Thread: 45th DotD Anniversary Monroeville Mall June 2023

Fresh Meat

Great Britain

45th DotD Anniversary Monroeville Mall June 2023

Tickets are bought and hotel & flights booked

Finally heading over to this year's event in Monroeville. Plan to take an excursion to Evan's City Cemetery while I'm there. Staying from 08-13th June, attending the event on all 3 days and just wanted to reach out to any fans from this forum who might also be there and would like to meet up to nerd it out talking all things Dawn over a few brews
    Last edited by DarklightZG; 26-Feb-2023 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Error

Administrator

England
    Jealous!

Booked a mall tour?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Great Britain
    I sure have. Also thinking of booking the photo Op with Savini who will be dressing up as Blades and recreating the zombie decapitation scene on the motorbike and sidecar. Apparently they will be using the actual bike/sidecar from the movie...

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by DarklightZG View Post
    I sure have. Also thinking of booking the photo Op with Savini who will be dressing up as Blades and recreating the zombie decapitation scene on the motorbike and sidecar. Apparently they will be using the actual bike/sidecar from the movie...
    Ask them to let you ride it! Take a spin around the mall with it, and crash through some booths.

Fresh Meat

Great Britain
    Better leave that until the last day therefore when I get thrown out at least I'll have seen everything else....oh wait just thinking I could get arrested for destroying property and acting like a nut job and could miss my flight home..... Think I'll just leave this time....
    Last edited by DarklightZG; 27-Feb-2023 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Adding

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    Hello I was thinking about going to this event in 2024. I found the pass prices but can't find information on the prices of the tours, screenings and other events. Do you happen to remember what the event prices were? Thank you for taking time to review my reply.

Administrator

England
    From what I can see, with the 2024 event still being so far off, the tour info, like many of the other details of the event, are simply to be finalised?

ps: I'm jealous!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Great Britain
    The mall tour, which I highly recommend was $55 (each person got a very nice,A4 color brochure of the key locations; only few pages though). They screened Knightriders (presented by quite a few of the cast) in one of the empty shop fronts of which the organisers had taken over a few for the weekend, which cost around $22. Included free pizza and beer.

There was a screening of Martin offsite in Pittsburgh however I never attended, but I think it was free. I also purchased photo ops; one with Savini on the sidecar bike used in the film ( yes I know, cool or what) at a steep $95 and another group one with Gaylen Ross, Ken Foree & Scott Reiniger sitting on the bench used in the film for a publicity still for $137. All pics get you a printed 8 x 10 and a digital version they upload onto the website a few weeks after the event. There were so many other pics with actors ranging from the fairly cheap at around $30 up until the most expensive which I believe was the group shot I got. Each pic is good for up to 4 people in it so if you're going with mates it spreads the cost.

I bought the VIP ticket for the 3 days ($156) , that got you a swag bag with an event t-shirt and posters, etc in a nice but flimsy event carry bag and entrance to the last night meet and greet in the mall where again it was free food and booze however all the stars were mingling. It was fun to shoot the shit and it lasted about 90mins although some of the cast etc left early. Christine Romero wasn't looking that steady to be fair, for most of the event. Warner Shook seemed to be always at her side. VIP also got you discount into the Living Dead museum which is in the mall and a must see; less than $10 entry from memory

I do plan to go back in a few years however I doubt I would pay for any pics. While they are cool the cast are so old now sometimes its hard to even discern who the hell they were in the film, especially some of the featured zombies. Savini looked pissed off after about the first morning. I heard he can be a bit of a dick sometimes, but I suppose if you've been attending events like that and telling the same stories for decades it would piss most people off eventually

All in all it was worth it; while there also I headed over to Evan's City Cemetery early on the last day. Beautiful place and such a difference to the noisy mall, which would be expected obviously. However as I said I would not pay for pics next time.

Attached pics are of the itinerary for the weekend and also all the guests (Amy Ingersoll actually cancelled though)that were there (from a special magazine published for the weekend which I bought in the Living Dead Museum shop)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by DarklightZG; 15-Oct-2023 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Adding

Administrator

England
    Sounds like a good time was had then...

Can I ask, did you interact with Savini much? If so what did you make of him? + Did you manage to chat to Ken Foree at all?
    -Carl Sagan

Fresh Meat

Great Britain
    I didn't get a chance to talk to Savini and to be fair I wasn't really sure what I would even ask him that he hasn't been asked a million times before, although whether he was ever going to get his Nightmare City remake off the ground might have been interesting. As for Foree I did speak to him abit, as I wanted to follow up on an anecdote he told on one of the panels he was talking on. He mentioned that he had known Duane Jones back in the day and was amazed when he found out he had just acted in Night. Apparently Duane was cool about it but yet Ken was kinda star struck, or words to that effect. Anyway I was wondering what Duane had thought when he saw Ken in Dawn, however he was abit cagey about it and kind of laughed it off and said it was too long a story to tell, when I stopped him later for a selfie. I approached him the next night at the Meet & Greet but he still blew me off and said he'd tell me later but never did
    Last edited by DarklightZG; 15-Oct-2023 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Error