Thread: Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (film)

Administrator

England

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (film)

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Looks friggin' awesome!

Administrator

England
    Slightly annoying it will need a part 2
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Slightly annoying it will need a part 2
    I suppose it's a way to get two movies in one long production go, as it were. His window for doing batshit crazy good stunt sequences is closing, so...

I'd rather they give the story room to breathe rather than try to cram it all in to one movie.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I suppose it's a way to get two movies in one long production go, as it were. His window for doing batshit crazy good stunt sequences is closing, so...

I'd rather they give the story room to breathe rather than try to cram it all in to one movie.
    I completely agree with that second part of your statement, but let's be honest here: These films have razor thin plots. They could be told in 30 minutes. That's not why we watch these movies.

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
    I completely agree with that second part of your statement, but let's be honest here: These films have razor thin plots. They could be told in 30 minutes. That's not why we watch these movies.
    Well, yes and no. The essentials of the plots aren't necessarily massively complex, but in order to tell them right it does take a fair bit of time for the sequences to play out in spectacular fashion ... so you'd either end up with a really long movie, or too-short spectacle sequences in order to tell all the bits and bobs with shite pacing and nowhere near enough thrills.

There's few action series out there that can match the M:I series ... other than John Wick, what really is there that's up to this scale and standard?

You've got the Fast & Furious franchise, but that's a totally different vibe with lots of CGI sloshing around the real stuff with increasingly large scale and/or silly ideas (F9 goes to space, anyone?), and it all feels quite safe and made-up ... the M:I films on the other hand really get your blood pumping. I was just thinking of the helicopter sequence in Fallout as I was typing this, and some of those shots are genuinely jaw-dropping. And how can you not love Henry Cavill reloading his fists?

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Well, yes and no. The essentials of the plots aren't necessarily massively complex, but in order to tell them right it does take a fair bit of time for the sequences to play out in spectacular fashion ... so you'd either end up with a really long movie, or too-short spectacle sequences in order to tell all the bits and bobs with shite pacing and nowhere near enough thrills.
    I disagree. The plot's really thin, the rest is just action-padding. You could make the argument that you don't want to rush things, and I agree with that. But in a Mission Impossible movie..? Disagree.

John Wick is a good example. The latest film was almost 3 hours, but it could easily have been 80 minutes.
    Last edited by EvilNed; 21-May-2023 at 03:17 PM. Reason: fdsfsd

Super Moderator

UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbgNIf6uPM

"It is so exciting. It is absolutely, thrillingly exciting to the point that I lost the ability to write coherent notes."

I doubt I'll get to see this in the cinema, such is life, but this is an absolute dead-cert Blu-Ray pre-order for me. Can't wait to see it.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    Two colleagues of mine saw it at a festival screening (they work in film). They say they had to leave earlier to catch a meeting. Apparently the ending is so god damn thrilling that they just hung around by the exit until the very end, and then ran to their meeting. When they got there they were the first ones there - everyone else had been at the Mission Impossible screening too.

It's gonna be good.

Super Moderator

UK
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7-axBoOI4c

Blimey - just listening to Cruise talking about how, in the middle of performing, he's also watching Atwell's performance from the POV of a producer on the film and throwing out new lines of dialogue to her because he's also thinking about how it's all going to need to fit together in the edit suite ... whilst driving a car at high speed during an action sequence!

The man's a phenomenal creative mind and you can easily sense the sheer care and passion he's investing in this movie.

If only more films (and shows) and their makers put in half as much care and attention as this we'd be seriously spoiled for choice, rather than wading through so much dreck and piles of 'meh'.

This is the thing - they're working for the audience, and the audience is the one who's going to be stumping up the cash to see what they're making. Never mind studio heads and blah-blah-blah, the audience is their boss ultimately, the audience is the paying customer. I don't mean to say that in some arsey kind of way, but too many productions in the last several years have instead become adversarial with their audience, lecturing them or baiting them or trashing them, and it's the most bizarre thing ... moreso that those productions then don't understand why audiences have been turning their backs on such poor projects and then show up in droves for the likes of Top Gun Maverick or, most surely, MI7.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I just came back from it. It's great. Just great. Does it leave any lasting impressions? None. It's shallow as a piece of paper. But it's pretty much non-stop suspense and thrills.

Administrator

England
    Seeing it next Tuesday...
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Seeing it next Tuesday...
    I beg your pardon.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Undisclosed
    I beg your pardon.
    That's See you next Wednesday, not tuesday.

Administrator

England
    Well, that was a good solid action romp! Time flew by!
    -Carl Sagan