Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek Strange New Worlds (TV Series)

Administrator

England

Star Trek Strange New Worlds (TV Series)

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    I'm so sick of Star Trek.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Great Britain
    Best Star Trek series on at the moment is Lower Decks on Amazon Prime.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I'm so sick of Star Trek.

Ireland
    Last edited by shootemindehead; 05-Apr-2022 at 02:08 PM. Reason: .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Discovery was really lackluster and never really settled on what it's focus was. Season 2 was the only coherent one, in my mind. All that Mirror Universe-stuff was superfluous and most of the characters are so poorly written and acted. Like the protagonist who consistently goes against Starfleet but is always right and always redeemed by her actions. Or the evil emperor Georgiou who interacts with everyone as if she's a villain in a daytime soap opera. Yikes.

Picard was alright.

But this I have high hopes for.

Administrator

England
    Reviews seem to be +ve so can but hope...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRIZxVQMcHQ

- - - Updated - - -

OK... Watched the 1st episode.

Did a pretty good job, and seems to have a lot of potential. Clearly difficult to be set before Star Trek, yet have tech more impressive than glowing gems on a control panel for todays modern audience, but they seem to have found a happy middle ground.

Note: Why is it these folks feel compelled to push their agendas into anything and everything they can. In a section discussing a third world war that happened back on Earth, do they show footage of conflict, tanks, planes, huge explosions? Wouldn't that set the scene? They use images of people with anti-Biden placards etc? Because I assume nothing says apocalypse more than those damn 'MAGA folks!' Rediculous! Hopefully no more political nonsense in this series now...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Star Trek has always had a very, very topical agenda. I see no incongruence between this and old Trek. I like it, but the Pilot wasn't amazing. Feels very TOS though, and if that continues it's going to be a very good thing.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Star Trek has always had a very, very topical agenda. I see no incongruence between this and old Trek. I like it, but the Pilot wasn't amazing. Feels very TOS though, and if that continues it's going to be a very good thing.
    It did have a real vibe of the original series. So bit of a shame it felt the need to pi$$ over so much of the original series canon. eg: From the outset we now have Vulcans engaged in romance and sex? That was never a thing in the original series, where if they even touched fingers that was a big thing And let alone have sex other than during Pon Farr...

But I can overlook all that if a solid story driven series comes out of this at least paying some homage to the Star Trek we all know.
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Regarding Vulcans and sex; Haha, I didn't even think about that. But that's a big mistake, yes.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    Regarding Vulcans and sex; Haha, I didn't even think about that. But that's a big mistake, yes.
    I'm no Trekkie, but even I did a Spock eyebrow raise at what they showed in the episode as regards Vulcan romance and sex etc.

-Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Second episode was OK, some reasonable character stuff, but the premise of music note communication and precognition? I'm afraid that's another...

If they can teleport people with a shed loads of hardware and equipment, why couldn't they teleport the ion engines they wanted to put on the comet?
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

Germany
    Eh, Vulcans must have sex during Pon Farr. However, restriction from having sex outside of Pon Farr is not really canon. I remember an official Star Trek novel written by Dorothy Fontana (original writer on TOS) where Spock had a romantic relationship with a Vulcan during the Pike era (not his betrothed). Over time, Vulcan relationships have been shown to be a bit more complex than the simplistic idea of a 7 year wait for mating season. It is implied that much like the Victorian era, chaste was for show.

As far as the show is concerned:
    Visual Design - I am in love with this Enterprise as well as the design of communicators, phasers, and tricorders.
    Stories - I liked the 3 episodes I saw thus far. With regard to the January 6th footage, Pike refers that as the beginning of the 2nd Civil War. One doesn't have to either be pro or anti Trump to extrapolate how political polarization could lead to violence and a divided nation that eventually fails. It's not like it hasn't happened before.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post
    Visual Design - I am in love with this Enterprise as well as the design of communicators, phasers, and tricorders.
    Yeh, they've done a good job so far.

Stories - I liked the 3 episodes I saw thus far.
    Not seen the third, but the 2nd was OK, if a tad too handwavium for me (singy communications ).

With regard to the January 6th footage, Pike refers that as the beginning of the 2nd Civil War. One doesn't have to either be pro or anti Trump to extrapolate how political polarization could lead to violence and a divided nation that eventually fails.
    Nah... The notion that showing some anti-biden placards is horrific/alarming enough to form part of a montage for an apocalypse? I'm calling lefty partisan studio TDS BS wokery on that!

Why have 2-3s of footage to basically express what is all too clearly just a political statement? Why make that effort? Why do it? Other than to make a partisan political statement. Heck, to even think to use that footage rather than just show 2-3s of a city on fire or something? Unnecessary entitled nonsense.

EDIT:-

OK - Episode 3 is heading in the right direction. If they can keep building on this we could be in for a really good series
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Nah... The notion that showing some anti-biden placards is horrific/alarming enough to form part of a montage for an apocalypse? I'm calling lefty partisan studio TDS BS wokery on that!
    Dude, I'm beginning to worry about you. You see some supposed "wokeness" everywhere. And in Star Trek? Have you even seen TOS? First interracial kiss? Commie-economics? Obvious marxist fables? Geez, man. This is getting out of hand.