Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Munsters (2022) - Rob Zombie's new film...

Super Moderator

UK
    JDP - so what recent shows (i.e. post-2000) have you not watched, then? I want specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post
    Same here. I couldn't give a rat's ass what all the sheeple are (or were) watching. And, if I'm sick to death of the hearing and seeing advertisements for it, I am even less likely to watch it.
    Yeah, super aggressive advertising for a show annoys me something fierce. I remember when "Lost" was being trailed on Channel 4 they were going at it so hard that it actually made me actively not want to watch the show ... in the end I did and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it was literally twice every ad break there'd be an ad for Lost, it was ridiculous.

I might have watched Squid Game sooner, but the way it was getting referenced in anything and everything like some sort of clickbait desperation to get attention from other shows (talk shows in particular), and all the online talk about it was not only annoying, but I felt the hype would now lead to a let down - so six months later, when no fucker was talking about it, I could view it on its own merits.

Other shows I'm already on-board, e.g. Stranger Things, so I've already seen the episodes by the time the clickbait trains are underway (e.g. so so so many half-assed 'YouTube shorts' from desperate vloggers trying to hop on the Kate Bush/Stranger Things meme).

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    JDP - so what recent shows (i.e. post-2000) have you not watched, then? I want specifics.
    There's a load of them that I haven't watched even one episode, and some of them I think I will never actually bother, especially after seeing some of the reviews around here. Like those Disney Star Wars shows, for example. I was already weary of what George Lucas himself was doing with the franchise post original trilogy, let alone what someone completely different has been doing with it. So, I am pretty much a Star Wars "puritan": it's original trilogy or nothing!

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    There's a load of them that I haven't watched even one episode, and some of them I think I will never actually bother, especially after seeing some of the reviews around here. Like those Disney Star Wars shows, for example. I was already weary of what George Lucas himself was doing with the franchise post original trilogy, let alone what someone completely different has been doing with it. So, I am pretty much a Star Wars "puritan": it's original trilogy or nothing!
    What about, say...

* The Sopranos
    * Breaking Bad
    * Mad Men
    * Band of Brothers
    * Game of Thrones
    * Stranger Things

???

Inquiring minds want to know.

Rising

United States
    What about, say...

* The Sopranos
    * Breaking Bad
    * Mad Men
    * Band of Brothers
    * Game of Thrones
    * Stranger Things

???

Inquiring minds want to know.
    Breaking Bad & Better Call Saul definitely, I've seen every episode, and still waiting for the last ones of the second show. The others I have only seen a couple of episodes. I actually like some of the stuff that AMC makes, besides some of their mega-hits, like TWD. I was following Lodge 49, but unfortunately they cancelled it (a show that centers around alchemical themes is quite unusual, so it's obvious that it would not be very well received or understood by "the vulgar", to use an expression that the alchemists themselves would say when referring to the average Joe.) I also watched every episode of Halt and Catch Fire, which, again, was a rather unusual show, centering around the "home computer" boom of the 1980s. Loved all those references to pioneering companies like Commodore, Atari, Apple, etc. I was surprised that this one did not get cancelled, since, again, it's not something that the average Joe nowadays would be very interested about, despite how important that subject is for our modern world: it was out of those "home computer wars" of the late 70s and all through the 80s that our "computerized" world of today sprung from. As Kyle Reese would say: "Hooked into everything, trusted to run it all." Let's just hope that the "they say it got smart, a new order of intelligence... it decided our fate in a microsecond..." part of his speech NEVER comes true!

Great Britain
    Think this might be Rob Zombie's scariest movie yet.

Super Moderator

UK
    From RZ's Facebook page:

How the hell did everyone get the idea that The Munsters cost 40 millions dollars? Fuck, I wish I had that kind of budget.

To put a little perspective on it all if you add up the budgets of Halloween 2, The Lords of Salem, 31, 3 From Hell and The Munsters all together it wouldn't even add up to 30 million.

Also the movie was never going to theaters or Peacock or Paramount. It was always being made for Netflix which is fine since it is the largest of the streaming services. This was done way before I ever got involved in the project. I have no control or say over this type of stuff. This is a Universal deal.

But the internet loves to invent rumors which somehow turns to facts so the fans can get all bend out of shape.

None of this actually matters but thought you might like the real story.

RZ
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 21-Jul-2022 at 12:47 PM.

United States
    Regardless of budget or how it's going to be distributed, it still looks like a hacked together piece of shit. Granted they are much older, but I've seen movies made for less than $100k that I'd much rather watch.

Ireland
    'Street Trash' was made for 500,000 and I'd rather watch that for the rest of my life than sit through an hour of this bollocks.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Look no further than Night of the Living Dead. A landmark in horror movie history, made with a budget of $114,000.

But with something like The Munsters, which relies heavily on the performances of the original cast, who made these characters their own, no amount of money is going to help. You just can't replicate that cast. "Reviving" The Munsters with a different cast has already been tried before. Never worked. Never will work.

Super Moderator

UK
    Just out of interest, I put the NOTLD '68 budget of $114,000 into an inflation calculator and it popped out at: $970,673.97
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 22-Jul-2022 at 09:40 AM.

Rising

United States
    Just out of interest, I put the NOTLD '68 budget of $114,000 into an inflation calculator and it popped out at: $970,673.97
    Even in 1968 that was still a low budget. Compare, for example, to the almost $6 million budget of a big production like Planet of the Apes.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Even in 1968 that was still a low budget. Compare, for example, to the almost $6 million budget of a big production like Planet of the Apes.
    Yeah, I know. Didn't say it wasn't.

I just wanted to know how much the budget then meant in today's money.

Great Britain
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuLbH_ljnHs

Red Letter Media opinion on the trailer

Rising

United States
    Grandpa Munster reading the reviews on his favorite newspaper

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by paranoid101 View Post
    Red Letter Media opinion on the trailer
    Very VERY spot on!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan