Thread: Ahsoka - Star Wars series (Disney+)

Administrator

England

Ahsoka - Star Wars series (Disney+)

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    I don't think I'll bother with this one. And I hear you kinda have to have seen the Star Wars Rebels series to know what the hell is going on, and I haven't, so yeah, I'm out.

Wake me up when Andor Season 2 gets here, otherwise I'm burned-out on Disney's quantity-over-quality approach (they ruined season 3 of The Mandalorian - what utter garbage that turned out to be!), similarly with Kathleen Kennedy's self-fulfilment fantasies. Obi-Wan Kenobi was insultingly awful.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 25-Aug-2023 at 03:12 PM.

Administrator

England
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post
    I don't think I'll bother with this one. And I hear you kinda have to have seen the Star Wars Rebels series to know what the hell is going on, and I haven't, so yeah, I'm out.

Wake me up when Andor Season 2 gets here, otherwise I'm burned-out on Disney's quantity-over-quality approach (they ruined season 3 of The Mandalorian - what utter garbage that turned out to be!), similarly with Kathleen Kennedy's self-fulfilment fantasies. Obi-Wan Kenobi was insultingly awful.
    And you recon Andor was worth watching?
    Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there--on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. [click for more]
    -Carl Sagan

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    And you recon Andor was worth watching?
    Yes.

It's arguably two episodes too long, and you certainly need to see at least three before deciding on whether to continue or not (aforementioned pacing issues) - however, the vibe of it, the characterisation, the gritty tone etc all add up nicely and there are some really good episodes in there.

I'd imagine watching on your own schedule will help smooth out some of the pacing bumps as week-to-week it was problematic when you had an episode where it was more quiet, or was promising big things for the next episode (so you'd be there twiddling your thumbs waiting for a week to get into something juicy).

But yeah, pacing issues aside, I'd certainly recommend checking out Andor. It absolutely shits all over Obi-Wan Kenobi, that's for sure.

Ireland
    Didn't have any pacing issues with 'Andor' myself. Thought it flowed perfectly fine.

And it's easily the best Star Wars TV show by a country mile.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    Didn't have any pacing issues with 'Andor' myself. Thought it flowed perfectly fine.

And it's easily the best Star Wars TV show by a country mile.
    Were you watching week-to-week, or did you binge it all in your own time?

Some episodes, on a one-episode-per-week basis, for me, fell a little short of expectations at times (e.g. episodes 4 and 5), or felt a little slow over-the-piece - however, there were some really great episodes that paid off one's patience. IIRC 1x10 really got the blood pumping in particular.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 30-Aug-2023 at 03:06 PM.

Ireland
    Week to week.

Sure, it's "slow moving" in sections but it's never dull or boring and I've no problem with a story that takes its time to build so long as it remains interesting and sensible.

Give me 'Andor' any day of the week over, say, Mando going to Lizzo World, or 'The Book of Boba Fett' and that kind of shite.

Thing is, with 'Andor' I was never bored, I was never not entertained, I was never uninterested in finding out what was going to happen in the next episode and I can't say that about a lot of TV shows that I've sat down to.

I'm three episodes into 'Ahsoka' and already I'm like pfft ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Aye, don't get me wrong, I was likewise always interested in the show as it went on. I guess I just wasn't super keen on the 'two episoes of build up, then the third is payoff' structure they were working with - especially when on the third time around they break that formula, so what are we doing here? I just kinda felt like that format occasionally forced their hand, and overall condensing it into 10 episodes instead of 12 from the get-go would've been peachy.

Of course, being a prequel, it suffers somewhat - we know exactly how and when Andor dies, so there's no actual peril for him personally in any of the proceedings - but nevertheless, I was interested in his story and looked forward to a new episode each week.

I'm not even bothering with Ahsoka. You've gotta watch not one but two animated shows to get what's going on and, well, fuck that. Seeing some clips, too, and how much staring silently at each other and slow walking shots are there? Fuck sake.