Thread: Gen V (Amazon series) - The Boys spin off

Administrator

England

Gen V (Amazon series) - The Boys spin off

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Hopefully the college kids aren't fucking annoying *fingers crossed*

Otherwise looks decent, I'll be giving it a squiz.

Administrator

England
    4 episodes in and quite enjoying it so far. Not as good as The Boys, but still watchable.
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    4 episodes in and quite enjoying it so far. Not as good as The Boys, but still watchable.
    Yeah, it's certainly nowhere near as good as The Boys.

I'm enjoying it, generally speaking, but at the same time it certainly feels like it's missing something. Four episodes in and we still don't have a firm grasp on an external threat to the group. Their struggles have all been internal shit and yet more parental problems (which has become a cliché of the franchise at this point), so I'm still kinda twisting in the wind as a viewer.

It's also curious how there's so much male nudity (and so many willy-related scenes often revolving around humiliation or abuse), which is fine enough in and of itself, but at the same time the show appears to be absolutely terrified of female nudity.

I'm interested to see where it goes from here, and there's neat ideas littered throughout, but it doesn't particularly feel like it's doing enough to really earn its seat at the (Vought) table.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Yeah, it's certainly nowhere near as good as The Boys.

I'm enjoying it, generally speaking, but at the same time it certainly feels like it's missing something. Four episodes in and we still don't have a firm grasp on an external threat to the group. Their struggles have all been internal shit and yet more parental problems (which has become a cliché of the franchise at this point), so I'm still kinda twisting in the wind as a viewer.

It's also curious how there's so much male nudity (and so many willy-related scenes often revolving around humiliation or abuse), which is fine enough in and of itself, but at the same time the show appears to be absolutely terrified of female nudity.

I'm interested to see where it goes from here, and there's neat ideas littered throughout, but it doesn't particularly feel like it's doing enough to really earn its seat at the (Vought) table.
    I'm guessing this is a YA spin-off of the Boys, which means it's trying to capture a more female orientated audience. The Boys is very much catering towards a male audience.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I'm guessing this is a YA spin-off of the Boys, which means it's trying to capture a more female orientated audience. The Boys is very much catering towards a male audience.
    I wouldn't really call it "YA" ... it's nothing like, say, The Hunger Games. It's very much a spin-off of The Boys, and very much of the same mentality ... it occasionally feels a bit unnecessary, in fact, or that what it's adding isn't quite enough to really warrant a whole series of its own, if that makes sense? There's nothing that really says it's trying to cater to a female audience specifically - it's just trying to cater to the audience that already watches The Boys, whomever they may be.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 14-Oct-2023 at 12:34 PM.

Administrator

England
    Well, I quite enjoyed that!
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Well, I quite enjoyed that!
    Over the piece, so did I.

It's certainly not without flaws, and at times it felt a bit lacking in direction, but there was a nice 'mixing of sides' come the final episode or two, rather than simple and predictable good/evil, left/right. The classic good/evil certainly has its place, and has been swept aside in certain stories where it really should remain, but in this instance it mostly works.