Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avatar 2: The Way Of Water (film)

Super Moderator

UK

Avatar 2: The Way Of Water (film)

Administrator

England
    Well! The actors haven't aged a bit over the past 13yrs! WOW!

Is that Stephen Lang as an Omaticaya @1m19s?

At the very least it's going to be a visual feast!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I wonder if it'll have the same escapist fantasy vibe that it generated last time around, you know, where people kept watching it because they kept wanting to be in that world?

Perhaps it will again, after two years of feckin' Covid, that is.

The water stuff looks like it'll be quite a treat for the eyes. I just hope it has a better story and script overall this time around. I enjoyed Avatar, but there was no escaping how generic many of its beats felt and how single-shaded some of the characters were. Yes, it provided clarity, but it was also a bit too simplistic.

Speaking of Avatar - have you seen either of the extended cuts? I got the Blu-Ray way back when and I've done the longest cut a couple of times (that's the version with a few scenes set on Earth at the beginning - makes for a nice contrast).

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I wonder if it'll have the same escapist fantasy vibe that it generated last time around, you know, where people kept watching it because they kept wanting to be in that world?

Perhaps it will again, after two years of feckin' Covid, that is.

The water stuff looks like it'll be quite a treat for the eyes. I just hope it has a better story and script overall this time around. I enjoyed Avatar, but there was no escaping how generic many of its beats felt and how single-shaded some of the characters were. Yes, it provided clarity, but it was also a bit too simplistic.

Speaking of Avatar - have you seen either of the extended cuts? I got the Blu-Ray way back when and I've done the longest cut a couple of times (that's the version with a few scenes set on Earth at the beginning - makes for a nice contrast).
    "Either" of them?

I was only aware of one of them, with the major difference being showing him back on Earth and giving his disability some depth etc.

NOTE! Odd the trailer isn't available in 4K 60fps
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    "Either" of them?

I was only aware of one of them, with the major difference being showing him back on Earth and giving his disability some depth etc.

NOTE! Odd the trailer isn't available in 4K 60fps
    Yeah, there's three cuts - theatrical, special edition, and extended collector's edition.

https://www.movie-censorship.com/list.php?s=avatar

a) Theatrical Version (2009)
    Runtime: 155:05 minutes
    Rated: PG-13

The Original Theatrical Version was, as its name implies, only shown in cinemas and released worldwide on DVD and Blu-ray in April 2010.

b) Special Edition (2010)
    Runtime: 163:38 minutes

James Cameron provided an extended version (a so-called Special Edition) of a majority of his movies - with the exception of "The Terminator", "True Lies" and "Titanic". By the way, Cameron does not prefer the expression Director's Cut in that context, since he is convinced that the original theatrical version always represented his Director's Cut. This Special Edition is nine minutes longer and the following censorship report will deal with it. In August 2010, the Special Edition was released in cinemas worldwide, grossing a substantial $40 million. It will be released as a part of the Collector's Extended Edition on DVD and Blu-ray in November 2010.

c) Extended Edition (2010)
    Runtime: 170:54 minutes

The Extended Edition can be seen as a kind of bonus version. It is based upon the Special Edition and is nearly completely identical to it - except for the opening of the film. Initially, "Avatar" was to start on Earth. In the end, Cameron removed these scenes, because they would needlessly delay the plot. Only small parts of it were shown during Jake Sully's opening monologue. Cameron clearly prefers the classical start of the film aboard the spacecraft. However, the fans' disappointment with the missing scenes on Earth was so profound that Cameron decided to insert them in a kind of Extended Edition. Thus, it must rather be viewed as some kind of bonus for fans.
    I didn't see much point in viewing the middle version, so I've only seen the theatrical version (a) and the extended edition (c).

Great Britain
    Looks like a Video game cut screen lol

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Looks like a Video game cut screen lol
    Except for the insane visual fidelity!

Also going to be interesting to see if it's going to be a 3D must watch or not. Seems 3D has sort of died given what in truth is its inferior image quality compared to 2D.
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Feature Running Time: 192 mins <-- Wow!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5F8MOz_IDw
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I wonder what "numb arse" is in Na'vi?

I remember seeing the original in the cinema back in 2009, when the new version of 3D really was a 'wow factor'. It was a memorable cinema experience and I enjoyed it very much.

Will I be going to see this in the cinema? Not likely - thirteen years makes a big old difference. Will I be buying it on Blu-Ray? Certainly.

Looking at the trailer ... I do hope it's not just the first movie all over again, but with added water.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Nov-2022 at 10:12 AM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I wonder what "numb arse" is in Na'vi?

I remember seeing the original in the cinema back in 2009, when the new version of 3D really was a 'wow factor'. It was a memorable cinema experience and I enjoyed it very much.

Will I be going to see this in the cinema? Not likely - thirteen years makes a big old difference. Will I be buying it on Blu-Ray? Certainly.

Looking at the trailer ... I do hope it's not just the first movie all over again, but with added water.
    I'll see it at the cinema and, probably against my better judgement, see it in 3D. I know Cameron has put a lot of work into it, so I'm hoping for a nice step forwards... Even though the image quality/range is not as good as 2D.
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Sounds like reviews suggest a mediocre story, somewhat parallel to the first, but great visuals, atmosphere and action.
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    So any folks here seen it yet?
    -Carl Sagan

Administrator

England
    Well, booked to see this in 4DX tomorrow. ie: 3D with moving seats, wind, water, smells
    -Carl Sagan