Thread: Monroeville Mall 1977/1978 questions

Fresh Meat

UK

Monroeville Mall 1977/1978 questions

Hi!

I am a lifelong fan of DOTD, and I've started a little website just to document some of the probably-pretty-boring details of the mall and whatnot. Just stuff that I find interesting, and maybe you will to. I have only started it today so keep an eye on it, whilst I grow it as & when I can.

https://detailofthedead.wordpress.com/

I just have a couple of questions about the mall in relation to the plans which are regularly posted as being of the same era as the shooting:

Firstly, is this the end of the corridor where the photobooth was? It appears to run up to the corner of Foxmoor, is that right?
    Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 13.35.35.jpg

That would put it besides lot 62:
    Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 19.05.08.jpg

The shop opposite says Grande Marque but I don't see that on the Monroeville plans, so I wonder where in the mall it was? Is this where Steven & Peter built the wall?

Grand_Marque_53_50.jpg

Secondly, can anyone clarify what/where Piercing Pagoda was?

Peircing_Pagoda.jpg

Lastly, are there any scenes in the film that feature Hornes or Gimbles? These are two pretty large stores, but I'm really unsure as to whether any scenes happen there.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by detailofthedead; 08-Jan-2023 at 06:11 PM. Reason: wrong lot stated

Fresh Meat

UK
    PS

These are the two plans I'm referring to:
    mmbroch_lower.jpgmmbroch_upper.jpg

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by detailofthedead View Post
    PS

These are the two plans I'm referring to:
    mmbroch_lower.jpgmmbroch_upper.jpg
    Got any bigger images of them? They are a bit too small.

United States
    Somebody blow these images up!

Welcome to the group!
    "That's the deal, right? The people who are living have it harder, right? … the whole world is haunted now and there's no getting out of that, not until we're dead."

Fresh Meat

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    Got any bigger images of them? They are a bit too small.

Of course, sorry, try these:

Lower Level

Upper Level

Could anyone hazard a guess as to where Fran & Stephen are when Stephen takes this shot, whilst sat in a well made up lounge area?
    Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 17.45.28.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

This is interesting, what we see as Hornes on the upper floor map, actually is labelled as Khans Department Store on a map shown during the film!

Rising

United States
    Of course, sorry, try these:

Lower Level

Upper Level
    Better, but still a bit difficult to read the names of the smaller stores.

Could anyone hazard a guess as to where Fran & Stephen are when Stephen takes this shot, whilst sat in a well made up lounge area?
    Screenshot 2023-01-09 at 17.45.28.jpg

- - - Updated - - -
    It's definitely one of the department stores.

This is interesting, what we see as Hornes on the upper floor map, actually is labelled as Khans Department Store on a map shown during the film!

What year are those mall plans/maps from? Pre-Dawn or Post-Dawn? It could be that by the time they were made, one of the department stores had changed from the time when the movie was made.

Fresh Meat

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    What year are those mall plans/maps from? Pre-Dawn or Post-Dawn? It could be that by the time they were made, one of the department stores had changed from the time when the movie was made.

Not sure, they're just the plans taken from this very site.

I've been taking a look at the VW scene, just after Roger gets bitten on the leg, and I seem have gotten pretty confused about the route. I'm sure it starts on the lower level but somehow ends up on the upper level! Take a look at how I worked it out and see what you think:

https://detailofthedead.wordpress.co.../display-cars/

I would love to know where you think this location is in the mall - I reckon it's Daisy Donuts!
    Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 21.02.54.jpg
    Last edited by detailofthedead; 10-Jan-2023 at 08:06 PM. Reason: location daily donuts spotted

Rising

United States

I would love to know where you think this location is in the mall - I reckon it's Daisy Donuts!
    Screenshot 2023-01-10 at 21.02.54.jpg
    Probably, it certainly looks like some type of cafeteria.

Fresh Meat

Canada
    + 1 to it being daisy donuts, also grande marque took the place of #10 royers.

I really like your site, recently came across it when looking for references for my own dawn of the dead project, specifically a doom mod based around the works for romero. I wonder if you know this detail, but what direction does the escalator that roger slides down face in? Rewatching it a few times, I can never tell.