Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prey (film) - Predator flick

Administrator

England

Prey (film) - Predator flick

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Attached Images

Administrator

England
    Immediately on seeing the trailer I did wonder how a small young woman with a bow and arrow was going to defeat - assuming she does - super strength uber tech predator
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    This looked like a shit idea when I first saw the trailer. Still think it's a shit idea. The fact it's also going straight to streaming - Hulu, as well - doesn't exactly ring a lot of endorsement bells, either.

There's only been one good Predator movie since the original, and that was Predator 2. You had the jungle, then the urban jungle of a near-future hellish Los Angeles, and that worked surprisingly well and is a real solid flick unto itself.

The AvP movies were utter shite. Predators was good fun, I've seen it a few times, but ultimately it relies a lot on references to the first movie to tickle your balls before 'nostalgia content' was a big money spinner ... it had an interesting enough idea, gathering up some of Earth's best killers from around the globe to bring to a training planet and have at it, but it didn't really add anything. Then there was "The Predator", which was a fucking joke. Incredible, really, and sad, considering the talent that was behind it.

This latest one just looks stupid and more of a 'stunt idea' and little else. I just don't buy anyone from that era successfully going up against a Predator.

Their accents are also about as distracting as the 'California dude' accents in Deathstalker II.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 14-Jun-2022 at 10:14 PM.

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Immediately on seeing the trailer I did wonder how a small young woman with a bow and arrow was going to defeat - assuming she does - super strength uber tech predator
    You old chauvinist bigot you... How dare you bring logic, common sense and just plain old physics into this?!?! Of course a teenage girl with a tomahawk and a bow & arrow can defeat a massive, bear-lifting alien that made short work of Arnie's team of grown up combat veteran dudes armed to the teeth with automatic firearms and explosives. Sheesh! 101% believable.

United States
    yeah, this looks like a wank-fest of girl-power bullshit. hard fuckin pass.

as MZ said, the only good predator films were the first two, and the original will never be topped. leave it alone.

Administrator

England
    -Carl Sagan

United States
    a close friend of mine whose opinion i trust told me pretty much the same thing. might have to give it a viewing after all....

Great Britain
    It's really good, best predator movie since the second one, hope the director will make more, already give it an 8/10 in the movie review section.

Ireland
    Pretty decent. Not amazing. Not awful. But the smaller budget shows up at times.

All the keyboard snowflakes can relax and put away their silly neologisms. It isn't "woke" and the lead isn't a "Mary Sue". There's a wee bit of "strong female character" taken at its lowest literal level. But that's about it and if that's a deal breaker, then you might as well go back to your safe space.

The worst thing about it are the Californian accents on the Comanche. There's a Comanche overdub, but it leaves the actors mouths flapping and looks meh. It's clearly not the people on the screen talking.

I still think a better idea, and one that would have tied in with the original nicer, is if a Comanche war party had been attacked by the Predator. You could open the film with a US Cavalry attack on the Indians, a la Sand Creek. The Indians form a war party who go out to get revenge, but they find most of the Cavalry men ripped to shreds and wonder what could have done it. Then they are attacked by what's left of the Cavalry with a Gattling gun. The Indians manage to kill what's left of the Cavalry men and lose a couple of their own. The Predator, impressed by what he sees, then sets about hunting the Indians.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    All the keyboard snowflakes can relax and put away their silly neologisms. It isn't "woke" and the lead isn't a "Mary Sue". There's a wee bit of "strong female character" taken at its lowest literal level. But that's about it and if that's a deal breaker, then you might as well go back to your safe space.
    Now now... Given the litany of recent woke fest crap - we've just seen Warner Brothers bin the $90m Bat Girl movie seemingly because of woke puke overload - it wasn't exactly an outlandish expectation that 100lb strong diverse female taking on 300lb super techno alien warrior wasn't just risking more wokery

Anyhoo.. Good to hear it doesn't add to the mountain of woke crud

I still think a better idea, and one that would have tied in with the original nicer, is if a Comanche war party had been attacked by the Predator. You could open the film with a US Cavalry attack on the Indians, a la Sand Creek. The Indians form a war party who go out to get revenge, but they find most of the Cavalry men ripped to shreds and wonder what could have done it. Then they are attacked by what's left of the Cavalry with a Gattling gun. The Indians manage to kill what's left of the Cavalry men and lose a couple of their own. The Predator, impressed by what he sees, then sets about hunting the Indians.
    Wonder if we'll get WW1 Predator films now? Or maybe a Samurai one?
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    The problem is some people see a couple of seconds of a movie and immediately start crying. It happened with this because the trailer featured a woman. I swear, if 'Alien' was released today, even in its 1979 form, there'd be fuckwits whinging about it.

I don't want any WWI Predator movies. That would be just stupid. WWI was pretty sedentary. Any sci-fi shenanigans just wouldn't have escaped international notice. A Feudal Japan story might work, cos they were very isolated.

A WWII film, maybe set in the wilds of Russia might work though. Plenty of isolated areas to work with there. A squad of Germans lost on patrol in rural Crimea getting minced by a Predator would be pretty interesting. There's two hopes of that ever seeing the light of day from Hollywood though. Bob Hope and no hope.

Super Moderator

UK
    Sometimes I think part of the issue of initial reactions is the trailers themselves, specifically certain lines of dialogue that are chosen to be included ... they end up being quite loaded and can easily be taken to have different meanings.

The Rings of Power trailers are including various lines that allude to 'fuck what you know and love, we're doing what we want with someone else's complex work, and if you don't like us buggering it up then you're wrong and we're right', for example. The trailer for She-Hulk is another example: Hulk, who is clearly far larger and more muscular than She-Hulk, throws a boulder only for She-Hulk, who is clearly far smaller and less muscular than Hulk, throws a larger boulder further than Hulk. The pandering is blatant, for one, and condescending to the viewers (women most of all), for two. It's silly bullshit in the place of quality writing, which isn't lost on Disney as they've taken the quantity over quality route (Obi-Wan Kenobi, anyone? Awful writing and direction.).

There's been a thread of 'attack the fanbase' when they don't like what they're being sold, and that's not a good thing in itself.

It's good to hear that this new film isn't as stupid as it was advertised to be, but also by the sounds of it it's not without flaws (i.e. poor characterisation - something which far too many films, particularly in superhero or franchise IP movies, suffers from). There really have been too many instances of 'female character is awesome because she's female', which is an insult to pretty much everyone, women most of all, as it's pawing them off with lame characterisation and motivation. You get talk of "agency", but if it boils down to "I'm awesome at everything, men suck, and the script breaks logic into tatters whenever something needs to happen", then that's not gonna leave a good taste in the mouth.

While Ripley, in the first movie at least, doesn't have a hugely deep character arc, you can't expect that of a genre movie as the requirements of genre movies have to take up a certain amount of screen time (that's why dramas have the deepest character exploration, because they've got plenty of time and it's the entire purpose of that particular genre). Anyway, Ripley, especially in the first two, isn't there because she's a woman, she's there because she happens to be there. Her successes and failures have nothing to do with her being a woman, either, and in fact her being a woman actually enhances her character in the second movie in regards to her daughter Amy as well as Newt and, even, the final battle with the alien Queen.

Back to my original point, part of it comes down to the advertising. Sometimes it conceals "woke crap", other times it actively pushes it in the belief that it's somehow a sales tool ... which it isn't ... and the reason for it is purely money, in regards to companies that "appear more woke" get better ratings on their stocks and are therefore valued higher than companies that fail to "appear woke". Either way, trailers can give false impressions or embed cringe moments or take a fleeting moment and inflate it into something far, far bigger. The same thing happens with promotional articles in, say, movie magazines where certain elements are weirdly hyped-up.

For instance: "Censor". An article in Total Film pushed so-called MeToo and TimesUp relevancy as if it was a major part of the film's plot and/or themes, but when I actually saw the movie there was no such thing. A mere push back against a grotty film producer and nothing more, in a matter of seconds of the total run time.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 08-Aug-2022 at 10:26 PM.

Administrator

England
    The problem is some people see a couple of seconds of a movie and immediately start crying. It happened with this because the trailer featured a woman. I swear, if 'Alien' was released today, even in its 1979 form, there'd be fuckwits whinging about it.
    That comes across as rather harsh - Do you think folks simply watched this trailer and came to a negative assumption randomly? Or do you think it might be because there's been a 'strong trend' in recent years, and thus when seeing a 'strong diverse female' (tick tick tick) seemingly besting an uber duper super trained and armed huntering monster they simply feared the film was likely yet another helping of the same diet of virtuous woke ball crap that's been an increasing norm?

I'd suggest the latter

It fired of my Spider senses that's for sure!

Hearing this is seemingly not another dollop of virtuous woke ball crap gives me hope Hollywood is finally realising that virtuous woke ball crap is nothing more than virtuous woke ball crap. I suspect Warner Brothers also having to shelve their $90m pile of Bat Girl virtuous woke ball crap only gives further hope...

I don't want any WWI Predator movies. That would be just stupid. WWI was pretty sedentary. Any sci-fi shenanigans just wouldn't have escaped international notice. A Feudal Japan story might work, cos they were very isolated.

A WWII film, maybe set in the wilds of Russia might work though. Plenty of isolated areas to work with there. A squad of Germans lost on patrol in rural Crimea getting minced by a Predator would be pretty interesting. There's two hopes of that ever seeing the light of day from Hollywood though. Bob Hope and no hope.
    Yeh! Feudal japan would be top of my list...

Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    ...Anyway, Ripley, especially in the first two, isn't there because she's a woman, she's there because she happens to be there. Her successes and failures have nothing to do with her being a woman, either, and in fact her being a woman actually enhances her character in the second movie in regards to her daughter Amy as well as Newt and, even, the final battle with the alien Queen...
    Exactly! Too much now is clearly people being cast because of their gender (not being X), their skin colour (no being Y), or their sexuality (not being Z). It just gets preachy!
    -Carl Sagan

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    That comes across as rather harsh
    Fair, I would say.

And there's a whole industry of cunts that feed that kind of nonsense "outrage" online, too, even if there has been a recent trend in Hollywood to lean into the "Strong Female Character" trope because they think there's dollars to be made there.