Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate the last series you've seen

Great Britain

Rate the last series you've seen

Reacher Amazon Prime

Jack Reacher done right, way better then the Cruise movies.

8/10

Administrator

England
    LOL! My other half wants to watch it now... So going through it again
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I've come late to it as a series, but I've just started the fourth season/series of Peaky Blinders.

I was aware of its glowing reputation, and a couple of friends raved about it, but I just missed the boat on it and there was always various other things to watch. Anyway, after having fallen out of love with Designated Survivor (first season was excellent, but I only managed a mere six episodes of the second season as the quality of the writing and showrunning just fell through the fucking floor), I saw all five series of Peaky Blinders was on Netflix and decided to give it a spin.

I wasn't especially taken in the first few episodes of series 1, but it did enough to keep me watching as I could see the quality of the cast and the writing (by Steven Knight - who also wrote the movies Eastern Promises and Locke, both of which were excellent) - I just needed a bit of time to get into it as a show, which I felt more by the end of series 1 and certainly found in series 2, which is where I got hooked by it. I yomped through series 3 and now I've just got going on series 4. Loving it!

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I've come late to it as a series, but I've just started the fourth season/series of Peaky Blinders.

I was aware of its glowing reputation, and a couple of friends raved about it, but I just missed the boat on it and there was always various other things to watch. Anyway, after having fallen out of love with Designated Survivor (first season was excellent, but I only managed a mere six episodes of the second season as the quality of the writing and showrunning just fell through the fucking floor), I saw all five series of Peaky Blinders was on Netflix and decided to give it a spin.

I wasn't especially taken in the first few episodes of series 1, but it did enough to keep me watching as I could see the quality of the cast and the writing (by Steven Knight - who also wrote the movies Eastern Promises and Locke, both of which were excellent) - I just needed a bit of time to get into it as a show, which I felt more by the end of series 1 and certainly found in series 2, which is where I got hooked by it. I yomped through series 3 and now I've just got going on series 4. Loving it!
    Another one on my ever increasing list of series to watch...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Another one on my ever increasing list of series to watch...
    Definitely worthwhile. I'm really enjoying it. Better late than never, eh?

Great Britain
    I've been watching a few Korean series on Netflix of late, here's a couple I've finished.

My Name

This was an alight police vs mobsters series, Young girls mobster father is Killed and she is told he was killed by a corrupt cop, So she is trained in fighting by the main Leader of the mobster and Is told to infiltrate the Police to find out who did it.

This was ok, some nice fight scenes and the usual twists and betrayals that go into these type of series.

5/10

The Silent Sea

As earth in the near future begins to run out of fresh water a research base is built on the Moon as they find the Moon has water at its core, later all communication is lost to the Moon base, a team is sent up to collect the Moons water samples and find out what has happened, but all is not as it seems.

This series was good even though it ripped off a plot line from Aliens, its got the father from Train to Busan in it as well as the actress from Jupiter's ascending and Cloud Atlas, looks great and well acted.

7/10

Great Britain
    Peacemaker

James Gunn's follow up TV series from The Suicide Squad movie, If you liked the movie you will love the series, we follow John Cena's Peacemaker who's in the hospital with injures he received from the film, he then has to join a new crew being run by Amanda Waller to be the killer of the team that are looking into why some rich and powerful people are acting strange and might be a danger to the world.

This series is funny, gory, daft, sad, touching, sweet and has lots of action. it's brilliantly acted has a fantastic soundtrack.

9/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHXq62VCaCM
    Last edited by paranoid101; 26-Feb-2022 at 07:13 PM. Reason: spelling

Super Moderator

UK
    The Boys presents: Diabolical
    Amazon Prime. 8 episodes - all animated shorts of about 12 minutes.

The first four a rock solid, the back four are a bit more of a mixed bag and mileage will vary, but there was only one or two that didn't particularly hit for me. Well worth checking out for fans of The Boys.

Great Britain
    The Boys presents: Diabolical

Was pretty good, enjoyed the different animation styles, it was nice to see the comic book versions of Billy Butcher and Wee Hughie in episode 3, also I think episode 8 had the most tie in to the TV series showing Homelanders Childhood in flashbacks.

7/10

Ireland
    Reacher

I've never read any of the Lee Child books and never saw any of the Cruise films, so this was my first foray into the world of Jack Reacher, or Reacher as everyone calls him (even his mum, which would result in a number of "why does my mum hate me" kiddie crying fits no doubt).

It's an OK(ish) police procedural who's main gimmick is Jack Reacher himself, and while the actual investigative part of the show is fine with a serviceable plot, it's the central character that is its main problem. Jack Reacher cannot fly, he hasn't got super speed, he hasn't got X-Ray vision. But he's no less a superhero, with a thoroughly ridiculous and unrealistic set of skills and talent that allows him to solve any problem, whether it's intellectual or physical. Reacher is the World's Greatest Detective minus the cape and Batman should hang his head in shame.

Reacher is the 6ft 5, built like a brick shithouse, fantasy that every 90lb weakling wished they were. He's very tall, very strong, has all the right answers and all the right moves. He does no wrong and stands up for everything that's "right", who's only drawback is seems to be slightly autistic oddities here and there.

He's, literally, a character that a 10 year old boy would come up with.

While Jack Reacher is the show's biggest weakness, the support is generally fine. His love interest, Roscoe Conklin (not a bloke), is ok, even though she initially has some tropey elements of Strong Female Character oozing out of her and I could never once believe in their "relationship". And Oscar Finlay, the tight ass police captain Reacher has to work with on the case, is well played and is probably the best character in the show. The baddies are very bad, indeed, are generally performed in an adequate, though obvious, fashion with no surprises at all and everything plays out in a fairly perfunctory manner.

All in all 'Reacher' is fine, I guess, if completely unremarkable in any of its aspects and doesn't outstay its welcome due to being just 8 episodes long. Not sure if I'll be that bothered with an S02 if and when one is made.

My biggest takeaway from the show was, if Jack Reacher is a 6ft 5 super soldier giant, how the hell did the diminutive 3ft 4 Tom Cruise get the job for the movies?

5/10
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    I suppose it's fair to say that Reacher is a bit of a 'Gary Sue'. He is a bit of a power fantasy, always quite capable in certain situations. It is enjoyable to see him figure out how to deal with certain problems, or piecing things together in ways I could never do, but at the same time it is fair to say that he wasn't challenged enough throughout.

I'm similarly unfamiliar with the books. However, considering his size and intelligence, it at least makes sense that he's not overly challenged (i.e. not the circa 110lb actresses blitzing the 200+lb stunt men who are a foot taller than them in, say, Birds of Prey) ... but then again, that also means there's little challenge out there waiting for Reacher ... so where is the tension or the stakes or the risk?

I enjoyed it, but wasn't bowled over by it either. I would like to see a second season, but with some improvements and more oomph.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Reacher

I've never read any of the Lee Child books and never saw any of the Cruise films, so this was my first foray into the world of Jack Reacher, or Reacher as everyone calls him (even his mum, which would result in a number of "why does my mum hate me" kiddie crying fits no doubt).

It's an OK(ish) police procedural who's main gimmick is Jack Reacher himself, and while the actual investigative part of the show is fine with a serviceable plot, it's the central character that is its main problem. Jack Reacher cannot fly, he hasn't got super speed, he hasn't got X-Ray vision. But he's no less a superhero, with a thoroughly ridiculous and unrealistic set of skills and talent that allows him to solve any problem, whether it's intellectual or physical. Reacher is the World's Greatest Detective minus the cape and Batman should hang his head in shame.

Reacher is the 6ft 5, built like a brick shithouse, fantasy that every 90lb weakling wished they were. He's very tall, very strong, has all the right answers and all the right moves. He does no wrong and stands up for everything that's "right", who's only drawback is seems to be slightly autistic oddities here and there.

He's, literally, a character that a 10 year old boy would come up with.

While Jack Reacher is the show's biggest weakness, the support is generally fine. His love interest, Roscoe Conklin (not a bloke), is ok, even though she initially has some tropey elements of Strong Female Character oozing out of her and I could never once believe in their "relationship". And Oscar Finlay, the tight ass police captain Reacher has to work with on the case, is well played and is probably the best character in the show. The baddies are very bad, indeed, are generally performed in an adequate, though obvious, fashion with no surprises at all and everything plays out in a fairly perfunctory manner.

All in all 'Reacher' is fine, I guess, if completely unremarkable in any of its aspects and doesn't outstay its welcome due to being just 8 episodes long. Not sure if I'll be that bothered with an S02 if and when one is made.

My biggest takeaway from the show was, if Jack Reacher is a 6ft 5 super soldier giant, how the hell did the diminutive 3ft 4 Tom Cruise get the job for the movies?

5/10
    Wow! That seems harsh? His backstory is explained as the books goes on. Not only does it become clear that size/build wise he is a freak of nature, but he has almost a photographic memory and honed skilled from years in the MPs.

I thought it was a good mix of action with good characters and dialog in there too
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Wow! That seems harsh? His backstory is explained as the books goes on. Not only does it become clear that size/build wise he is a freak of nature, but he has almost a photographic memory and honed skilled from years in the MPs.

I thought it was a good mix of action with good characters and dialog in there too
    They must be angling to do multiple seasons to develop the character across. Season 2 has already been ordered, but I could have used a little bit more insight into his past over the course of this season.

I must say, I am a sucker for characters who have uncanny abilities to identify revealing pieces of information from details unseen by most folks.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    They must be angling to do multiple seasons to develop the character across. Season 2 has already been ordered, but I could have used a little bit more insight into his past over the course of this season.

I must say, I am a sucker for characters who have uncanny abilities to identify revealing pieces of information from details unseen by most folks.
    I've gone through about 25 of the books and IMHO they range from enjoyable with a couple of stand out very very good ones. There was even one if I recall correctly that jumped back to that period where he had his own MP team, and that was a good one. So there's plenty of good material to run with
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland

I wouldn't class it as harsh at all. Jack Reacher is a ridiculous character in a serviceable plot. He's a silly super soldier with unbelievable skills and you never once sense that he might ever be in any danger of failure at any point. He's one twist away from being a parody.

Reacher, the TV series, is airport fiction. It's something that you can rattle off in a short sitting, but it's nothing to write home about or even recommend.

It's the epitome of "OK", with a very poor and juvenile central character. I'd say if you've bugger all else to watch, have a look. But other than that... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....