Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Munsters (2022) - Rob Zombie's new film...

Super Moderator

UK

The Munsters (2022) - Rob Zombie's new film...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IthOTN7WekE

And no, it's not a blood-soaked hard 'R'.

It's not even PG-13 - it's a PG ... crikey, how's that for a change of tone?
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 14-Jul-2022 at 12:40 PM.

Administrator

England
    Ummm...

OH DEAR!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Not gonna work. No attempt at "reviving" (pun fully intended) The Munsters has ever worked. You simply cannot match the original cast. And now almost all of them are no longer around. So, no "cameos" either.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm a fan of RZ's work, but I've gotta say ... that's not a good trailer.

It looks kinda cobbled together, doesn't really have much of a flow, the text screens look cheap as hell ... very odd.

Not sure if I've ever seen The Munsters ... I think it used to air on BBC2 or something in the 1990s for a brief spell somewhere around 6pm.

Ireland
    'The Munsters' was great, but it's very much of its time and that time is well gone, even when I was watching it on the tele.

As for Rob Zombie, he's made one good movie and that's it. I wish people would stop handing him money to keep making shit.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Not sure if I've ever seen The Munsters ... I think it used to air on BBC2 or something in the 1990s for a brief spell somewhere around 6pm.
    Are you like... from this DIMENSION???

United States
    Checks all the wrong boxes for me. Yet another lame ass, unoriginal remake / reboot, and Rob Zombie. I couldn't even make it all the way through the trailer.

PASS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Are you like... from this DIMENSION???
    No, but he is from another continent and didn't grow up when it originally aired....

BTW, you say the same dumb shit every time someone hasn't seen something old and remotely popular.....
    Last edited by beat_truck; 15-Jul-2022 at 10:33 PM. Reason: .

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by beat_truck View Post

BTW, you say the same dumb shit every time someone hasn't seen something old and remotely popular.....
    What a bizarre truly "dumb shit" comment. Seriously, who the fuck hasn't seen something like The Munsters in this day & age??? It's been on in countless re-runs pretty much all over the world where there are TV stations since at least the 1970s.

And it's more than that. He also hasn't seen The Twilight Zone either. LOL! So, yes, you bet I will say "that shit" whenever I see weird statements like that about TV shows and movies that have been around and easy to find for decades.
    Last edited by JDP; 16-Jul-2022 at 12:55 AM. Reason: ;

United States
    What a bizarre truly "dumb shit" comment. Seriously, who the fuck hasn't seen something like The Munsters in this day & age??? It's been on in countless re-runs pretty much all over the world where there are TV stations since at least the 1970s.

And it's more than that. He also hasn't seen The Twilight Zone either. LOL! So, yes, you bet I will say "that shit" whenever I see weird statements like that about TV shows and movies that have been around and easy to find for decades.
    He did say he had seen it in passing. Same as me. It was on as reruns in the early 90s when I was a kid, but I didn't watch it much, if at all. I've only seen enough to kinda know who the characters are.

MZ could probably name lots of popular movies and TV shows that he hasn't seen. I could name a SHIT LOAD that I haven't. Everyone has different interests in what they want to watch, and not everybody spends their whole life planted on their ass in front of the TV. So it kind of is a dumb shit thing to go.... like OMG.... every time someone hasn't seen some old TV rerun or movie.
    Last edited by beat_truck; 16-Jul-2022 at 03:15 AM. Reason: .

Rising

United States
    He did say he had seen it in passing. Same as me. It was on as reruns in the early 90s when I was a kid, but I didn't watch it much, if at all. I've only seen enough to kinda know who the characters are.

MZ could probably name lots of popular movies and TV shows that he hasn't seen. I could name a SHIT LOAD that I haven't. Everyone has different interests in what they want to watch, and not everybody spends their whole life planted on their ass in front of the TV. So it kind of is a dumb shit thing to go.... like OMG.... every time someone hasn't seen some old TV rerun or movie.
    He actually said that he wasn't even sure that he had seen them, as if a show like The Munsters was so easy to confuse or casually "forget", LOL! I could understand a cop show, since there's like a gazillion of those (and even then, some are remarkable and unique, like Columbo, for example, impossible to confuse with any other ones in the same genre.) The only show that resembles The Munsters is The Addams Family, and even then it is very easy to distinguish them. So, we are talking about a pretty unique show, definitely not easy to forget or confuse.

I am not saying you have to be a fan of the show in question, but to have NEVER seen such widely known and aired shows, not even one or two episodes, is truly strange, and therefore subject to the "are you like... from this planet/galaxy/universe/dimension/etc.???" joke. Again, we are not talking about some nowadays obscure and largely "forgotten" shows that only enjoyed some popularity back when they first aired, like The Paul Lynde Show or Hardcastle and McCormick, and have only seen very limited "reruns" over the decades, but ones that have basically never been "off the air" in TV stations around the world, and therefore have been seen by several generations, way beyond the one for which these shows were originally intended. I don't think I have ever met anyone who did not know TV shows like Batman, Get Smart, I Dream of Jeannie, The Twilight Zone, Three's Company, The Dukes of Hazzard, etc., even if they were not fans of such shows, they still were pretty aware of them. Why? Because it was hardly difficult to "catch" them "on the air", even if by accident and not intentionally while "flipping channels".

Super Moderator

UK
    I recall seeing bits of it skipping around the channels, back when we only had access to four/five terrestrial broadcast channels. I was certainly familiar with the themetune and the intro sequence, because it'd come on after something I'd been watching (which was probably The Simpsons or Fresh Prince of Bel Air, or something like that, or maybe Desmonds over on Channel 4 etc).

I think it was on BBC2, or maybe it was on Channel 4, but I think BBC2.

I know that the song "Dragula" is about Herman's car.

I think when The Munsters was briefly on repeats during my formative years they also showed The Addams Family (the TV show), and I never really watched that either. I saw the two movies from the 1990s, though.

Similarly with The Twilight Zone, it's so entrenched in the pop culture zeitgeist that it's impossible to not be aware of it in one way or another (e.g. the themetune, the title sequence, the voice over, iconic twist moments and so on).

Plus, there's so goddamned much to watch out there, but also a life time in which to watch it. I hadn't seen a Chuck Norris movie until the last couple of years (other than his appearance in The Expendables 2), but again was familiar with who he is. But now I've got around to seeing Invasion USA (awesome), Missing In Action (very good), and The Delta Force (also very good).

I'd like to know some of the things that JDP hasn't watched out of interest.

- - - Updated - - -

but ones that have basically never been "off the air" in TV stations around the world, and therefore have been seen by several generations, way beyond the one for which these shows were originally intended. I don't think I have ever met anyone who did not know TV shows like Batman, Get Smart, I Dream of Jeannie, The Twilight Zone, Three's Company, The Dukes of Hazzard, etc., even if they were not fans of such shows, they still were pretty aware of them. Why? Because it was hardly difficult to "catch" them "on the air", even if by accident and not intentionally while "flipping channels".
    Never been off the air in America perhaps, but I'm in the UK, so...

Batman - again, familiar with it through cultural osmosis, but I've only ever seen clips. That was getting repeated in the 1990s around the same time IIRC. Personally I'm not a fan of it, but a mate of mine is a big fan of it.

I Dream Of Jeannie - cultural osmosis, seen clips or chunks of episodes, know the themetune etc, but I've never watched a whole episode. And what was the other show that was kinda similar? The name escapes me now...

Three's Company - aware of it, but never seen it. It was part of the era of 'jiggle TV' in America, wasn't it? Lots of good looking ladies with big boobs bouncing around, possibly with prominent nipples for added spice.

The Dukes of Hazzard - again, osmosis of pop culture, the themetune. Saw the movie from the early 2000s (didn't think much of it), know the car, aware of Boss Hog and always jumping the car and getting into chases, but I've never seen an episode.

So while I've never seen a whole episode of The Munsters, I will have caught bits channel hopping in the 1990s, but today, I wouldn't even know what channel might possibly be showing it in the UK. Same for lots of old shows.

Now - The A-Team? Loved it. Grew up watching it, had a Murdock action figure, and I've got them all on DVD boxset as I re-watched them all. Likewise with The X-Files. Married With Children? Discovered repeats in my formative years on what was then called The Paramount Comedy Channel (now Comedy Central in the UK), but they only went so far, so I've since hoovered up imported DVDs of all 11 seasons and watched them all (I've seen the first five/six seasons several times over), and it's one of my favourite sitcoms of all time (no idea where or even if there's any repeats showing on any UK channel, especially in this day-and-age of oversensitive cry babies in their perpetually twisted knickers).
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 16-Jul-2022 at 10:44 AM.

Rising

United States
    I hadn't seen a Chuck Norris movie until the last couple of years (other than his appearance in The Expendables 2), but again was familiar with who he is. But now I've got around to seeing Invasion USA (awesome), Missing In Action (very good), and The Delta Force (also very good).
    Let me let you in on a little "secret": there is another guy you also might possibly have heard of, maybe, perhaps, mayhaps, but never actually seen any of his movies, and who has also made some pretty good action flicks, his name is... ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER

I'd like to know some of the things that JDP hasn't watched out of interest.
    Mostly newer TV shows. I find them rather dull. We grew up with way better TV shows than those of nowadays. Better acted, better scripted. There's exceptions, of course, like the early seasons of The Walking Dead, an example of solid modern TV show making.

Never been off the air in America perhaps, but I'm in the UK, so...
    In a 1988 interview, Al Lewis was already surprised at how far and wide around the world The Munsters had made it due to syndication:

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1988/12...6877599461200/

They were on the air in 44 countries. That was in 1988, long after the original broadcasts in the 1960s. Lewis was often surprised at how many people from around the world readily recognized him as "Grandpa Munster", long after the show had been produced and released.

I Dream Of Jeannie - cultural osmosis, seen clips or chunks of episodes, know the themetune etc, but I've never watched a whole episode. And what was the other show that was kinda similar? The name escapes me now...
    Bewitched. The two shows had a similar premise, but there is a crucial and fundamental difference: Bewitched was more "family oriented", I Dream of Jeannie was primarily aimed at male audiences; it very cleverly and effectively put Barbara Eden's natural "talents" to work. In fact, the show was truly one of the earliest pioneers of "Jiggle TV". Absolutely fucking brilliant!

Three's Company - aware of it, but never seen it. It was part of the era of 'jiggle TV' in America, wasn't it? Lots of good looking ladies with big boobs bouncing around, possibly with prominent nipples for added spice.
    "Jiggle TV" was the greatest invention the world had ever seen. It generated gazillions for producers like Aaron Spelling.

The Dukes of Hazzard - again, osmosis of pop culture, the themetune. Saw the movie from the early 2000s (didn't think much of it), know the car, aware of Boss Hog and always jumping the car and getting into chases, but I've never seen an episode.
    I don't really understand this mentality, though. When a show becomes such "cultural phenomenon", my first instinct is to watch at least one or two episodes, just out of sheer curiosity. If I don't find it appealing, I stop watching it. But at least I satisfied my curiosity about it. It's not like they are too difficult to find. Shows that made it big like that are very often on reruns at some channel or another. And with online video sites today, that's even easier.
    Last edited by JDP; 16-Jul-2022 at 07:06 PM. Reason: ;

United States
    I was a big fan of the show when I was in my early teens, which is when they brought it back on TV as reruns. I thought the movie sucked and hated it. Certain aspects were a pretty much a mockery of the original show. The characters were completely unlikable, and seeing Jessica Simpson trying to do a Southern accent was pretty cringe worthy, too.

Super Moderator

UK
    In a 1988 interview, Al Lewis was already surprised at how far and wide around the world The Munsters had made it due to syndication:

They were on the air in 44 countries. That was in 1988, long after the original broadcasts in the 1960s. Lewis was often surprised at how many people from around the world readily recognized him as "Grandpa Munster", long after the show had been produced and released.
    Doesn't mean it's on everywhere, though, does it? Also, I'd already said that it was on in the UK in the 90s, but it didn't make much of a cut-through. There's plenty of shows that don't get shown here in the UK any more - even plenty of home-made stuff. There's tons of Doctor Who episodes that rarely see the light of day of TV, but the episodes post-2005 are constantly rolling around.

Some shows have been shit-canned because of the content - e.g. you're not going to find the UK pre-cursor to All In The Family - Till Death Us Do Part - on UK telly screens nowadays. The last time I recall seeing it was in the 1990s on repeats. They're probably available on DVD, but broadcasters are too scared to show them now - hell, even one of the all-time classic episodes of Fawlty Towers regularly gets 'deleted' from schedules because of out-dated language, despite the intent to mock the person using it.

A classic sitcom from the 80s and 90s here in the UK was "'Allo 'Allo". It barely ever makes an appearance on UK screens now, and yet the DVD has seen multiple releases of the complete boxset (I got it last year and re-watched the whole lot).

Maybe some super obscure channel buried way down in the depths of the listings, but even then...

I've seen plenty of recent shows not make a cut-through on UK screens - Key & Peele, for instance. I'm not sure if it had ever been broadcast here, but repeats of season one on Comedy Central quickly slipped into later and later time slots. They aired one season. They recently tried bringing it back with season two, but again I think it's kind of falling away.

Still, there's some UK TV classics that are always cycling around - Only Fools And Horses, for example, or Open All Hours, or The Fast Show, or Keeping Up Appearances, or Red Dwarf, or The Young Ones, or Bottom etc etc.

I don't really understand this mentality, though. When a show becomes such "cultural phenomenon", my first instinct is to watch at least one or two episodes, just out of sheer curiosity. If I don't find it appealing, I stop watching it. But at least I satisfied my curiosity about it. It's not like they are too difficult to find. Shows that made it big like that are very often on reruns at some channel or another. And with online video sites today, that's even easier.
    If I'm not interested personally then no amount of 'cultural phenomenon' would lead me to watch even an entire episode. The X-Factor is a cultural juggernaut, but I'd rather fart in my own face for a week than watch an entire episode of that junk.

I sometimes find 'cultural phenomenon' as a put of a turn-off, actually. Squid Game was a big hit for a period there last year, but the more talk around it, the more references squeezed into absolutely-bloody-everything, the less I wanted to see it. I eventually watched it about six months after the whole hoopla and enjoyed it, but the hoopla itself initially turned me off.

I was a big fan of the show when I was in my early teens, which is when they brought it back on TV as reruns. I thought the movie sucked and hated it. Certain aspects were a pretty much a mockery of the original show. The characters were completely unlikable, and seeing Jessica Simpson trying to do a Southern accent was pretty cringe worthy, too.
    Aye, I wasn't keen on it. Just watched it as it was a new film at the time and it had Johnny Knoxville and Sean William Scott in it and I was in the target audience at the time. That was about the only reason for seeing it, really. Can barely remember even the tiniest shred of it now. Won't be going back, I don't think.

Now - The A-Team movie, although not as good as the original show, was actually quite good fun.

United States
    If I'm not interested personally then no amount of 'cultural phenomenon' would lead me to watch even an entire episode.

I sometimes find 'cultural phenomenon' as a put of a turn-off, actually.
    Same here. I couldn't give a rat's ass what all the sheeple are (or were) watching. And, if I'm sick to death of hearing and seeing advertisements for it, I am even less likely to watch it.
    Last edited by beat_truck; 19-Jul-2022 at 09:11 AM. Reason: .