Thread: GoT: House of the Dragon (TV series)

Super Moderator

UK

GoT: House of the Dragon (TV series)

Administrator

England
    Give me anything akin to GoT S1-6, and nothing like S8, and I'll be happy...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Well, slightly clunky first episode, but enjoyable.

Didn't buy into the rediculous jousting games etc, with knights just killing each other for pointless sport.

But if it can improve from here, it could be interesting...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    A solid start.

Steady as she goes, easy does it, etc.

Some good meat to build upon with clashing needs and wants of various intermingling characters - should hopefully breed some deliciously bloody political games.

Administrator

England
    Another enjoyable episode, but it needs to start picking up pace and depth now...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Another enjoyable episode, but it needs to start picking up pace and depth now...
    Aye, enjoyable. I wonder if the pacing is maybe feeling a bit off at the moment as there'll be a time jump coming, so this is kinda of foundation work for the main course to come?

It's generally managing to navigate all the 'patriarchy' stuff without getting too forced or 2022 about it, so that's a plus as well. I can't stand being sucked out of the world and the story by clunkers.

Administrator

England
    Generally enjoying it, but really does need to move up a gear.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Generally enjoying it, but really does need to move up a gear.
    I think the climax of the latest episode should push it forward a bit, a bit of chaos thrown into the mix.

Also enjoying it. There's the odd stinker of a line of dialogue here and there, and it isn't up to the same level as GoT at its best, but it's quite enjoyable to watch. It's also nice that the viewer isn't just battered over the head with characters telling us what they're thinking/feeling/doing. We observe the behaviour and actions of the characters and that's that - much better writing.

Administrator

England
    Beginning to find the pace and overall story tedious...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Beginning to find the pace and overall story tedious...
    Really?

While the pacing is a bit patchy at times, I've found there's plenty of story to keep things interesting.

Sure, the transition to the 'older' cast, replacing those in the first half of the season, was a smidge confusing at times (moreso with the supporting players and what exactly was going on with whom and why), and certain plot points felt a bit 'un-earned' and less dramatic than they should have been because of the rapid pacing of the story points ... however, all that familial in-fighting and line of succession stuff (and the paranoia and troubles that it throws up) has been quite enjoyable. There's certainly been plenty going on in these few episodes, which seemingly is not something that can be said of the far more expensive Rings of Power.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Really?

While the pacing is a bit patchy at times, I've found there's plenty of story to keep things interesting.

Sure, the transition to the 'older' cast, replacing those in the first half of the season, was a smidge confusing at times (moreso with the supporting players and what exactly was going on with whom and why), and certain plot points felt a bit 'un-earned' and less dramatic than they should have been because of the rapid pacing of the story points ... however, all that familial in-fighting and line of succession stuff (and the paranoia and troubles that it throws up) has been quite enjoyable. There's certainly been plenty going on in these few episodes, which seemingly is not something that can be said of the far more expensive Rings of Power.
    If the rest of the series, and indeed future ones, continue on at this pace and in this style, can't see myself lasting. I also fear, with the years rushing by every few episodes, the risk is you don't have characters you feel truly invested in. ie: They grow up over a couple of episodes, and risk even dying from old age within a series
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Well, having watched the entire series now I can't help but look back to the first (and indeed the first half dozen series) of Game of Thrones and in comparison view HoD as slow and self indulgent in comparison. Virtually every episode of GoT had multiple interesting character interplays and significant action/drama pieces, where as in HoD they just seemed fewer and farther between.

If the second series of HoD is the same as the first as regareds time jumps and slow delivery I don't think I'll be watching it.
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I think season one has all been set-up and introduction. There's a huge amount of context being put in place, charging through a large chunk of time to get to the brink of war.

I'd imagine that season two will be able to proceed without multiple large time jumps and cast changes, which did make it trickier to navigate the season, but those aside I did find plenty of meat on the bone with all the fraught goings-on related to the succession and fragile allegiences, shifting sands and so forth.

Perhaps part of the issue you're having with it comes down to the source material. From what I've heard about it, it's somewhat fragmented and written from multiple perspectives with no reliable narrator. Apparently there's been some changes made in the HotD writers room.

So aye, I think season one has to be looked at as a season of introduction and establishing context.