Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TWD: "Daryl Dixon" spin-off...

Super Moderator

UK

TWD: "Daryl Dixon" spin-off...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UMRzyBmxyo

Starts September 10th.

Well, at the very least it looks like it'll be visually quite good with those locations and such. Hopefully it'll be good in other ways too! Mind you, the sniff of 'precious kid needs transporting' doesn't fill me with hope of getting a plotline we haven't already seen a bunch before.

Still, will be checking it out with crossed fingers.

England
    Hmmmm. Might be time for me to jump back in. I like what I see here
    The body is the instrument on which imagination plays.

MY HOME CINEMA

Being Attacked

United States
    please, so long as its just Daryl and it focuses on him. I think id be ok with it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Watched the first episode last night and I have to say I quite enjoyed it.

The pacing seemed to be pretty spot on, the 'burner' zombies added into the mix add a new layer of threat and mystery (hopefully we'll find out more about them as the episodes continue), there's intrigue about how exactly Daryl ended up in France (we get hints near the end, but more will surely be revealed).

There also seems to be a better focus on characterisation here as well. The boy (Laurent, IIRC) is so far so good (hopefully they won't end up writing him as some annoying twirp who does idiotic things *cough* World Beyond *cough*), and the change in location to an entirely different country has added a little something different to the feel.

I'm looking forward to the next episode and keeping my fingers crossed that the quality is maintained, because I'd say this series is off to a solid start.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Watched the first episode last night and I have to say I quite enjoyed it.

The pacing seemed to be pretty spot on, the 'burner' zombies added into the mix add a new layer of threat and mystery (hopefully we'll find out more about them as the episodes continue), there's intrigue about how exactly Daryl ended up in France (we get hints near the end, but more will surely be revealed).

There also seems to be a better focus on characterisation here as well. The boy (Laurent, IIRC) is so far so good (hopefully they won't end up writing him as some annoying twirp who does idiotic things *cough* World Beyond *cough*), and the change in location to an entirely different country has added a little something different to the feel.

I'm looking forward to the next episode and keeping my fingers crossed that the quality is maintained, because I'd say this series is off to a solid start.
    What a pleasant surprise. I quite enjoyed this. For the first time in a long time I'm looking forward to a next episode. This had a great apocalyptic feel to it.

Super Moderator

UK
    Episode two - and still good!

Again, it's taking the time to give the characters some depth and background.

Also - the glimpses of Paris beginning to descend into chaos, right at the very start of it all, was so cool - the train passing through the subway station, for instance. Brilliantly done.

Annnnd ... fucking FINALLY!!!...

a moat full of zombies!

Administrator

England
    OK! This has been generally pretty watchable so far. If it can keep it up, then good stuff.

ps: Not sure about the burner (acid) zombies though? How's that suppose to happen?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Rising

United States
    Not a bad show, but sometimes they pull some questionable stuff. In the second episode, for example,

it is silly how Daryl blows up all those gas tanks down in the moat full of zombies, and most of the zombies get blasted, yet he survives. He is right in the middle of that approaching crowd of zombies coming from all sides, yet the explosion does nothing to him!

Administrator

England
    Still enjoying this. Not TWD at its best, but far better than TWD at its worst...
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Still enjoying this. Not TWD at its best, but far better than TWD at its worst...
    A fair assessment, and I'd also say of all the spin-offs TWD: Daryl Dixon is by far the best of them ... I mean, the competition isn't great, but by far TWDD is the best of the spin-offs.

The writing is far better here, too, and the pacing is overall pretty good. There's little in the way of annoying characters or people doing silly things. It's not perfect, but it's all-round pretty darn solid, and Dixon's working well as a lead character in a fish-out-of-water role.

Some good zombie action, too, but not just in terms of attacking and munching, but also in terms of how they look, how they're shown around France - especially in Paris: e.g. the little girl, or the notion of a group of walkers having congregated beneath the ever-groaning remains of the Eiffel Tower (that alone is a great idea - 'Paris is weeping' as one of them said IIRC).

Rising

United States
    You can scratch the "hopefully no characters will start doing overtly stupid things". That kid, "Laurent", has in fact turned out to be the token "village idiot".

Rising

United States
    It seems like dullness is contagious in this show, since now even Daryl is doing pretty dumb things.

Super Moderator

UK
    I'm still thoroughly enjoying this show and looking forward to the finale now. There's the odd bruise to the apple, but over-the-piece I'm totally digging it.

Quote Originally Posted by JDP View Post
    It seems like dullness is contagious in this show, since now even Daryl is doing pretty dumb things.
    Such as?

Rising

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    Such as?
    Like trying to engage in close-quarters melee combat with several mercenaries armed to the teeth with guns, when he could easily just leave, either with the kid or in a separate direction.
    Last edited by JDP; 11-Oct-2023 at 01:39 AM. Reason: ;

Super Moderator

UK
    Enjoyed the season finale, although...

...having Laurent follow Daryl all the way to the fucking beach pissed me off.

They needed a reason to keep him in France for another season, but having the kid secretly follow him the whole way there was stupid and annoying. *sigh*

However, despite that little bit I have really enjoyed this spin-off and am looking forward to season two, which is indeed coming and is already filming.

So really looking forward to that!