Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Defending Dawn O4

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pidemiC View Post
    Are you just referring to the Zombie intelligence concept in his movies? Or Land use of it? You can assume that the zombies in Land can have a slightly higher intelligence than Bub and are able to operate firearms in a primative way. Using the tools that they did is nothing new, going all the way back to Night.

No. Gar has zombies playing with manequins and filling up gas tanks. So what andy held up a bloody sign? Is it any worse than those other things in terms of the "c'mon" factor?

FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by darth los View Post
    No. Gar has zombies playing with manequins and filling up gas tanks. So what andy held up a bloody sign? Is it any worse than those other things in terms of the "c'mon" factor?

I don't think there's any "c'mon factor" at all to Andy in Dawn. It's almost the same exact thing as in the original: Stephen instinctively doing what he had done so many times just before he died. In Stephen's case, it was shambling back to the upstairs hideaway, and, in Andy's case, pointing a signboard toward the mall. Nothing really intelligent on either of their parts, just fumbling through an oft-repeated routine.

Neither of those two cases goes anywhere near the Big Daddy antics that people have been talking about. It's two enitrely different things: in both Dawns, it's just instinct powering the zombie. In Land, it's zombies regaining more in-depth skills.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by clanglee View Post
    Oh Sh!t. It's starting again.
    it will never end until folks realize that yawn 04, while mildly entertaining, is a low fat, diet coke version of a zombie film. it is shot like a music video, has the pacing of a track meet, has characters that range from cliche to uninteresting, is in no way intellectually stimulating, that runners are ridiculous in most cases, and that yawn 04 in no way, shape or form measures up to nor pays homage to the original. yawn 04 seems worse every time i give it a spin. i've watched it a few times hoping to find some bit of redemption in it but alas, i never do. i want to like the movie, i really honestly do, but for all the reasons stated above, i just can't.

there, MZ did i cover it all?

now i am just waiting for the inevitable yawn fanboy asshole to respond "but, but you don't understand. snyder said this , he said that, blah, blah, blah." people say a lot of things and much of what snyder said about this film sound very much like excuses to me.
    "The bumps you feel are asteroids smashing into the hull."

Super Moderator

UK
    I never read it as him being a zombie, I always watched it as he was on the brink of death - then whilst holding the sign up, he turns in a split second - the look on his face when he holds it up first, and then a few seconds later are totally different - that's how I took the sequence to be anyway.

But then again, I thought the whole movie was gash, but that wasn't one of my 110 reasons in 110 minutes why I thought Yawn04 blew the goat farm ... twice.

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MinionZombie View Post

But then again, I thought the whole movie was gash, but that wasn't one of my 110 reasons in 110 minutes why I thought Yawn04 blew the goat farm ... twice.
    i think snyder and company went through the goats at least 3 times.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike70 View Post
    it will never end until folks realize that yawn 04, while mildly entertaining, is a low fat, diet coke version of a zombie film. it is shot like a music video, has the pacing of a track meet, has characters that range from cliche to uninteresting, is in no way intellectually stimulating, that runners are ridiculous in most cases, and that yawn 04 in no way, shape or form measures up to nor pays homage to the original. yawn 04 seems worse every time i give it a spin. i've watched it a few times hoping to find some bit of redemption in it but alas, i never do. i want to like the movie, i really honestly do, but for all the reasons stated above, i just can't.

there, MZ did i cover it all?

now i am just waiting for the inevitable yawn fanboy asshole to respond "but, but you don't understand. snyder said this , he said that, blah, blah, blah." people say a lot of things and much of what snyder said about this film sound very much like excuses to me.
    Right on, Mike: especially with your diet coke statement. Also agree that Snyder started off making excuses for his film, which btw: EVERYONE REALIZES IT WAS NOT MEANT TO BE A DIRECT REMAKE!!!!!) And you know what they say about excuses...

Yeah, for me that was the high point of the film, with possibly the exception of seeing Ken and Scott in their cameos.
    Last edited by Yojimbo; 23-Dec-2008 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

Zombie Flesh Eater

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP76 View Post
    I don't think there's any "c'mon factor" at all to Andy in Dawn. It's almost the same exact thing as in the original: Stephen instinctively doing what he had done so many times just before he died. In Stephen's case, it was shambling back to the upstairs hideaway, and, in Andy's case, pointing a signboard toward the mall. Nothing really intelligent on either of their parts, just fumbling through an oft-repeated routine.

Neither of those two cases goes anywhere near the Big Daddy antics that people have been talking about. It's two enitrely different things: in both Dawns, it's just instinct powering the zombie. In Land, it's zombies regaining more in-depth skills.

I didn't think so either. I was just saying that, is it really any worse than some of the antics that the ghouls in GAR'S films have pulled?

has characters that range from cliche to uninteresting
    AHA !! SO YOU ADMIT THAT THEY DO HAVE RANGE !!!!

The defense rests your honor.
    FEAR IS THE OLDEST TOOL OF POWER. IF WE ARE DISTRACTED BY THE FEAR OF THOSE AROUND US THEN IT KEEPS US FROM SEEING THE ACTIONS OF THOSE ABOVE US.

I DIDN'T KILL NOBODY. I DIDN'T RAPE NOBODY. THAT'S IT. ~ Manny Ramirez commenting on his use of a banned substance.

"We kill people who kill people to show people that killing people is wrong" ~ Unknown

"TO DOUBT EVERYTHING OR TO BELIEVE EVERYTHING ARE TWO EQUALLY CONVIENIENT SOLUTIONS: THEY BOTH DISPENSE WITH THE NEED FOR THOUGHT"

"All i care about is money and the city that I'm from, imma sip until I feel it, Imma smoke it till' it's done, I don't really give fuck and my excuse is that I'm young,and I'm only getting older, sombody shoulda told ya, I'm on one !"

Zombie Flesh Eater

Canada
    AHA !! SO YOU ADMIT THAT THEY DO HAVE RANGE !!!!

The defense rests your honor.
    oh, they have range alright. the kind of range you usually only find in dinner theater.

United States
    Alright. .this is all I am going to say about this. . . I liked Dawn'04 and I won't appologize for it. It was a fun ride, I was well entertained by the movie, And even a bit scared in places. My theory on how people feel about Dawn'04 is that, how you feel about the movie depends on what you want in a zombie movie. There are two main camps in zombie fans. Those who want a thoughtful social comentary, and those who just want a fun eat'emup zombie flik. Of course most fans don't fall into only one of these camps, the lines do tend to blur. But most folk tend towards one or the other. I tend towards the latter. Social comentary is great and all, but I just like zombies and the survival situation. Therefore, I was well pleased with what Dawn'04 offered. Was it better than Dawn? No, of course not. But it was better than 85-90% of the other zombie movies out there!! And that's all I have to say about that.
    "When the dead walk, we must stop the killing, or lose the war."

Super Moderator

UK
    You are correct, Sir.

You are correct, Sir.
    Last edited by MinionZombie; 23-Dec-2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

capncnut
    No four times.

Oh and 'Have A Nice day' by The Stereophonics? Entry no.1 in the list of 'songs you should never use in a zombie film because it sucks assholes' as listed by the good folks at shamblerskillrunners.com.

Undisclosed
    I think its a very workable zombie movie. ITs more in the cloth of 28 Days Later than the original Dawn. It has many flaws, many of which have been mentioned time and again. I think some of the flaws people see are unwaranted because every movie has some flaws in it. I think the opening to this movie was very good, the climax of the movie worked well and some scenes worked well.

Not without problems though. Its an action flick through and through. It has characters you cannot relate to that well, and a heroine that I dispise overall. There are really only a few likeable characters in it, and there are just to many of them for anyone to give a damn about. Most of them are just their to die. So its a good movie but not great. I am in the crowd that thinks it would get a fonder reception without the label of Dawn of the Dead, although I still see why people would not be giant fans even with that in mind.

United States
    Quote Originally Posted by bd2999 View Post
    I am in the crowd that thinks it would get a fonder reception without the label of Dawn of the Dead, although I still see why people would not be giant fans even with that in mind.
    Agreed. Also would have gotten a better reception from the GAR fans if that hack Syder wasn't such an egotistical bastard who demonstrates little if no respect for GAR. I listened to the commentary tracks, and that bozo barely mentions GAR at all. So I get the impression that while he has inserted little homages in the film that he is not a fan of GAR, and put those little nods to DOTD 78 in order to fool GAR fans into thinking that he approached this property with some amount of respect to the original.
    Originally Posted by EvilNed
    As a much wiser man than I once said: "We must stop the banning - or loose the war."

United States
    Just because he doesn't say much on a commentary track doesn't mean anything. I don't think anyone would want to listen to an hour of Romero knob-slurping, in the first place. He said plenty about how terrific Romero and the original movie are. In the end, the commentary is for Dawn'04, not the original.

The thing I hate most about the remakes is that they are already done. We're stuck with them. They can't go out and re-remake these movies the "right" way (whatever that is).

If I had my choice, and was able to go back in time and set it up, I'd have just one writer (preferably me!), and one crew get the rights to remake all three original movies. Then, go ahead and string them together in a way so they all follow along (inconsistencies hammered out), and play like parts of the same whole. Not like it is now, with no remake feeling anything like the other two.
    Last edited by SRP76; 30-Dec-2008 at 01:16 AM.

Super Moderator

UK
    Although do notice how GAR's credit in the opening credits is shorter than everyone elses ... seriously, watch and see.

I'd still hate Yawn04 no matter what it was called, the movie is just sh*t and I have exhaustively explained why from time-to-time over the past four years, so I'm not just throwing an empty statement out there.

The script was diabolical in my view.