Thread: Omega Man plot issue?

Administrator

England

Omega Man plot issue?

So I was watching my guilty pleasure 1971 Charton Heston Omega Man yesterday and spotted a small plot issue?

So Richie (Lisa's younger brother is killed) and Lisa then starts 'turning', and finally Neville is mortally injured.

Next morning Dutch turns up to Neville's house to finally drive away from the city, only to find Neville almost dead, Lisa cowering from the sun, but there is no talk of Richie! Why doesn't Dutch ask where Richie is before happily driving off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWB6Ufh4O98
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada

s

Have wondered that a bit myself. Prolly for the sake of urgency in the scene? Dutch grabs the bottle and gets outta Dodge...really not the place or time for a lengthy exposition scene on what happened to Richie. Also perhaps as Lisa turns, she no longer cares about Richie, etc.

on another note: Richie is not only a frakking idiot, he's one of the most irritating characters in that entire era of the genre. NO 12-14 year old talks like that...matter of fact that part of the brain, that allows that kinda higher level, abstract, philosophical nonsense isn't even on at 12 and is barely functioning at 14. Richie's little speech brings that movie down for me. I love the first 2/3rds of Omega Man...and then Richie starts talking.
    Last edited by Mike70; 26-Apr-2023 at 01:48 PM. Reason: yourmom told me
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    So I was watching my guilty pleasure 1971 Charton Heston Omega Man yesterday and spotted a small plot issue?

So Richie (Lisa's younger brother is killed) and Lisa then starts 'turning', and finally Neville is mortally injured.

Next morning Dutch turns up to Neville's house to finally drive away from the city, only to find Neville almost dead, Lisa cowering from the sun, but there is no talk of Richie! Why doesn't Dutch ask where Richie is before happily driving off?
    We are probably supposed to assume that Dutch will question Lisa about what happened (everything, all details, including about Neville's death, and also about "missing" Richie) since she is still alive.

There's other not very "clear" things in this movie. For example: how exactly did Neville survive that massive helicopter crash? Or: how come Neville does not suspect obvious foul play when he returned from the Richie rescue mission and finds most lights in his apartment turned off? Let's see: who, oh who, detests light in this bizarre new world? And that did not "click" with Neville as soon as he stepped out of the elevator???

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    I love the first 2/3rds of Omega Man...and then Richie starts talking.
    Lol!!
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan