Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isle of the Dead: Walking Dead Spin-Off

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    I'll be lucky if I even watch the rest of the main show, much less any of the spin offs or movies (if they ever actually do something besides talk about making them). I have the bonus episodes from last season and this season so far recorded, but I haven't bothered to watch them. I'd like to see how it plays out, but my give a damn level is honestly almost down to zero.
    The bonus episodes for season 10 were kind of like trials to see how they could film the show under Covid conditions, so don't expect much (one episode is particularly bad), however there is good material in there ... I'd say 3 out of 6 were solid episodes.

Season 11 has been quite good thus far, and a step or two back up from season 10, which was a bit rocky (the first half of season 10 was too slow, but the second half really kicked things back into gear).

Rising

United States
    TWD characters making their way over to Europe? Ugh.

AMC has already made so many retarded decisions with TWD, and they just keep on coming up with more and more convoluted, ridiculous, and implausible bullshit as they go.
    Yep, it's getting out of hand. It would not surprise me at this point if the Rick movie takes place in space. Yes, that's where he ended up, that's why no one could find him!

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    The bonus episodes for season 10 were kind of like trials to see how they could film the show under Covid conditions, so don't expect much (one episode is particularly bad), however there is good material in there ... I'd say 3 out of 6 were solid episodes.

Season 11 has been quite good thus far, and a step or two back up from season 10, which was a bit rocky (the first half of season 10 was too slow, but the second half really kicked things back into gear).
    I'm sure I'll get around to watching it, but I have my doubts about it being good enough to be worth the time. I honestly don't know whether to cringe or laugh when I see snippets of the new group wearing their white storm trooper outfits.

I know the show is fiction, but I sure miss the first several seasons where they at least tried to make it somewhat believable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Yep, it's getting out of hand. It would not surprise me at this point if the Rick movie takes place in space. Yes, that's where he ended up, that's why no one could find him!
    Hey, if Jason can go to Manhattan (AKA Vancouver) and then space, I don't see why the characters from TWD can't do it.

Super Moderator

UK
    I honestly don't know whether to cringe or laugh when I see snippets of the new group wearing their white storm trooper outfits.
    It works pretty well on the show, especially Mercer.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    It works pretty well on the show, especially Mercer.
    Yeah, hated the story in the comics, but I’m loving it on the show. Mercer is such a better character, they got the right actor!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Knight View Post
    Yeah, hated the story in the comics, but I’m loving it on the show. Mercer is such a better character, they got the right actor!
    I'm hoping the final eight episodes can land this puppy right. Fingers sooooo crossed.

Ireland
    I've zero faith that the show will end in anything but an extremely disappointing whimper.

The reality is that it's been limping along on broken legs since Lincoln buggered off and it never really recovered from that. The heart of the show died when Karl "opted out" and Rick took a chopper ride out of the show.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I've zero faith that the show will end in anything but an extremely disappointing whimper.

The reality is that it's been limping along on broken legs since Lincoln buggered off and it never really recovered from that. The heart of the show died when Karl "opted out" and Rick took a chopper ride out of the show.
    Agreed.

And In my opinion, the show started limping in season 6, and has pretty much much been in a wheelchair since season 8. If I remember right, the first episode of season 8 almost made me stop watching.

No offense meant to anyone that might be stuck in a wheelchair.
    Last edited by beat_truck; 02-May-2022 at 01:21 AM. Reason: stupid internet

United States
    Agreed.

And In my opinion, the show started limping in season 6, and has pretty much much been in a wheelchair since season 8. If I remember right, the first episode of season 8 almost made me stop watching.

No offense meant to anyone that might be stuck in a wheelchair.
    I'm about same place as you. Seasons 1-5 were amazing tv. Damn I miss Hershel's farm, Woodbury and the Prison. The mood was really good and it felt like the end of the world. The Walker threat was real and scary imo. Season 6 started a slide. The Saviours and Negan were just too farfetched for me. Still some good tv left but it started to feel awkward. Killing off Carl and then Rick leaving just demoralized me. It erased the payoff at the quarry when Rick found his family and most importantly his son, Carl. I was on board to follow their journey.

Regardless, my hopes arent too high on faith regarding this show. Damn thing was magical at one point.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    I'm about same place as you. Seasons 1-5 were amazing tv. Damn I miss Hershel's farm, Woodbury and the Prison. The mood was really good and it felt like the end of the world. The Walker threat was real and scary imo. Season 6 started a slide. The Saviours and Negan were just too farfetched for me. Still some good tv left but it started to feel awkward. Killing off Carl and then Rick leaving just demoralized me. It erased the payoff at the quarry when Rick found his family and most importantly his son, Carl. I was on board to follow their journey.

Regardless, my hopes arent too high on faith regarding this show. Damn thing was magical at one point.
    I actually liked many of the Negan and The Saviors episodes, though it is indeed where the show started to indulge more into the realm of exaggeration and too much suspension of disbelief. For example, Negan became just too exaggeratedly cocky, and for some weird reason his antagonists also would not take advantage of it to snuff him out of the picture. And this trend got out of hand after Rick was written off of the show.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by facestabber View Post
    Killing off Carl and then Rick leaving just demoralized me. It erased the payoff at the quarry when Rick found his family and most importantly his son, Carl. I was on board to follow their journey.
    Not only was it handled very poorly behind the scenes, but I didn't really see a huge reason for it to happen. I get that it was a shock moment that would help trigger a shift in positions for both Rick and Negan to help resolve the war a bit more, but frankly they'd somewhat written themselves into a corner with some of the All Out War arc anyway and killing Carl wasn't the way to go about trying to help shift that.

Indeed, the backbone of the comics is a simple thing: a father shepherding his son through to adulthood during a zombie apocalypse. Simple as that.

In the comics, mind you, Judith was killed off almost immediately, so they were able to shift to her for some of the 'father of the ZA' stuff, although it's like shifting into a lower gear after you've built up a head of steam with Carl, you know?

Then it's understandable why Lincoln left - away from family for so much of the year for so many years in a row - thanks to having to shoot 16 friggin episodes a year (there's no excuse for any episode order longer than 10 these days, IMHO). Indeed, I think that has been a factor in a lot of cast members moving on - they've been on the show for so long and spend so much of their time working on it that they don't have enough time for family and/or other career opportunities that come knocking at their door because of their popularity on the show. Fewer episodes would allow for a better work/life balance for all involved and provide windows of time to pursue other options and scratch that particular itch. It'd also mean no room for filler.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    I actually liked many of the Negan and The Saviors episodes, though it is indeed where the show started to indulge more into the realm of exaggeration and too much suspension of disbelief. For example, Negan became just too exaggeratedly cocky, and for some weird reason his antagonists also would not take advantage of it to snuff him out of the picture. And this trend got out of hand after Rick was written off of the show.
    Gimple lost his way with the show. Focusing on such a small time frame for several seasons (Maggie's first trimester) was the biggest mistake overall because it was a foundational mistake and one that continually painted them into a corner because you either couldn't do things as there wouldn't be enough time to let it happen, or you had to rush things because you didn't have enough time.

Negan was too pantomime-like in seasons 7 and 8, even though he was often quite enjoyable to watch. However, we've seen much more depth and range of character out of him under Kang's leadership, much like with Daryl, who'd been reduced to a grunting animal in Gimple's later years going off half-cocked (e.g. that stupid plan to try and end the war early - a handful of people making a decision that affects everyone - the arrogance of that just didn't work for those characters that far into the ZA).

Seasons 7 and 8 is where the real problems lie in the show's run, however there are also some of the show's all-time greatest episodes littered about in there, too. There were just some fundamental mistakes made with the structuring of the show - ultimately, one of the biggest issues, which wasn't addressed with season 8, was that so little time was passing for the characters on-screen, but weeks/months/years were passing for the viewer. You've basically got three whole seasons (plus some of season five, in fact) taking place over Maggie's first trimester. For we the viewer it was 3+ years!!! That was just stupid. Even "24" had big time jumps between seasons.

Fortunately Season 9 brought time jumps back in, so it allowed for advancement in the story between episodes ... however, that ironically presents another problem: what on earth has been keeping Rick from getting back to his family for all these years?! That's a huge problem that needs answering - and answering well.