Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Star Trek Strange New Worlds (TV Series)

Ireland
    It's funny. If the original Star Trek appeared out of nowhere today, the "anti woke" crusaders would be melting down into the ground harder than Chernobyl.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Dude, I'm beginning to worry about you. You see some supposed "wokeness" everywhere. And in Star Trek? Have you even seen TOS? First interracial kiss? Commie-economics? Obvious marxist fables? Geez, man. This is getting out of hand.
    Considerable thought and effort went into putting that footage into that episode... So again... (1) People actually decided anti-Biden protests is symbolic of an apocalypse, (2) People decided this was a good thing to put in the pilot episode of a new TV show, and decided that footage of atomic bombs or cities on fire wasn't more befitting for an apocalypse montage.

So, if you believe when showing a montage representing an apocalypse on earth, that choosing to use footage of people basically holding anti-biden flags is a sensible, fair and productive representation of that horror, fair enough. But for me it's just representative of some of the questionable agendas at play at the moment.

Yep, it's only 2-3 seconds of footage... But yet more needless frog boiling...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Considerable thought and effort went into putting that footage into that episode... So again... (1) People actually decided anti-Biden protests is symbolic of an apocalypse, (2) People decided this was a good thing to put in the pilot episode of a new TV show, and decided that footage of atomic bombs or cities on fire wasn't more befitting for an apocalypse montage.

So, if you believe when showing a montage representing an apocalypse on earth, that choosing to use footage of people basically holding anti-biden flags is a sensible, fair and productive representation of that horror, fair enough. But for me it's just representative of some of the questionable agendas at play at the moment.

Yep, it's only 2-3 seconds of footage... But yet more needless frog boiling...
    Uhm, no. You're just reading way too much into this. In fact, the footage itself is completely in line with Star Trek, and specifically how modern Star Trek interprets modern events. But this Woke-boogie-man you keep seeing everywhere... If you think this feels "out of character" for Star Trek, then you must not have been very aware of what Star Trek was to begin with.

Administrator

England
    Uhm, no. You're just reading way too much into this. In fact, the footage itself is completely in line with Star Trek, and specifically how modern Star Trek interprets modern events. But this Woke-boogie-man you keep seeing everywhere... If you think this feels "out of character" for Star Trek, then you must not have been very aware of what Star Trek was to begin with.
    We'll have to agree to disagree then. ie: You're suggesting people waving anti-Biden placards is a good choice to represent the horror/cause of an apocalypse. I'd suggest that's a very niche and specific choice (for ulterior motives) because there's obviously a plethora of more appropriate and clearly less partisan footage such as cities on fire or mass riots and looting that clearly would have been more befitting.

But... Horses... Courses...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    We'll have to agree to disagree then. ie: You're suggesting people waving anti-Biden placards is a good choice to represent the horror/cause of an apocalypse. I'd suggest that's a very niche and specific choice (for ulterior motives) because there's obviously a plethora of more appropriate and clearly less partisan footage such as cities on fire or mass riots and looting that clearly would have been more befitting.
    It did not represent horror or cause of an apocalypse to me. It was clearly trying to display a society torn in half by civil unrest... But whatever, I can tell somebody called Woke-busters.

Administrator

England
    OK... Ep4, easily the best so far for me.

Going to be interesting to see what the Gorn look like Hopefully just a smidge better than Kirk's version

-Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    OK... Ep4, easily the best so far for me.

Going to be interesting to see what the Gorn look like Hopefully just a smidge better than Kirk's version
    I hear that they are gay and black now.

Administrator

England
    Clearly one thing we can deduce is the Gorn have a far longer lifespan than humans...

I mean look at this. The Gorn hasn't aged a bit!!!

-Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I liked Episode 4.
    However, I've started to get a bit annoyed by the continuous banter of Ortega, Uhura and Chapel. Ortega in particular is snappy, unprofessional and speaks out in snarky remarks in a way that no bridge officer should ever do... These are people who went to the most prestigious military academy on earth and qualified to serve of the Flagship of the federation. Act like it.

Administrator

England
    I liked Episode 4.
    However, I've started to get a bit annoyed by the continuous banter of Ortega, Uhura and Chapel. Ortega in particular is snappy, unprofessional and speaks out in snarky remarks in a way that no bridge officer should ever do... These are people who went to the most prestigious military academy on earth and qualified to serve of the Flagship of the federation. Act like it.
    True... But I guess if they all acted like cookie cutter robots, it could get a bit bland?
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    True... But I guess if they all acted like cookie cutter robots, it could get a bit bland?
    A series set on a vulcan science vessel would probably not feature very interesting relationships, No.

Administrator

England
    A series set on a vulcan science vessel would probably not feature very interesting relationships, No.
    The tension peak of that episode being four characters all eyebrow raising at the same moment? WOW!

-Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    The tension peak of that episode being four characters all eyebrow raising at the same moment? WOW!

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Episode 5! Best one yet. Loved that it dared to focus on relationships and light hearted humor rather than the action adventure heavy episodes that preceded it