemic.

The most interesting thing about that Saville documentary was the influence he had over the Royal family and how hard Thatcher lobbied for his Knighthood.
    I thought it was very well done. First part was more about establishing just how gigantic he was as a celebrity, the power base he grew around him, his influence - with a simmering of the darkness bubbling in the background - and then the second part was about the tipping point and the exposure of who he really was.

I found the various clips of Savile to be particularly fascinating now in the context of knowing what he was getting up to. Seeing how he basically 'ran towards' accusations of being a creepy old perv with a joke and a wink, as if to disarm the notion (i.e. it would have looked more suspicious if he'd denied and ran away from it, so in viewers' eyes at the time it'd appear to be less likely). Seeing his warped psychology at work in those clips was quite something, and it's amazing just how much more he leaned into the creepy old perv persona as he got into his later years, as if he was challenging everyone to see him for what he really was.
    This YouTube podcast was VERY interesting! Giving a very insightful and more personal account of Saville IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL6nD_7aQlc
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    The Movies That Made Us: Season 3 (Netflix)
    A series going through the making of some famous cult films. Pretty enjoyable stuff!

Halloween
    Friday the 13th <-- Tom Savini pops up in this one
    A Nightmare on Elm Street
    Robocop
    Aliens
    Coming to America
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    Elf
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    The Last Dance (Netflix) - Ten part series on Michael Jordan and The Chicago Bulls basketball team.

I know very little about basketball, but that didn't stop me from enjoying this series...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Z9JtNcCWY
    -Carl Sagan