Thread: Romero Dead Trilogy and your kids' opinion

Just been bitten

Scotland

Romero Dead Trilogy and your kids' opinion

My son (15) has just finished watching Night 90, Dawn 78 and Day of the Dead 85 over this Easter Weekend. I didn't think he would ever entertain this genre and he has a much broader movie pallet than I do, but he loved them all. Day being his favourite.

A lot of us have been on here for decades so I ask those original members have your kids embraced the original trilogy?

PS. My boy also agrees with me that Rhodes was PTSD'd to fuck and he and his men were the true victims of Day.
    Last edited by MagicMoonMonkey; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:13 PM. Reason: typo

Super Moderator

UK
    Has he seen NOTLD '68?

Glad to hear of a new generation digging the Romero films - and interesting choice with Day being the favourite.

I waver between Dawn and Day as being my favourite for different reasons and depending on my mood. They've each got a very special place in my film lover's heart.

Just been bitten

Scotland
    No, it is there and I'll mention it. I think he wants to see the other 3 movies and I have warned him that they aren't as good as the original trilogy.

I was quite surprised that he enjoyed them but happy he did. He has known my love for the genre for years but as I mentioned he has a much broader movie pallet that me. He loves digging out a classic to watch. I think it is you tube videos that point him towards what he wants to watch next.

He also loved The Thing and is a massive Arnie fan and I would say Predator and T2 are his favourite movie.

One thing that makes me laugh when we're watching a movie together is his view of the incidental killings. He mused about 2 guys guarding a door were probably wondering what was for lunch... "Apple Crumble and Custard"... Before they were killed. Now when he sees an incidental killing he whispers "apple crumble..."

Super Moderator

UK
    Crimble crumble!

Well it's also very good to hear about him discovering the classics, too. Good quality films are good quality films, no doubt about it.

I've discovered some gems through YouTube reviews, too. Most recently was "Stone Cold" due to a RLM "Best of the Worst" video they did from way back and it's such an awesomely entertaining movie.

Ireland
    No kids, but I have shown 'Day of the Dead' to a number of people younger than me who've never seen it. They nearly all think it's going to be some goofy 80's horror, along the lines of 'Return of the Living Dead', and it's always a pleasure to see them STFU when things get serious. I've a couple of younger cousins in America that are horror film geeks, they like Freddie and Jason and all that shite. I sat them down to Day and the poor girls were nearly traumatised by the end of the movie.

A special day.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....

Super Moderator

UK
    Quote Originally Posted by shootemindehead View Post
    I sat them down to Day and the poor girls were nearly traumatised by the end of the movie.

A special day.

Day of the Dead has aged really well, too.

Fresh Meat

Aaland
    I don't have kids, but I remember loving those films when I was younger. It's great to see that they're still hitting the mark with the newer generation.

Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

Day of the Dead has aged really well, too.
    Aye, it has. It's aged the best out of the lot of them. It's almost kinda timeless because of its gritty atmosphere and a lack of "placement", as it were.
    I'm runnin' this monkey farm now Frankenstein.....